BMW 1 Series Coupe (04 - 14) Owner reviews

Bought my 118d coupe brand new from dealer in Aberdeen and managed to get about Β£1700 off the list price. Had it for 5 months and 6000 miles now so time for a review: Firstly performance is not that wonderful and I often think the 120d would have been a better choice, its not slow but trying to accelerate in 6th at motorway speeds on an incline doesn't work! need to shift down to 5th or 4th to get going. Fuel economy after 6000 miles is about 49mpg and this doesn't seem to change much based on what kind of roads etc - this figure is a long way off BMW figures and a major disappointment. They claim 70+ mpg on a long run! So its costing me more to run than I would have liked especially at 142p a litre! However I find it really comfortable and have no problems with the run flat tyres - but I am quite tall and find the clutch pedal is further away than the brake and gas pedal so need to sit closer than I would like - its also impossible to stretch out my legs on a long run because of the foot rest! But in general its a pleasure to drive on long runs - sports seats are excellent. Managed two adults in the back without too much fuss, and the boot is pretty big with the back seats folded down - I was amazed how much stuff it swallowed - provided you can fit it under the boot lid! So in general a good little car, but consider going for the 120d for better performance, and no doubt very little difference in mpg.

Alasdair Davis, April 26th 2011

d Sport 2dr

best car I have owned to date. The engine is amazing it's so smooth and insulated from all noises. Acceleration is so even across the rev range. Incredibly quick - but smooth It is a relaxed and comfortable motorway cruiser (though the seats require fiddly adjustments), but through it at a windy road and you'll be grinning the entire way. this diesel car even has enough power to swing its rear out if you accelirate aggresivley out of a junction - and though the steering is light it is very very easy to control the car. The SE spec with sports seats is very comfy and supportive when driving quickly.Everything in the car is placed well with the exception of the ignition. Space is impressive - i am 6ft3'' and have bags of room. Space in the rear is limited - but way closer to a normal hatch than the Audi TT! Boot is very useful in size and shape. I've had golf GTI's and Mini cooper s's and numerous other cars and this is the best. The ride comfort is shamefully better than my other car (a passat new shape), and the build quality and switch gear is better than any VAG or merc. Perfomance and handling is far easier to live with than the mini cooper s which it replaced, and very nearly as sharp.

Kiran Naidu, Cheshire, September 10th 2008

d SE 2dr

I have had this car for a week now, and find no complaints whatsoever. Having traded from a Z4 2.0 Conv I was concerned I may find the excitement factor missing, but I can say that it is more enjoyable to drive due to the punchy nature of the 2 litre diesel engine. I am averaging 51.4mgp currently, and the car has only covered a couple of hundred miles. I opted for the 18" alloys which I would recommend as they add an extra visual impact. I look forward to many miles of motoring ahead, especially once the engine has been run in.

Rob Mitchell, Merseyside, July 16th 2008

d M Sport 2dr

The 123d is an amazing machine. The steering is accurate and well weighted, whilst the car as a whole has a very nimble and agile feel. The twin-turbo engine is refined but has incredible pace, especially noting it's modest size. Economy is decent, I'm averaging 47mpg and would say I cover a good mix of urban, rural and motorway driving. 60mpg+ on a run is quite easy to achieve. All in all it's a very well put together piece of kit. I can find few faults with the car, other than the positioning of the drive shaft. With it being rear wheel drive, there's quite a big tunnel through the centre of the car. Unfortunately the German built car gives away it's left hand drive roots as this tunnel eats into the driver's footwell rather than the passengers, as such things can be a little cramped around the clutch pedal. This really is knit-picking though, and is something that you very soon get used to. Someone with smaller feet may not notice at all! All in all a fabulous car.

Graeme Briggs, June 28th 2008

d M Sport 2dr

Have had my 120d for about a week and is most impressive. Traded from a great 530d after 4.5 years and 60,000 miles, but wanted something smaller and economical but still fun. 120d is nippy and sporty with great economy and can carry 4 adults in comfort. OK it has not got the oomph as the 530d or the space but if you go for this you know what you are getting. I have added comfort pack (a must as you get auto wipers and front distance control, plus useful storage bin), electric sports seats and leather to make it feel like home(!) One very minor point on the down sizing is that the 4 cylinder 2.0 is not as smooth as the 3.0 straight six, but once in the car you cannot notice it. Fab car, would recommend to anyone who wants a reasonably practical driver's coupe at great price with low running costs

D S, May 29th 2008

d SE 2dr

I have had the car two weeks and i am still delighted with it, 48mpg around London with 7.5 to 60 is hard to beat. It also pleases my company's new 'green policy' with its low emmissions (it was either the BMW or a Prius!). Excellent build quality,quiet and smooth, quick and good to look at. Got mine from internet brokers and saved Β£200 a month from BMW's best offer on the same car, same deal over the same period!

Gary Mcknight, Kent, March 29th 2008

d SE 2dr

I currently drive a BMW 320d SE Saloon and was skeptical about dropping down to a smaller coupe, as I predominantly drive motorway miles but this little beauty has caught me by surprise! I had the pleasure of driving the 123d M Sport Coupe and I was gutted to give it back. The sport makes you feel very special indeed as the last time I had "fun" driving was when I had my MX-5 - this is one car built for driving pleasure! The economy of the car was brilliant, considering it returned an avg 47mpg on a 201BHP, <7 sec 0-60 car! Road noise wasn't an issue at speed, and the M sports suspension setup didn't cause any concerns even on some bumpy roads. If you enjoy driving, want a car for commuting for two or less people, and want the re-assurance of all things BMW - this is the car for you! My 3 series felt bland, boring and sluggish when I saw back in it and I am looking forward to my new vehicle arriving in March. My only qualm is the lack of space in the back - if BMW lengthened the car by another 30mm, it would be perfect but space is extremely limited and there is no graceful way to get out other than fumble your way, clasping at the seat, support handle and the unlucky person holding the door open!

Jason Tang, January 4th 2008

d M Sport 2dr

Hi there, I have now owned this car for 10 days and am delighted with it so far. I ordered the 120D M Sport as I wanted an auotmatic and this is not an option on the 123D. The car has 177 BHP and with 0-60 in 7.5 seconds it is more than quick enough. The car pulls strongly through the rev range and is extremly quiet at all speeds. I have the optional 18" alloys which I think looks the nuts. The ride is slightly compromised but it has not been at all uncomfortable! As I said overall I am delighted, this car was Β£9000 pounds cheaper than the equivolent 3 series and is probably the greenest cheapest coupe you can buy!!

Sam Sloma, December 30th 2007