BMW 6 Series Coupe (03 - 11) Owner reviews

I took delivery of my 640d M Sport in early June and have driven almost 14,000 miles since then. The drive experience is superb, the cockpit is refined leaving one feeling relaxed and fresh after a 100 mile commute in all weather conditions. The Sports seats are extremely comfortable, easy to adjust and for me at 1.90m tall quick to set up. The only niggle I have in this area is that my normal driving position is quite low down and in the tight confines of a car park the long bonnet makes it hard to sense where the curb is. I should have opted for the front cameras. The radar controlled cruise control is brilliant particularly as I also have the head up display which keeps my eyes focused ahead rather than on the cars instruments. For a car of this size and performance to be able to average 40 mpg without even trying is a god send. Luggage space is excellent, ample for a long holiday or a trip with all my sports gear. The overall kit list is impressive but be warned it is so comprehensive that it takes a while to work out what everything does and when to use it. The idrive system is so easy to use and the Google Maps interface to BMW connect is really superb for setting up the Sat Nav. A couple of clicks when you get in the car and you are off. The USB interface with your iPhone is impressive as well only slightly marred by Apples health and safety inhibition of the full office functionality.

David Mc Gregor, Bucks, November 18th 2014

d M Sport 2dr Auto

i have only just taken delivery od the 640dGT (four door) and having driven different audi's for the last 12 years i have been very impressed with the quality of build and finish. the technology and systems does take some time to get your head round as it is very comprehensive. the car is an effortless tourer and a pleasure to drive. Pricey but good discounts available currently (circa 14k)

david harris, September 17th 2013

d M Sport 2dr Auto

just taken delivery of a new 640d M sport only covered 280 miles so far but what a fantastic car!the cabin feels luxurious and the layout superb, being of average hight and build I cannot criticise anything with regards to the driving position with the seats which are very comfortable.the engine and road noise is muted even though I opted for the 20inch alloys. The USB socket in the centre console is a god send and displays all my information and music from my I phone the whole set up procedure and pairing was effortless. If the car preforms over the coming years as it has over the last week I will be a very,very happy owner.

David Thomson, South Yorkshire, May 1st 2012

d M Sport 2dr Auto

The new 6 series is nearly brilliant, but taller drivers will find that in SE trim it's let down by its seats and seating position. I'm 6'4" and the standard seats are too short to offer adequate thigh support, and there are serious compromises in position if you're tall. The problem is that the seat appears to be adjustable on a diagonal. If you move it back it goes down. If you raise it up it comes forward. It's impossible to have it far enough back for adequate leg room without seriously compromising visibilty. It took nearly a month of experimenting to find a partly acceptable compromise, but even then (and even with the optional lumbar adjustment) there's more than a hint of back ache about the whole thing. And, on top of that, the seat belt is attached to the seat rather than the door pillar, and not height adjustable so if you're tall you're done for again. It's very tight across your shoulder and rubs horribly as you drive. A padded jacket helps, but that's not much use in warmer weather. Sports seats in the M Sport version, or the optional comfort seats may improve things slightly but they're both considerably expensive, and really the standard seats should be far, far better given the price of the car. Even with those, though, the seatbelt may still be a problem. It's a real shame because in all other respects it's quite magnificent, and looks sensational in mineral white metallic. Alas I doubt I'd have another.

David Bradwell, Hertfordshire, April 12th 2012

d SE 2dr Auto

Had the 635D sport for a week now new from the dealer, was going for the 650i but there is no getting away from the best diesel engine ever made. With the new sport setting in manual mode the torque of the 35d comes into play leaving all but the M6 behind 40-80mph and M6 gets a run for its money. (the engine is the only diesel that even Clarkson likes) The new exhaust set up gives a definite bark when the throttle is worked hard and a noise to shame most petrol engines. Went for the full length glass sunroof kids are very appreciative as with all 2+2 the rear seats is a dreary place, the extra light makes a big difference. Running Costs, what running costs 40mpg combined (with a very light foot lol) 35 more likely and Β£170 a year tax As a final note I have had both the 997 carrera 2s great Car - keeps its money(yawn). Only so many funny hand signals even the thickest skinned of us can handle. Audi R8 great but a 2 seater so not comparable here (plus the new oil burner audi is better). But I guess most wouldn't take advice on a purchase of this size based upon the view of a guy call Maurice who's M8 has one (hope the XR3 is going well for you)lol

