Volkswagen goes blue to go green
- Golf next to get Bluemotion eco-treatment
- Bluemotion Fox could return 94mpg
- Car capable of over 282mpg still being considered
- VW promises 'more courageous' design
- Tiguan first with clean diesel tech
- New Polo 'cleaner than a Prius'
- Volkswagen wants zero fossil-fuel future
- Car makers told to cut emissions by 25%
- Government urged to encourage greenness
- CO2 targets unrealistic, car makers say
- German government opposes EU CO2 limit
- EC pushes for 18% cut in CO2 emissions
- 72mpg VW Polo on the way
- Drivers may face CO2 limit
- Car giants meet to fight CO2 targets
- Motorists told to cut CO2 emissions
- Seven seats, 155mph - and it's electric
Volkswagen seems determined to improve fuel economy and lower emissions - it's got plans for more Bluemotion cars, hybrid technology and a flagship model that could return over 282mpg.
The Bluemotion brand, with its tweaked gearing, lower weight and improved aerodynamics, will be launched this summer with the Polo, and will soon be extended with the Passat. The Golf is next in line for the treatment and should be on sale before the end of the year.
As well as offering low carbon dioxide emissions, Volkswagen also trumpets the cars' impressive fuel economy. Insiders say a Fox Bluemotion, which could go on sale next year, should be able to achieve 94.1mpg.
Eventually every model in Volkswagen's stable will have a Bluemotion version, and beyond the Fox lies the prospect of a car that could return 282.4mpg.
Volkswagen has already built a running prototype. The lightweight, two-seat, two-cylinder car is still being considered for production, and it could go on sale in 2010.
However, efficient engines, gearboxes, aerodynamics and lighter weight can only take Volkswagen so far, so hybrid technology will definitely be a big part of the line-up in the near future.
A prototype Touran hybrid has already been built, while VW boss Martin Winterkorn has said the Touareg will be first to have the technology, probably next year.
Used cars for sale
Reviews and News
Our reviews are based on hard data and thorough testing in the real world.
Up to the minute news from around the globe