i ES 5dr

I have new 14 plate 1 series 120d Xdrive M Sport. Its a great car and the intelligent 4WD is superb, switching drive from F40,R60 at normal driving to 100% to either F or R. Minis on bends look out. Slight oversteer on a fast bend but easily controllable. The engine is 181BHP & the 6 speed close ratio man G/B is slick once you get used to it. It the wet it powers through puddles without any slipping. The interior is fine with the normal 1 knob menu selector near the left hand. The exterior M Sport body in Estorial Blue stands out and the 18" M Sport alloys look good. Bluetooth, climate control, rear sensors & cruise control are standard. I love it. Criticisms : pedals are offset so driving position slightly angled. 2L Turbo diesel engine is a bit noisy at high speeds & wind noise from rear corners is noticeable at 70mph. The mpg average for me with mixed driving is only 42mph, a lot lower than stated. Overall a great car & I can recommend the Xdrive, especially like me if you live up country lanes. Ice & snow are a doddle & I have even driven across a muddy field with confidence.

keith baldwin, monmouthshire, July 13th 2014

d M Sport 5dr

I had this car as a loan car so my impressions are based on only having done a 1000 miles or so in it. I have to say I’m glad I never chose one as apart from superb build quality the β€œultimate driving machine” has a few issues… Firstly as sports variant of a sporting marque I didn’t find it particularly sporty to look at or drive. The suspension and steering a tad vague compared to my A200. Then there’s the gear shifter; push it forward for reverse and backwards for forward. Is it just me! The steering wheel is positioned not for comfort but for the best view of the instruments beyond and even then you have to compromise and not see everything without ducking about. Room in the rear is poor.

Andrew Bathie, March 8th 2014

i ES 5dr

I made the mistake of thinking that if you spend Β£25K on a new BMW it might be fitted with such basic equipment as satellite navigation. Wrong! If you want a car with 'options' such as this or heated seats or parking sensors buy a Seat Leon or Audi A3. And don't believe the slogan, 'you didn't compromise when you chose it' You did but they didn't tell you. They also make sure you don't get to see the car before you've paid for it.It has 'connected drive' but all they could tell me was that you have a number to ring but who answered and what they could tell you wasn't known!! A few days after you take delivery they send you an expensive looking box with a glossy brochure about 'MyBMW.com' It's another smoke and mirrors feature which is totally worthless. In short, but something else. I wish I had!

Richard Broughton, Suffolk, December 4th 2013

d Sport 3dr

It is hard to choose a new car as there are so many brilliant ones to choose from. So all things being equal you may as well buy the one that is best to drive, has the most character and makes you smile the most. A Golf is about as exciting as a well made dishwasher. An Audi A3 is actually made from reconstituted lard. The 1 series however is designed by a human that loves a sharp knife and marmite. This is not only the one rear-wheel drive car in its class, which makes it the best to drive, but also the only one that comes in orange. You may be able to squeeze in a six-pack more of loo roll into the boot of the Golf, and the Audi may cure insomnia, but the 120d Sport is the one that will actually make you smile.

Gerald Taylor, Devon, November 24th 2013

i SE 5dr

Love my car - 59 plate with 54k on clock. BUT - am having to pay massive repair bill due to plastic guard on timing chain snapping, causing damage to three sensors. Dealer quote for repair in excess of Β£1250, independent Β£850. I feel very let down by this, not a cheap car and always thought BMW excellent 'brand'. Have had five or six cars bought new in the past (Vauxhall/Citroen/Hyundai), kept for about 4/5 yrs each and have never had to pay a repair bill like this! My husband has a Honda CRV, ten yrs old and 154k miles and has never had a repair bill!! Would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had this problem. Sorry I didn't take offered extended warranty out now!

Alison Rudock, October 7th 2013

d Sport 5dr

Purchased my 116D sport in January of this year and have covered about 6000 miles. Moved down from an F25 X3 which failed to deliver on the promised economy figures. All in all I'm very satisfied with the performance and economy, overall mpg is around 53 but will do 70mpg on a gentle long run. Handling is good but the steering is very light and sensitive which takes a while to get used to. My car is standard spec which means non climate air con, a step down in spec from the previous sport model. Cabin space is adequate and at 6ft I can achieve a good driving position at the expense of rear leg room. I wouldn't recommend this as a family car, whilst cabin and boot space is better than the previous model it is still relatively small. There isn't a huge amount of storage in the cabin, the glove box is small and the centre console storage is shallow. The door bins are also small. The rear seats fold down to provide a relatively large and flat load area but not really big enough for the Ikea run. My partner has the 118d and quite frankly there is little to separate the two so if you are considering buying one of these go for the 116d which is cheaper to buy and to insure. The car feels well built with no rattles or squeaks though the run flat tyres give a firm but not uncomfortable ride. You WILL need winter tyres, hopeless in the snow but a set of winter wheels really do make the world of difference! In conclusion, a nice little car that I intend to keep for a few years.