Damon Williams, March 25th 2008

d Sport 2dr Auto

I bought a second hand 55 Plate M6, after having an M3 I thought it would be similar, I was wrong this car is a supercar! Dont expect higher than 13 MPG as you will not drive it sensibly as the M button calls out to be pushed on every drive. I work within a mile of my home and some nights I take the long way home of almost 10 miles. If you want fun this is the car and as a second hand buy it makes sense, as I bought mine for 48K at just over a year old, put in persepective my vehicle has every option and was new 93K Glad I did not take the hit. Not as many options to tick as the M5 and not as practical even though a family of four could just get away with it as a second car as we do. But you will be noticed and you will be hard pressed to find anything on the road to keep up with you. Happy Motoring

Troy Baker, Denbighshire, October 29th 2007

2dr SMG

I've had my 'Marmite' car for a year & love it. It's Marmite because you either love it or hate it. It's in Mineral Silver with Black Leather & very high spec. The wheels are 20" AC Schnitzers on very low profile tyres & it rides well. I have not had one bad comment about the car. People come to me at filling stations to compliment me on the car. Driving at a steady 70 with no hard acceleration 33mpg is achievable but 25 mpg is the norm. I went to test an XK 4.2 but the battery was flat & the dealer said it was Sunday so no mechanics in so that was that! They didn't call me back either. BMW's 'Service Inclusive' is worth having especially if you by used like me. The car has 2 usuable rear seats (unlike the Jag) & boy does it go. Fantastic!

philip Taylor, Cheshire, April 5th 2007

Ci 2dr

I owned a 645 coupe, the drive was as you would expect from a BMW. However the reliability was dreadful. I complained to the dealership as they had the car for 2 weeks out of the 1st month. The electrics were the issue i Drive either didnt work at all or was faulty. Sat nav stopped,DVD would not eject, CD would not turn off at all,radio stations changed at random, seat, mfsw, and audio memory just pleased itself, i drive wheel did not function, sat nav voice could not be turned off( this is just a few examples). The windows would let themselves down after parking, the boot release broke, the the hydraulic system broke, which meant the boot just crashed closed. BMW Uk did not want to know and took no action whatsoever, saying that is what a warranty is for, try arbitration or a solicitor. The dealership after 5 months agreed to a meeting and admitted the multi point chech was not up to standard. BEWARE the i drive does not form part of this check and the 1st owners memory had NOT been erased. The dealer then had the car for 2 days to fix it. I took delivery the faults were still there. I then rejected the car. The dealer then had the car for a further 3 weeks and traded me down top another vehicle( I lost a packet) and sold the 645 on the forcourt for 7 k more than I was offerred. in the end the dealer did give a token gesture which made it more palatable however BMW UK - ! My opinion, leave it alone untill the service in a case like this is sorted out.

Neil Espin, June 4th 2006

Ci 2dr

Great car, very refined compared to my previous 330Ci Sport Conv. Has the key options of Sat Nav Pro, Bluetooth, different 18 inch alloys (19s will get scuffed), autobox, ipod connection. Although folding mirrors should be standard on a wide car like this, but at least leather is standard. Colour is Mineral Silver which receives lots of compliments, but biege leather can easily get marked / dirty (constantly wiping kids shoeprints from chair backs). Huge boot. PDC indication is best I have seen (Merc CLS poor here) Amazingly lighter than my previous 3 series due to lighter panels and engine, and with more power the 3 litre units shifts even in non-sport mode. This is the best option as it will not guzzle as much as bigger engines and will not depreciate as quick. A great drive, quiet, and deceptive (watch the needle to preserve license on motorway). Can be a little twitchy in wet or uneven roads may be due to run flat tyres, but generally good handling except icy/snow conditions (lost backend too easily). This version of I-drive is good, although having more info within dials like Merc CLS would be better; it has rebooted on 3 occasions which dealer could not give an answer to. Had this for over 6 months no issues. In summary a great tourer, with impressive presence and pretty practical as well. But don't buy one as I don't want to see too many on the road!

