BMW 7 SERIES Saloon Owner reviews

i 4dr Auto

I have had my 1998 728i for just over 3 months now and it has been superb. Purchased for under a grand with only 113,000 miles on it, which just shows how much of a bargain these cars are now. The 2.8 engine is perfect for this car, plenty quick enough and not too nose heavy to spoil the handling, this car is quick, comfortable and fairly frugal. The 5speed auto is also great, these need careful looking after but as long as it shifts smoothly then they are superb to drive. Parts are as cheap as any other BMW (i.e. not too bad if you avoid the main dealer) and there are plenty of spares around. I have serviced this myself and the consumables and spare parts were no more expensive than any other car. These cars are always fully loaded, so leather, cruise, climate, computer, etc. and when they are looked after then they are faultless. In all honestly, I couldn't justify spending Β£3k on a boring Eurobox when for under a grand you can drive something like this, the insurance isn't too bad and the car returns just under 30mpg. I expect over a 3yr period this will be as cheap to run as anything I have owned previously. If looked after these cars are very reliable, but they eat front suspension components so have these checked if your car has a slight wobble at speed. Suspension arms are cheap though. Most BMW engines have a tendency to leak coolant and overheat over time, easy to fix and not expensive if you catch it early. A grand for a car like this? A no-br

Paul Stratton, Essex, August 20th 2012

i 4dr Auto

Have Had The 740i For 2 Weeks, And Its Fantastic, The Equipment, The Ride, The Drive, All TOP CLASS. With Such Big Car You Expect The Big Running Costs. Great Little Attention To Detail. Most Of All Feels Very Safe!!

Chhagan Patel, West Midlands, January 24th 2009

d Sport 4dr Auto

KNOW THIS if considering an E65 (2002-2008) 7 Series. Early SE models 735i's/745i's came standard with "Dynamic Drive" BMW's automatically adjusting anti roll bars. This makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE to the handling and therefore fun of the model. This was dropped as standard equipment by BMW on facelift (2005 on) SE models. Instead it became an option called "Adaptive Ride Package" at Β£2270 extra!!! HOWEVER all "SPORT" models have it as standard, so no need to worry there. I have driven SE's with and without this and without it the car really does have that horrible big car heavy boaty rolly polly feel. Not Good. BMW should have kept it as standard on all to keep them all an enjoyable drive. Sport is slightly choppy with firm shocks but overall a good bet. My old 745iSE was more comfortable and handles equally as well. I have a 2006 730d Sport which has delighted me performance wise, torque is like a big V8. Just doesn't sound as good!!!

Scott Mackenzie, January 23rd 2009

i 4dr Auto

Hello, Having driven a 1998 R.reg BMW 728i now for the last 2 years i can honestly say what Superb cars these are , Normal sevicing and tyres is all it as needed in covering a pleasant 23,000 miles , MPG not bad mid 20's for a car for this size and sheer luxury ..Still looks excellent and a brilliant build quality .. go on treat yourself and find a good one , you can pick them up now for a couple of grand with 100,000 miles on them which is nothing for one of these .. thanks for looking ...

mark wholehouse, lancs, January 12th 2009

d Sport 4dr Auto

Have had this car around 6 months has now only covered 6000 miles, great to drive lots of pull and power and space. Alloys too easy to damage against kerbs, Idrive no problem very easy to use, dont know what the problem is here. On long runs economical. Very pleased with my purchase, a lot of car for the money.

Nick Weaver, Staffordshire, December 31st 2008

i V8 Sport 4dr Auto

I have owned a 2000(W) 735i sport for over two years now. Major problem in 2007 was to get a reconditioned gearbox which cost Β£1500. This was replaced at 120,000 miles, par for the course I suppose. My local BMW dealer wanted Β£4500 to replace the gearbox - I didn't take their kind offer up! It has an excellent service record and all the electrics work. Sat Nav, TV etc. My only niggle at the moment is the coolant system, it is prone to losing fluid. I can only put this down to the air con system, which works fine. Niggles over, to drive one of these is truly great. The balance when driving is just perfect, and when put in sport mode, there are not many cars to beat it! I just love the steptronic gearbox when I want to use manual mode. I have driven the latest series 7, but quite frankly it is like driving a sponge cake compared to this version. When this e38 finally gives us, I will have to have another look at the latest offering. Until then I will carry on with this one.