Steve Krawczyk, Derbyshire, August 23rd 2013

i M Sport 5dr

I took my 3 series tourer into BMW for a service and whilst waiting for the car, fell in love with a new 1 series M Sport in Estoril Blue on display. Go find one and see what I mean - it is gorgeous. My wife and two teenage girls believe a car is a car but they all equally raved about this one. BMW has lost its way in the styling department in previous times to the benefit of Audi with some quite spectacular designs. But BMW is fighting back and let's be honest, we all talk about mpg, ride, handling performance etc but at the end of the day these can be excuses for the real reasons for buying a car. This particular 1 series is beautiful in and out - the interior dimensions are identical to the Audi A3 Sportback and Golf although the press would have you believe otherwise. I wonder if VW brought out a 3 wheel Golf with upstairs accommodation it would still be voted car of the year by the press. The M Sport petrol car is more refined than my previous 3 series and the interior space is comparable. At just the wrong side of 50 and buying cars for 33 years I feel invigorated at the thrill of driving this car. The acceleration is impressive and the 8 speed auto is seamless. Performance and fuel consumption figures are largely similar and fabricated by all manufacturers, so why use them to justify the reasons for buying a car. If you feel good driving it, buy it. My experience with BMW service and after-care has also top notch whereas VW has been quite different!

Colin Smith, Essex, August 14th 2013

i Sport 3dr

I have just purchased a BMW 1 Series 116i Sport 3dr in white with an options pack which gives smoked chrome exhaust, parking sensors, cruise control and brushed steel interior trim to go along with the already fantastic trim level the Sport gives you with DAB radio, sports seats, larger gun metal alloys etc etc. I have been extremely impressed thus far with the build quality and the look of the 3dr which is so much more sporty than the 5dr. The drive is very comfortable and when placed in sport mode the performance is not too bad at all, at the minute I am mostly driving in eco mode which is returning over 60mpg on the motorway and an average of 48.9mpg The seats are very comfortable and I very much like the electronic side adjustment which gives the sports seats a very firm hold of you. I owned an older 1 series and this car is such a leap forward from the older car in both looks and quality, it really is night and day and that coupled with the deals BMW are giving then for me its a no brainer, I mean everyone has a ford focus and while the focus is a good car this is just a little bit more special. Thus far it has been a pleasure to own and I see no reason why that will not continue.

Michael McCusker, July 23rd 2013

i SE 5dr

After 20 very happy months with a SEAT Leon FR TSi 211 we decided due to our low millage to get something a little cheaper on RFL and fuel. It ended up as either a Civic or a 1 Series. Civic lost out on a weak engine and my wife struggled to see all the dials properly. Initially I was looking at a 116ED and got some figures before the dealer suggesting looking at a 116i SE due to our low millage. With a bit of negotiating and the sharpening of pencils the 116i SE came out on top. Β£20 a month less than we were paying for the Leon on top and with a discount that by delivery equated to 13%. As between ordering in November and Delivery in March BMW upped the Spec with DAB and rain/light sensor which we did not have to pay extra for. The Β£300 servicing was another bonus adding to the reduced running costs compared to the Leon. As for the car I much prefer SE to M SPort after having spend some time in both. The cheaper SE seems much more comfortable and smaller wheels kick up less road noise. The engine compared to a previous E87 116i I owned is in a different league. It may be an adapted Mini engine but works really well in the 1 Series giving a good blend of performance and economy. Very smooth and linear power deliver that managed 47mpg on the steady drive along A roads home. Ride is another leap forward compared to the E87 yet still feels glued to the road and steering that lets you know exactly what the front is doing. Interior/boot space is much improved on the F20.

Jeremy Green, England, March 8th 2013

i ES 5dr

Pros. The car is quick. Good on fuel and the seats are comfortable. The car and engine feel solid and during my 13k miles of ownership never let me down. Good looking car. Hold there value. Cons. The steering and ride is very heavy and has caused me some pain over a long period as I do over 100 miles a day. The car is fragile, all 4 wheels buckled when the car was accidently driven off an 8inch curb at 1-2mph by a dealership collecting the car for a service. Maintenance on the car is expensive with a new tyre costing well over Β£200 and services at Β£400+. My 1 series was on its 3rd set of brake disks and had only 50k miles on the clock. Screen washer freezes up a will not defrost if the temperature is below 0'c even after a 2 hour drive. In winter the handling is outright dangerous with even the lightest sprinkle of snow. The rear windscreen gets covered in spray when its wet and the rear wiper only operates once every 15 seconds making it hard to see behind through the mirror. You feel every little bump which is good when you’re racing but not really for every day. Small Boot.