Harp Mann, Hertfordshire, April 21st 2006

i 2dr

I've had this car for about six months now, and it is better in almost every area than my last car, a Jaguar XK8. As a big bloke – 6ft 2in tall, 16-and-a-half stone – I find the car has enough leg room for an adult to sit behind me in some comfort and wide enough for me to be able to not have to constantly breathe in – an experience I definitely didn't enjoy in a 911. It is quick – it feels as fast as the XK, and handles better. I can't fault the ride, too, especially on a long-distance motorway run. You don't notice the automatic gearbox, which is as it should be, I guess, and economy-wise I spend about Β£35 a week on petrol, driving roughly 10,000 miles a year. I even like idrive, which is, as far as I'm concerned, quite user friendly and, ergonomically, pretty much perfectly sited. Interestingly, first-time passengers often comment on how quiet and refined the car seems. As for its head-turning ability, I get at least one positive comment a week. My only real dislike is its interior, which has more plastic than your average Lego set and is thus nowhere near as classy as the XK. I didn't like having to buy floor mats, either. All in all, though, it's a very good car indeed.

Michael Eboda, December 27th 2005

i 2dr

I've owned this bmw since monday 4th december and its probably the best ive had since 1999 when i had a brand new Mercedes E55 AMG. The beamer is as quick as any performance car out there. I opted for the heated steering wheel option and it has every extra you can get and I probably will have a M6 or a M5 NEXT.

michael robertson, worcestershire, December 9th 2005

i 2dr

Typical BMW quality of materials and driving experience. Ample room in the rear seats for adults for journeys of less than 30mins. However, the doors do not open wide enough for me and I am of average size and proportions. Seem to be thirsty on petrol consumption, too.

I Goldsmith, September 27th 2005

i 2dr

The 630i coupe although really a 2+2 is great to drive, well built like most BMWs. I opted for the 19" wheels which surprisingly do not increase the road noise considerably. The automatic box is very smooth and provides not significant value when used in Steptronic mode. Great on both long motorway runs and for fun in the lanes, options are costly but residuals likely to be hurt without Navigation, and decent alloys etc. I drive marginaly better with the return function but not as difficult as everyone makes out. Overall performs well, economy pretty good for a 3.0 litre heavy car and catches the eye, great thing is that there are not many on the road so reasonably exclusive in the UK. Better than a 530 if you do not need four doors.

Colin Clare, Herts, September 7th 2005

i 2dr

This is fun to drive and deceptively fast, but at the same time relaxing on a long journey. The driving experience lacks drama (compared with an old-shape M5, which has similar overall performance), so sports-car enthusiasts may be disappointed. However, as a classic grand tourer, it is very hard to beat. You either love or hate the looks, which are colour sensitive. Purely subjectively, it looks fantastic in black with chrome trim, and the burgundy interior gives a good contrast inside (but is a bit more durable than the cream beige). The 630Ci is the one to go for on handling, as the heavier 645Ci is prone to understeer (the front loses grip at the same point as my old 528i). However, the big V8 sounds utterly fantastic, and is seriously quick. Try both and decide (as they're only Β£5000 apart on price new). Interior controls are needlessly complex, with some pointless innovations that are more of a nuisance than a help. My only real criticism is the first-year depreciation, which is truly ugly. However, a late used 645Ci will save you Β£10-Β£15K, and (in my view) is a bargain!

Graham Walkden, May 27th 2005

Ci 2dr

Great car, looks good in black. Sat-nav and Bluetooth are good. There's no cup holder - you need to get this fitted in the manufacturing stage. I have concerns about the experience of BMW mechanics on this car.

Paul Camburn, May 26th 2005

i 2dr

iDrive does not work consistently. Navigation gives wrong information sometimes. The fuel consumption nowhere near as good as advertised. It's very expensive with poor fittings and paintwork.

ray dinkin, December 5th 2004