Polo coupe, cabriolet and MPV possible
- Emphasis on fun as well as practicality
- Cars could be launched in late 2008
- Could cost from £10,000
- Updated Touareg with price rises
- Cheap servicing deal for VW Jettas
- 72mpg VW Polo on the way
- Recalls from Vauxhall and VW
- First look: Volkswagen Golf Estate
- VW orders build quality review
- Safety recalls: is your car affected?
- Golf Mark VI heads for Paris
- VW launches special edition Golf Plus
- Volkswagen goes blue to go green
- What Car? video podcast: May 29
- Two trims become one for Golf
- Individual touch for VW Eos
- Volkswagen reveals more Tiguan details
- VW gives turbocharging a boost
- VW releases Golf estate prices
- End of the line for old VW diesels
- VW with a £74,000 price tag
- VW Passat coupe: first look
Volkswagen is reported to be considering launching up to four versions of the Polo from 2008 through to 2009.
Sources suggest that Polos may come in standard, cabriolet, coupe and MPV derivates - and whatcar.com has an artist's impressions of how some of these models may look.
VW is said to be trying to mix a more fun image with the Polo's noted practicality.
The cabriolet and coupe models are designed to tap into a younger market, while the small-scale Polo MPV will blend the space of a larger car with the benefits of a city runabout in a bid to take on the Ford Fusion and Fiat Idea.
There's expected to be a wide range of engine options, including 64bhp 1.2-litre, 80bhp 1.4-litre, 105bhp 1.6-litre petrol engines and 69bhp 1.4-litre, 84bhp 1.4-litre and 105bhp 1.9-litre diesels.
The DSG gearchange system is expected to available with the most powerful diesel, while other models, including a 170bhp Polo GTi, are also under consideration.
The coupe, cabriolet and MPV models are expected to cost from £10,000.
Used cars for sale
Reviews and News
Our reviews are based on hard data and thorough testing in the real world.
Up to the minute news from around the globe