Audi A6 (97 - 05) Owner reviews

The gearbox had to be completely replaced after 2500 miles. Car was then returned again a week later as it hadn't been set up correctly. Mpg figures are completely false the car actually returns late 30's around town and mid to late 40's on a good run. You might get the quoted 65 if you lift the car off the ground! The car is nice to look at and the 'bose' stereo is awesome it has lots of toys and is comfortable but I wouldn't have another.

richard brayford, October 23rd 2014

TDI Ultra Black Edition 4dr

Well where do you start, this is my second a6, previously owned a6 s line 2.0 tdi the black edition is certainly a head turner, it looks superb with big 20in wheels and an all round excellent stylish car. The build quality is typically Audi , the interior has the style to envy other cars in its class, I have owned the car for only six months so still on honeymoon as it were but this is certainly an impressive car. The extras with this spec are impressive and very practical. The only criticism I have is try as I have on many occasions to get above 55mpg is near impossible, my previous a6 could get to 63 mpg with little effort so if you can live with a little less mpg you won't be disappointed

Steve Bell, Cheshire, March 7th 2014

TDI Black Edition 4dr

Purchased the A6 facelift model, 2.0tdi multitronic S line. The car comes with everything you could need, Sat Nav, dual climate control, full leather interior, heated seats, retractable multimedia screen, xenon headlights, cruise control and the list goes on. Everything about the cabin oozes quality and is 1 of the most modern I've seen. The Audi A7 uses a carbon copy of this interior. The car to drive is perfect, in Economy mode you can easily achieve 55-60MPG, in sport mode you can expect this to drop to mid 40's. The accelerator has a 2 click function. If on a motorway and you push down 75% of the way on the pedal the car will automatically drop down a gear and move quickly, good for overtaking ect, push the pedal to the floor and the car drops 2 gears giving you a nice burst of acceleration. The new lightweight chassis allows you to throw the car into corners with confidence however the seats tend to struggle to hold you in place. The car is no slouch particularly in sport mode, you can set these modes to suit yourself using the MMI screen. The retractable screen offers something modern which really sets the car apart from rivals who have recently stuck 6" eyesores on top of the dash. The steering wheel feels sporty and has all the controls you need to navigate the screen in between the speedo which also acts as a 2nd screen for the sat nav, phone etc. The styling of the S Line gives the A6 a sporty and young look/feel & the cabin compliments this. 9/10

Gareth Colin, Antrim, January 18th 2014

TDI S Line 4dr

I like this A6 - it looks the part, has great road presence. I had the previous A6 too, so I can make a practical comparison between the two. The engine is basically the same one, tweaked for more bhp, but not really more economical in real life. Still a great engine though. The dash is more modern but the display seems to be of lower resolution. The fuel and temperature gauges look particularly amateurish. The voice control is a retrograde step, being much less accurate than in the previous A6 even though it has voice training built-in. The slide up central display is posh. The keyless start button is great. What's it like to drive? Very good I would say. Responsive engine, good manners, good ride. Economy - well about the same as before, averaging 38mpg. Best thing about it? The looks, especially the front with the strip LED lights on the S-line. The back light cluster could be better looking.

Colin Ooi, April 29th 2013

TDI S Line 4dr

I thought I should try the new A6 so I bought the cheapest 3.0d I could find. I was worried that is was an SE but it has more than enough toys to keep you amused and the best sat nav in the business it actually take you down the roads you want to go down not the long way round! It eats the miles and so far the best MPG I have managed is 55 on a 240 mile commute, the strange thing is if you hammer the car it still manages 45 all day long. Its a bigger car than it looks, you will find this out when you fist park in a multistory. Because it is an SE it has tyres that will fit my Landrover but at the same time gives you a very comfortable ride. If you want a car that covers the miles and you get out feeling like you've just got in its a great car and in my opinion better than the E class 3.0d ('Ive had 5 of them) or the 5 Series 3.0d (I've had 4) ho yes by the way I've never liked Audi's but this one has been changing my mind, must be going soft in my old age. (That must be it i'm getting old!!)