Jason King, January 24th 2013

d SE 5dr

Traded in an old BMW 118i 2008 SE model (33mpg) and this newer model beats it hands down. Handling - better road grip, ride is gentler, husband used to hate the old car so much because of the hard ride. Driving it is a doddle with the automatic now that I commute 70miles per day. Build quality also better - solid feel - and underneath the bonnet - wow - the engine looks so pretty. I didn't notice too much about the light steering but overall, I'm very satisfied. Compared with the mercedes c class diesel automatic 250, this car shapes up pretty good, albeit slower from 0-60 sec.

Sue Chan, HAMPSHIRE, January 13th 2013

i Sport 5dr

I've been running the car for a couple of months now, bought new. The car is styled nicely in the 'Sport' trim, particularly with its grey and aluminium-look alloys, and wide body skirts. Inside, the Sport model offers red detailing including seat and steering wheel stitching, and a red trim below the piano black veneer on the dash. The iDrive system works in true, original BMW style, although the iPhone cable that connects the 30 pin connector to both USB and AUX input at the same time can be expensive and temperamental. Seating position is relatively comfortable, although I have done no journey longer than a couple of hours or so as yet. The car is my first, aged 17, so I was particularly looking for the most under-powered engine variant in order to obtain satisfactory insurance quotes. Obviously, it doesn't have any spare power lying in wait for risky overtaking or impressive acceleration on motorways, but it does have enough grunt in the lower gears for sharp starts, and acceleration from say 30-50 is very brisk. 105 BHP is enough for this car, but if your insurance premiums are more affordable than mine then I'd recommend not simply going for the lowest powered model without at least trying faster versions as well. The Sport and Sport + modes are great fun on country road, whilst Eco Pro mode seems to deliver impressive fuel saving results. However, the avg MPG so far has been well under what I had expected from such a small engine and body.

Laurie Mackrell, East Lothian, January 11th 2013

i ES 5dr

Ordered one of these new in February and we are pleased, however not much interior space The car is a real drivers experience, the power is sent to the rear and the engine is mounted longitudinal for superior road holding and to reduce understeer, and this works.It handles perfectly, well balanced amazing front end grip and precise steering. However this is just how it drives and not what its like to live with on a daily basis , having previously owned a MK5 golf diesel there was plenty of room for our young baby and the Mrs, i appreciate this is not a car to buy for practicality but it is in direct competition with premium badge hatch backs. And having four doors and a boot it made sense in my head, but we are now realising now the boot is a lot smaller than the golf, as is the cabin and it feels more crampt when inside. The main reason for this is due to the way the engine is mounted this seems to take up valuable space. Also after research i have found the engine is not made in germany with obsessive precision as i thought, but they have sourced a French Citreon power plant which is bolted together in Birmingham.We have also had a few electrical gremlins, in the first month the cigarette lighter failed leaving us lost without sat nav and there is interference coming through the stereo/idrive when using a Ipod. Main dealer has been excellent and have rectified the cigarette lighter but the ipod interference is ongoing. Overall a well built solid vehicle

paul hylton, essex, November 24th 2012

i Sport 5dr

I have had my 118i for 10 months now, and it's a big improvement on the old model (I had 2 of the old model). The ride and build quality are much better than the old model and the engine is much more economical whilst still having plenty of power. It's smooth, quiet and handles well, although mine has the servotronic steering, which is too light and requires too much wheel twirling when you're parking. The 8 speed auto is very smooth but the start stop is a bit jerky (especially when you drive off from traffic lights) and avoid putting the car in eco pro mode if you need to accelerate quickly (eg going onto a roundabout): it blunts acceleration and unless you're driving very gently makes it frustrating to drive. I know it looks gawky from the front (they made a bit mistake with the styling there) but from other angles it looks fine and the interior is great. Not so much space in the back but plenty up front and a big boot. Quality is faultless: nothing has gone wrong. The only thing I'd say is that it's expensive to buy and not only are some things extra that were standard on the old model (eg climate control, rear parking sensors), you can only get certain options in expensive packs (eg I had to spend over Β£1000 for the visibility pack when I only wanted xenon lights), but I got a decent discount which lessened the pain. Overall a great car, would buy another any time.

Simon Duffy, October 19th 2012

d SE 5dr

I like the car, drives nice but mine went faulty 4 times within 8 weeks, not good for a MY2011 plate, same fault each time, BMW Dealer and Head Office were not interested. What chance have you got when the Head Office says not willing to escalate as each dealer is a franchise? The car handles and has got enough power to cruise nicely, I was getting 500-600miles out of a full tank on my journies. Shame about the reliability and Customer Service.

