Extra-hot Golf GTI Pirelli is back
- Power raised to 225bhp
- Manual or semi-auto gearbox
- Prices from £22,555
- First pictures: 2010's new Beetle
- Volkswagen unveils Passat CC
- What Car? TV: Detroit video
- VW's fuel-efficient gearbox
- VW Passat takes the Highline
- VW stops orders for 120bhp 1.4 TSI Golf
- Revealed: new VW Scirocco
- New Touareg is top of the class
- What Car? TV podcast: March 11
- New diesel for Touareg
- VW Scirocco and our Reader Test Team
Volkswagen is launching a high-performance version of its Golf GTI to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Golf GTI Pirelli special-edition car.
The new car is based on the current Golf Mk5 GTI bodyshell but features a 2.0-litre petrol engine with 225bhp, 28bhp more than the standard unit. That reduces the 0-62mph time from 7.2sec to 6.8sec and increases the top speed from 146mph to 152mph. It comes with a choice of a six-speed manual gearbox or high-speed semi-automatic unit.
Other features include 18-inch alloy wheels, a body-coloured front splitter, side skirts and rear bumper, half-leather sports seats, and tinted rear windows. The car will also feature a Pirelli badge on its rear.
The car is available as a three- and five-door model, costing from £22,555.
However, buyers eager to haggle are recommended to concentrate on standard models as discounts will be higher.
Used cars for sale
Reviews and News
Our reviews are based on hard data and thorough testing in the real world.
Up to the minute news from around the globe