Ford Mondeo wins What Car? towcar title
- Mondeo 2.0 TDCi takes top spot
- Beats all of the 53 cars tested
- Excels in all areas
The Ford Mondeo Estate has come out on top in this year's What Car? Towcar Awards 2008, beating a field of no fewer than 53 cars.
The awards are co-hosted with Practical Caravan and the Camping and Caravanning Club.
All areas of a car's performance are assessed, including practicality, low- and high-speed stability, braking and acceleration and hill-starting, and the cars were separated into categories by their kerbweight.
The cars' running costs and buying and owning attributes were also taken into consideration.
There was one clear winner - the Ford Mondeo Estate 2.0 TDCi Titanium auto. It was praised especially highly for its stability and its ability to tackle the steep 1-in-6 hill-start test - even though it's a front-wheel-drive car.
Its immense interior space, low running costs (39.8mpg, even with an automatic transmission) and five-star Euro NCAP crash test rating for occupant protection also helped the car take top spot.
• Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi Titanium (up to 1425kg);
• VW Golf Estate 2.0 TDi SE (1425-1574kg);
• Ford Mondeo Estate 2.0 TDCi Titanium auto (1575-1724kg);
• Jaguar XJ 2.7 TDVi Sport Premium (1725-1899kg);
• Land Rover Discovery 2.7 TDV6 HSE (1900kg and above).
Used cars for sale
Reviews and News
Our reviews are based on hard data and thorough testing in the real world.
Up to the minute news from around the globe