TDI SE 4dr Multitronic

TDI SE 4dr S Tronic

This my third Audi and my second A6, I was lucky enough to be able to upgrade for nothing from a 2011 A6 SE to my current A6 S-Line TDI 2.0. This car has everything you could ever need in the way of equipment including Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Parking System Plus, Cruise Control .... I could go on all for a very reasonable price and like for like cheaper than the A5 Sportback I was considering as an alternative. The drive whilst not quite 5 series level is still very accomplished and the engine now run in has plenty of power and torque and even on my short trip to work averages over 40mpg. Then factor in the build quality (a step above BMW and Merc) and the dealer service and you have what I think is the best all round exec on sale today.

Rob Follett, Hampshire, October 14th 2012

TDI S Line 4dr

I didn't expect to buy this car before I test drove it. But the test drive sold me. Wow what a machine. It's as close to perfect as I can imagine. The noise from the exhaust is just superb. Put the car in to dynamic (sports) mode and it burbles and growls like the true sports car that it is. Sounds nothing like a diesel, sounds like a refined beast. Out on the road, put your foot down and the tiptronic gear box moves through the gears sweetly and efficiently reacting perfectly to the degree of acceleration required. I went for quite a few options and they were worth it. The car is highly practical and is a perfect family car, as well as a discreet, amazing sports car. Without doubt the best car I have ever bought.

Brendan Reilly, Essex, September 6th 2012

BiTDI Quattro 313 S Line 4dr Tip Auto

Brendan Reilly, Essex, September 6th 2012

BiTDI [320] Quattro S Line 4dr Tip Auto

I last wrote a review on the 18/01/09. So here is my update. Please do not buy the Audi A6. Like Daniel Pinders review, my car drinks more oil than diesel. FACT. It goes in July (Thank God) What a shame as the car looks better than my wife, but unfortunatly is not as reliable. Im now looking at the Volvo V70 estate, reading the reviews on the Volvo puts the Audi to shame. I dont think Audi will thank me for writing this, but please be warned.

Anthony Clarke, wilts, January 18th 2009

TDI 170 SE 4dr

I have the 2.7tdi multi on an 06 plate. Good things, the interior is beautifully built and trouble free, boot is big, has handy hooks for shopping bags, and an (extra cost) cargo net with tie downs - very handy. It’s very comfortable to drive long distances and the 2.7 and multitronic are just so smooth and effortless, you’re never short of power Down side the radio occasionally has a fit when you start the car, and there is no sound, an air valve caused a warning light to come on, replaced under warranty after two trips to the dealer. Tyre noise can be a problem on some surfaces. I often feel like something is going to go wrong, although not much does. Noticed today that the coolant level was very low for 1st time in 2 1/2 years. Service costs are outrageous in my opinion, Β£400+ for a service is a rip off. Dealer service is getting better after some constructive feedback from me. I can get 40mpg plus on a decent motorway run, long term 40,000 mile mixed average is 38mpg . Options are expensive, some should be standard, the SatNav price is a joke at Β£1,800, buy a TomTom. MMI drive very easy to use, but why is the clock set menu buried in the radio set up? This is a car I like to drive and be in, but I don't feel passionate about it like some other cars I have owned. Next time it might be a Honda for the peace of mind.

Tim Banks, January 18th 2009

TDI SE 4dr

The important things about this car are right, the cabin is simply brilliant there's plenty of space, this engine is great, the refinement is typical Audi and in my opinion better looking than the 5 series or similar Benz...Fantastic, get the 2.7tdi if you can afford it, I get about 37mpg roughly....the 2.0tdi hasn't quite got the poke in my opinion

Aaron Brown, Notts, December 23rd 2008

TDI Quattro S Line 4dr Tip Auto

I have driven 390,000 miles in my A6 1.9tdi auto. No engine problems, no gearbox problems, still drives and looks great. Just regular oil changes and an appetite for air condensers. The build of the interior and switchgear makes really high mileages possible without giving the game away. These cars are more companions than throw away cars......and I get 45mpg too. Best car ever.

David Whitaker, oxon, November 24th 2008

TDi SE 4dr

2007 56 plate car, owned from new,Out of 42 vehicles owned this is the second worst. It stalls regularly, I cannot get comfortable, it is thirsty, uses lots of oil, section of dashboard coming adrift, paintwork to bonnet poor, has had engine management problems, coolant leak, sat nav gets confused, auto wipers have a mind of their own. Audi's now too common and overrated, resale values not good. On the positive side it looks okay, accomodation is good and boot space comodious. Two poor Audis now, no more!

