It's here: new VW Golf GTI
- 207bhp 2.0-litre petrol engine
- 0-62mph in 7.2secs
- Only in concept car form at present
- What Car? checklists
- Leasing a car: the benefits and pitfalls
- VW stops orders for 120bhp 1.4 TSI Golf
- Company car tax rates
- New VW Golf revealed
- New Golf: behind the scenes
- Used VW Golf buyer's guide
- Attention VW Golf buyers!
- New VW Golf gets charity debut
- VW Golf: more details
- VW Golf concept car emits 99g/km
- First drive: Volkswagen Golf
- Porsche takes control of VW
This concept car shows how the new VW Golf GTI will look when it goes on sale next spring.
It will be powered by a turbocharged 207bhp 2.0-litre petrol engine with 206lb ft of pulling power - that's enough for a top speed of 148mph and to take the car from 0-62mph in 7.2secs.
There's also 10bhp more than the previous generation GTI, and carbon dioxide emissions have been trimmed from 189g/km to 178g/km. Average fuel economy will be 37.6mpg.
The car will have adaptive damping, which allows the driver to select between comfort, normal and sport settings, and an electronic differential to maximise traction.
Modifications over the standard Golf include 18-inch alloy wheels, a flat-bottomed steering wheel, sports seats and silver highlights on the door trims.
A 265bhp four-wheel-drive Golf is expected to be launched later in 2009 to replace the current R32.
The Golf GTI will be unveiled at the Paris motor show next Thursday.
Used cars for sale
Reviews and News
Our reviews are based on hard data and thorough testing in the real world.
Up to the minute news from around the globe