New engines for Audi A4 and A5
- New 168bhp diesel for A4
- Entry-level engine in A5 replaced
- New engine is more powerful and economical
- What Car? checklists
- Leasing a car: the benefits and pitfalls
- Car of the Year 2008
- Security award for Audi
- Audi A4 gets two new entry-level models
- Audi plans eco-revolution
- What Car? Recommends
- First details: Audi A4 Avant
- What Car? test: Child seats
- JD Power customer satisfaction poll '08
- Audi reveals diesel A3 concept car
- New tax-efficient A4s here by summer
- Car Security Awards 2008
- What Car? Green awards 2008
- First drive: Audi A4 Avant
- Audi A4 gets efficient new engines
- New engine for Audi A5
- Audi: no city car, but more Q5s
Audi has added new engines to the A4 and A5 ranges.
The A4 saloon and estate now has a third 2.0-litre diesel. Buyers can choose a 168bhp version alongside the existing 118bhp and 141bhp engines.
Like the less powerful versions, the new engine features common-rail technology, which What Car?’s road testers have found greatly improves refinement compared with the previous generation of Audi diesels.
Performance and economy are both impressive, sending the A4 saloon from 0-62mph in 8.3 seconds while delivering 53.3mpg on the combined cycle. Carbon dioxide emissions of 140g/km place the car in the 19% company car tax bracket. Prices start from £24,600.
The Audi also has a new engine. The 2.0 TFSI engine replaces the 1.8 TFSI at the bottom of the range. Power is up 10bhp to 178bhp. The 0-62mph sprint drops 0.6 seconds to 7.8 seconds, combined mpg improves 3mpg to 42.8mpg, and carbon dioxide emissions drop 15g/km to 154g/km. This puts the car in the 19% tax bracket.
The car is available to order now, with prices starting from £26,710. However, deliveries won’t start until January 2009.
For more reviews, news and videos of the Audi A4, click here
For more reviews, news and videos of the Audi , click here
Used cars for sale
Reviews and News
Our reviews are based on hard data and thorough testing in the real world.
Up to the minute news from around the globe