Audi A1 (10 - 15) Owner reviews

Our A1 1.4TFSI 185 sportback has been with us since December. Build and interior quality excellent. Performance fantastic, steering superb. However, it won't be with us much longer as the level of road noise is unbelievable. At anything over 40mph ,conversation is difficult and the comprehensive infotainment system a waste of time. Hit a cat's eye and it feels as if the wheel is coming through. Forget Audi retained value- this one cost £25,000 on the road and is worth £17,000 three months later! My wife and I now fight over who uses our 2 year old Polo.

Anthony Daly, Kent, March 11th 2014

TFSI 185 S Line 3dr S Tronic

Purchase: I bought the car brand new in June 2013 in phantom black with the extras of rear floor mats, servicing plan and cruise control. If you do quite a few motorway miles like me the cruise control is brilliant. The car altogether cost £13,950 after pitching Norwich Audi (my local) and Northampton Audi against each other. Norwich agreed to match Northampton and knocked over £700 off list price. The car took 3 months until ready for collection. I looked at the polo, corsa and Mini but none were as good to drive as the Audi A1 or as efficient. Driving: The car is brilliant to drive the engine is not rapid but relentless you rarely have to change down for inclines and I don't really see the point on spending more on the 1.4 TFSI. The gearbox is really set up for economy and the car is fantastically quiet on the motorway pulling only 2800rpm at 80mph due to a very long 5th gear. Much better than our family corsa which pulls 4000rpm at 80mph. Ownership: I have had quite a few problems with my Audi and have only owned it 7 months having done 5000 miles in it. It was all covered under warranty but so far I have had to have a new rear axle, clutch kit, throttle pedal and lubrication to steering column. Cabin: The cabin is brilliant lots of equipment as standard same as the Match trim polo. Very well put together and really good quality. I will update in 6 months in regard to problems.

Mary Walsh, Norfolk, February 6th 2014

TFSI SE 3dr

My car is nearing three years and we are looking at a replacement, it is worth giving a long term look back to follow on from my older review. In general we've been very happy with the car. The stand out feature is the lovely cabin which feels several classes above almost any other car in its class and has the edge over the Mini. Everything has worn well, all the controls still have a nice feel and although the cabin now has a slight creak tt still feels more tightly screwed together than most cars of its age. Practicality is surprisingly good, it is not a big car but the two front seats are excellent and the rear two seats have proven to be genuinely usable. The boot has carried what we needed it to carry. The negative are a recurring diesel particulate filter fault light issue which a product recall by Audi failed to resolve and the economy has never got anywhere near the official figures. I'm not talking about the normal discrepancy between claimed figures and true MPG either, the figures for this car are wildly optimistic. Other running costs have been good though. Would I buy another? Yes and no. I'd buy another if I didn't feel the need for a bigger car but we now want something a big bigger. If I did buy another one it'd be the 1.4TFSI as judging from anecdotal evidence friends with VW group cars with that engine aren't actually that far behind my 1.6TDI economy wise and that version feels a lot more spirited.

John bradshaw, Cumbria, November 12th 2013

TDI Sport 3dr

BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED!! For a reliable and well built manufacturer I was surprised at how efficient this model is, especially considering its a sport version!! Fuel economy is decent for a petrol, I average about 46MPG. I honestly cannot find any faults with this car; great handling and control on roads, fuel efficient, excellent pick up. I drive country roads mainly and normally you have to constantly go up and down gears, not with the Audi A1, the engine doesn't struggle in a high gear at a low speed. I feel safe and secure in this car when out and about. For a small hatchback I find the boot compartment to be very ample, as is the amount of storage inside the cabin. Cannot fault this vehicle.........