Paul Greenway, Lancashire, November 21st 2008

TDI TDV SE 4dr

eighteen months and 15k on clock im still in love with this car. its a lovely feeling to own a car that makes you feel special every time you get behind the wheel and passengers always comment on how much they like it. definatly a limo on a budget. everything about it is superb quality. the interior is totally first class making (in my view) bmw and merc's look cheap.a huge step up from my previous a4. tiptronic gear box is escalator smooth but next car ild be just as happy with multitronic. down sides- wish i had of streached a tad more for 2.7 or 3.0. the extra bit of excelleration would definatly make the pleasure more pleasurable. i have the cd sat nav. it is so time consuming to set up, would be so much eaiser if it took full post code like tom toms. all in all, beautiful to look at, beautiful to be in, beautiful to drive and beautiful to park in the drive. what more could you want.

craig cummings, November 17th 2008

TDI TDV SE 4dr

I have owned this car since July and covered 5k miles. It has been totally reliable. No rattles no squeaks. It is probably the best put together car I have owned including BMWs and Mercedes. I get out after a long journey with no aches at all. The car is very hushed on motorways and returns well over 42mpg. The multitronic box is virtually seamless and there are 4 ways of changing gear - if you want to bother. Space is amazing - easily the best in class. All passengers compliment it. The equipment level is very good. The optional Sat Nav and MMI combination is the best I've come across. I've noticed one or two people have phone problems - I cured my problem with 'drop outs' simply by downloading the latest Nokia software - mine was out of date. Now it's fine. Pre-paid servicing is a bargain at Β£280 for two years/60k. keeping running costs down. I can't think of anything negative to say about this car - and it looks great too (unlike the 5 series!)

gareth lewis, surrey, November 6th 2008

TDI TDV S Line 4dr

I bought this car 3 years ago and recently traded it in for Audi A4 2.0FSI sport. The best points would have to be the interior quality and space especially the boot and rear legroom. It was relatively well equipped for a 10 year old car with electric seats, electric mirrors, ABS, front airbags, dual climate control, variable speed wipers, PAS, alloys, CD changer etc. The seats were a little too hard for my liking but this was only a problem on long journeys and the fuel efficiency was reasonable for a big heavy car with its 1.8 litre engine. Now for the bad points and there are many. I can safely say this was one of my most unreliable and expensive cars to own and maintain. During the 3 years of ownership, I spent Β£4,000 on repairs and servicing with very few months between visits to the local mechanic. Problems with suspension, ABS, electric windows and stereo volume control are very common. In addition, I had a timing belt failure which cost me Β£1,500 to repair, constant oil leaks, break and steering problems and lots of rattles and squeaks both internally and externally among other things. Servicing the car by the main dealer is a complete rip off and waste of time and you would be better using the local garages instead. To sum up, you will love the interior quality and space but be prepared to open up an account with your local mechanic

Fikret Karic, October 25th 2008

T 4dr

Great looks and understated image. Has a reputation for reality and quality which attracted me as an althernative to BMW 5 series which I have previously driven. Cabin is well laid out and looks great, controls are all easy to reach and there is plenty to play with. My Audi has the 2.7D which is quiet and smooth and returns a very good 42mpg. However, whilst the build quality looks good there are some problems. The ride is too choppy and the steering far too light to make the car a real pleasure to drive and whilst the performance is good it doesnt rate well against the BMW 2.5D and certainly not the 3.0D. Inside the cabin there are some problems, the drivers seat has an irritating squeak as does the steering column when turning at low speed. The clutch also judders when cold, this is apparently a 'characteristic' of the vehicle. Overall the car is a reasonable option within its class but cant match up to the BMW 5 series for performance, refinement, driving pleasure or reliability. My last 5 series covered 120K miles in four years without any mechanicals or squeaks and rattles developing pity I cant say the same for the Audi.

C M, October 2nd 2008

TDI SE 4dr

I have owned this car for 4 years now and I can still say that it is a joy to drive. The car currently has 92000 miles on the clock but the engine and gearbox run as if new. I have steered well clear of AUDI main dealers for services etc. as on two occasions they mis-diagnosed a problem which would have cost me Β£800+ to rectify. The interior of the car is extremely hard wearing as I have two children and even they cannot break anything. The only major gripe I have is the fuel consumption, even though the car is an auto/tipronic, with a V6 engine and Quattro 17.1mpg is not a lot, even on a long motorway run don't expect more than 22 - 25mpg.

Mark Stewart, Angus, September 24th 2008