Paul Homer, Glamorgan, September 13th 2012

d M Sport 5dr

We have owned our 1 series for over 2 years now and have covered nearly 60000 miles in it. My girlfriend is the main driver and she returns about 42mpg which is quite respectable. Personally I only manage to achieve about 38mpg but then I drive with a little bit more β€œspirit” than maybe she does. It’s our first BMW and I have to say that the overall experience hasn’t really been an enjoyable one. The car itself is uncomfortable, with the suspension crashing over the smallest pothole or bump in the road and the seats give us a back ache if we’re in the car for more than an hour. The driver visibility is really bad with the A-pillar blocking out a lot of the road and there is a general claustrophobic feeling for me (and I’m only 6 foot). The boot is adequate in size and the rear seats are ok for an adult. It’s the little things that make owning it a bad experience; like using the awkward window switches (you have to lift your shoulders and then force your elbow in the small gap between the seat and the door) or the heavy, thick steering wheel at slow speeds, the clunky gearbox, or the irritating warning beeps for everything, or the poorly positioned cup holders where you have to lift the armrest to use them...the list goes on. It just doesn’t gel as a well designed package.Our experience with the dealers hasn’t been pleasant either, with awkward and unhelpful people serving us and each annual visit has cost over Β£1200. Probably wouldn't buy another!

robert craft, Warwickshire, April 13th 2012

d SE 3dr

I wrote the 4th review on the list about my 116 d se. I stand by everything I said in it. My fuel consumption with 14500 miles on it has new gone down to 37 MPG. That is something i took up as an issue with the dealer. Their response??? They laughed at me at said I must be mistaken. Im not. I dont think this is a way to treat a customer, but to be honest I dont think they give a damn. The car has just been returned to me having had the stop start leave me stranded in the middle of a dual carriageway. After being recovered I was told that I needed a new wiring loom and a new starter motor. Thank God for warranty. I'm so hacked off now that not only would I NOT buy another BMW I'm very seriosly considering getting rid of it. If there is a follow up I will of course post it on here but I dont think I need to hold my breath waiting for a response.

mark darke, surrey, March 8th 2012

d Sport 5dr

Being a mum of two who has had 3 X5's the last being a very nice 40d M Sport, the decision to go to a smaller car was one which did fill me with dread despite getting a little tired of the running costs of the X5. It was only that we ended up with two 4x4's on the drive I decided to be sensible and sell mine in order to buy more handbags of course! All I can say is amazing! Don't get me wrong this is not a big car but then again I think if we are all sensible do we really need such big cars? I run back and forth to the school, work and do weekends to visit family and "Nigel" as my car is referred too copes very well indeed. Being a busy working Mum I am generally stop start and at the moment I am getting around 44mpg, Β£70 to fill the tank and around 500 miles from this, the tax is also ONLY Β£30 per annum. Inside the Idrive is as brilliant as ever and the quality seems better as there is not as much of the metal trim inside. It handles really well, the 8 speed gear box is lovely (had this on the X5 too). The ride is very smooth. My partner would also complain that the X5 was dreadful but this feels so smooth and sturdy. Unlike some cars (Mercedes and Audi) there are not hundreds of buttons which do the same thing. It is simple to use and does what it says on the tin. I have to say the only down side would be that it is still a little more expensive but it depends on what you are after. I would hate a 5 or 3 series, this is cool, individual and a little quirky!

Emma Watkin, Hampshire, January 5th 2012

d M Sport 5dr

Had the 123D M Sport for a couple of months now. I was looking for something, fun, quick and good on fuel. Not an easy combination, but think I found it! I originally wanted a Golf, but to find something with similar performance and spec was looking at about Β£1500 more for the equaivalent car so then started looking at the 1 series. Glad I did. So Have so far averaged around 44-49mpg, which I think is great for a car with 204BHP and a 0-60 of 7 seconds! my 2 kids are fine sat in the back, but it is a little cramped for adults. The car is fantastic to drive though, a real drivers car, the M Sport is not the most comforatable (you may want the SE for a bit less rattle over bumps, but I dont mind it. You need to be a bit careful in the wet with this much torque going through the back wheels, but apart from that, it's a real feel-good car. Looks-wise it's a bit of a marmite car. I preferred the look of the Coupe but went for the hatchback because (a) The extra seatbelt in the back and (b) The spec that was available (used) on the BMW website. Mine comes with bluetooth and it works really well and would recommend this option. I would recommend this car because I am not sure of any other car in this class that would offer so much fun and be so frugal?

John Holland, Essex, November 16th 2011

d Sport 5dr

I have owned my 1 series BMW for just over 2 years and done 30,000+ miles - It is beautifully put together with quality materials,no rattles and totally reliable. It has a very smooth gear change and fantastic miles per gallon at over over 60 mpg on a run. It's very quiet and even though the smallest diesel engine, has more than enough power. Running costs for fuel and tax are very low. The only down side is the poor performance in snow being rear wheel driven.

Keith Bowran, North Yorkshire, August 31st 2011