Morven Munro, June 14th 2013

TFSI Sport 3dr

OK, so this car is a bit more expensive but it's worth it. It feels bigger than it is, drives bigger than it is and is better put together than anything else in it's class, apart from maybe the Polo. Talking of the Polo, if you were to order a comparable model with the same, but less powerful, 1.6 litre diesel engine and similar spec you be paying almost the same amount but without the same fuel economy or the zero rating for road tax. This car is comfortable, I defy anyone to fail to find a comforable driving position. The seats and steering wheel are fully adjustable, so much so that even the tallest driver should fit although that might leave no room in the back for a rear passenger to sit directly behind but that would apply to most cars of this size surely? I'm not a slow driver yet I'm getting an average of 59mpg over the 30,000 miles (one year) I've had it. I drive regularly at motorway speeds and often just tootle along the narrow roads of the Norfolk Coast. I think my motoring is pretty mixed, I'm very happy with the economy. It's well equiped, I bought a standard model with only metalic paint as an option, it offers me everything I need. It's been faultless to drive with even the original front tyres lasting me 25,000 miles and then only £100 each to replace. I usually change my car every twelve months but there's no way I'll be getting rid of this, apart from buying another I wouldn't know where to start, I won't bother, I'm keeping my A1.

Shaun Tate, West Yorkshire, May 24th 2013

TDI Sport 3dr

Car is actually the 5 dr Sportback but no options in review menu. Changed from Mini to get the rear doors and more space - surprisingly big in the back Very practical and feels like a big car when on the motorway, but small around town. We also own an A4 and I am just as happy with this in long runs. However, the reason to buy was for economy on long runs, but even after 3000 miles, still only averaging 44 mpg - and this is non-urban driving. On a long haul, expect 50 +, but nothing like the published figures. Dealers have checked a couple of times in case problems with engine management or filters. Voice control, phone system, the music storage, sat nav, interior lighting pack etc are superior to the top of range 2011 A4 we also own. Handles well on back roads, even though opted for normal (non-sport)suspension to make speed humps less intrusive. The 1.6D feels under-powered when trying to overtake (compared with the 3.0D A4), but fine for around town and motorways. The 2.0D option would be my choice, but not available when this was ordered.

M Selby, November 10th 2012

TDI Sport 3dr

The A1 is beautifully made and oozes quality, whilst not cheap it does feel like a bigger Audi made smaller rather than a VW Polo with some window dressing added. Standard equipment levels are good, although the options list is long and expensive the Sport trim comes with everything you need in a small car. The seats are superb, comfortable and supportive, all of the contact points feel good and the overall cabin environment is excellent. Practicality is surprisingly good, yes it is a small car so clearly it is not going to carry seven people, but it carries my wife and I and our two toddlers and the boot is good for weekend bags for a short break or the weekly shop. The car feels secure and well planted with good steering response, however it is nothing like as much fun as a Mini and in a way replicates the general feel of an Audi made smaller rather than the out and out entertaining set up of the Mini. The engine is noisy at start up and unless you hit the gas hard it feels rather sedate due to the gear ratios, if you do get heavy footed then the car feels pretty quick but this does kill fuel economy. My only complaint is fuel economy, I get nothing like the published figures, I average around 53mpg in town and around 63mpg on the open road, this is actually below the average I get in a BMW 318d which is a heavier car with a more powerful engine. Overall it is a great little car, I'm very pleased with it except for the disappointing fuel figures.

John bradshaw, Cumbria, September 12th 2012

TDI Sport 3dr

This is the best car small car i have ever owned, i use to own a MINI, i am i so glad i change, its a much bigger car, as well the quality is amazing the plastics in the car is outstanding and has a fantastic driving position. The running cost is another reason why you should buy this car i am never at the petrol station, i am already averaging about 60 mpg which is remarkable. The drive of the car is like you are driving a very up-market audi of a much bigger car. Overall i am extremely pleased with this audi and can't sing its praises enough, this car is well worth a consideration.

alastair baldwin, cheshire , June 19th 2011

TDI Sport 3dr

My wife has just taken delivery of a 1.6tdi Sport. A real quality item that feels like a far larger car than it is, very quiet and refined with a very high quality interior. Without trying and with only 300 miles on the clock the car is already averaging around 58mpg - remarkable.

paul hampson, cumbria, March 21st 2011