First drive: Ford S-Max 2.2 TDCi
- Ford's MPV gets new diesel
- Fast - 0-62mph in 9.0sec
- Frugal - 42.8mpg
- All the ST in China: Ford's hot Fiesta
- New Focus ST revealed
- Ford adds new top trim to Mondeo range
- Ford offers moveable pedals
- Ford updates Galaxy and S-Max ranges
- First drive: Ford's top diesel Mondeo
- First drive: Ford Focus Estate
- First drive: Ford Focus PowerShift
- Ford's limited-edition Fiesta ST
- New Ford Focus RS revealed
- Ford Mondeo wins What Car? towcar title
- In the Red: special-edition Ford Fiesta
- More Ford Focus RS details
The S-Max has always been the MPV for people who need seven-seat practicality, but still want to enjoy their driving.
Now there's a diesel model for those who want performance, but without the fuel and CO2 penalties of the bigger petrol engines.
The 173bhp 2.2-litre diesel engine is already in use in the Mondeo and will also feature in the slightly more practical Galaxy MPV.
It's smooth, not too noisy and will whisk the S-Max from zero to 60mph is a none-too-shabby nine seconds flat.
Provided you're not doing that all the time, you should get over 40mpg, and CO2 emissions come in at 176g/km.
So this S-Max ticks the fast box. Informative steering, plenty of grip and good body control mean it also ticks the handling box.
The practicality and quality boxes get ticked, too - this is a cracking people-carrier with plenty of space and easy-to-rearrange seats.
The only shame is that the new engine only comes in bells-and-whistles Titanium trim, with its list price of over £23,000.
Thankfully, our Target Price team reckons a saving of around £2000 over list should be possible.
• The S-Max 2.2 TDCi Titanium is on sale now at £23,500.
Used cars for sale
Reviews and News
Our reviews are based on hard data and thorough testing in the real world.
Up to the minute news from around the globe