Peter Hooper, September 29th 2008

Li 4dr Auto

i have tested this car in Germany,i like it for its modern technology and high performace,but the problems are:1-the design should be more attractive...2-inside the cabin during driving you can hear wind nose obviously and the previous 7series in its isolation was better...3-it"s so expensive and you will lose your money when you will sell it...however, i still thinking that mercede-benz (S) class is the best in its class..

Kinan Sleiman, Tartous, September 26th 2008

d SE 4dr Auto

This is my second 730d and i am afraid it is not as good as my first. It is a much noisier engine and have been in and out of the garage at least 6 times to have it checked out since September. Dissapointingly BMW refuse to admit to it so i am looking for an idependent view to prove them wrong! Not good for city driving, otherwise i HAD been happy with BMW but i have to give them a BIG thumbs down on this until they admit to it!!!

Harry Kenth, March 22nd 2008

i V8 4dr Auto

Bought my 740 5 months ago and it has been nothing but problems since I bought it. It is 12 years old and I thought luxury driving for Β£5,000, how wrong I was. Within 40 miles the front spring had snapped, this was fixed and then a loud squeaking noise was coming from the front wheels, again this got fixed. After this the gearbox started throwing up an error, after spending Β£300 trying to get this diagnosed and fixed I am now left with a bill exceeding Β£2000 to get the gearbox reconditioned. I do love the car when it is running and is a pleasure to drive. It is easy to find the right driving position with the adjustable seats and steering wheel and is fully loaded with all the toys imaginable. Unless you have deep pockets I would avoid this marque unless you are going for a newer model with 70,000 miles max on the clock. Check out the service history as it matters alot on a car this size, make sure it is a specialist or a BMW history as I have found out to my cost!!!!

Christopher Nicoll, Fife, March 12th 2008

i V8 4dr Auto

I have owned two 740s over the last four years. Firstly I must say that they are great cars, and fantastic value for money now that petrol prices have risen. The 740i is much quicker than you might expect given its size and weight, and the mechanicals are generally rock solid. These cars are, however, vulnerable to cooling system problems. Both of mine needed new hoses and expansion tanks after developing leaks. My current car has also had the coolant rails replaced at the bottom of the "vee" at a cost of Β£600 to solve a slow and persistent coolant loss. I have also had the valve head gaskets changed (Β£300) as these were starting to leak oil after just 90k miles, so be warned! You can check for this by removing the plastic engine covers and having a look for sludge around the cylinder head. It costs Β£85 to fill the tank nowadays but given that you can now buy one of these cars for less than Β£4k in good condition, insure it as a classic if it's over 10 years old, and still pay only Β£180 road tax, the every day costs do make a certain amount of sense. These are fast, solid, comfortable and safe cars, which in the right colour and with the optional M sport wheels, still look really smart. Buy wisely and you won't regret it! Richard

Richard Hickman, February 29th 2008

d Sport 4dr Auto

I have had this car since October 07. I have leased direct from BMW and have so far covered 14k miles. I just love this car black with black windows and 20" wheels. 29 to the gallon and the most comfortable car I have ever owned. I dont know what all the fuss is about with the iDrive I sat in the car for an hour with the manual on the first weekend and I find it very user friendly. On the motor way other cars get out of your way. Only negatives a bit of lag when pushing down at 70 and for Β£60k on a car like this you would expect the leather to be heated as standard.

Niall Smith, Staffs, February 11th 2008

i 4dr Auto

I have a 728i and a 735i Sport and am looking to make the collection a threesome with a 740i.. I can not really fault either of the ones I already have, the 728i had a thermostat blow and the bushes on the front suspension around the 82k miles mark. The 735i has had nothing but servicing and is now on 135k miles. Fuel Eco is fine on both, the 728i is showing advarage at 23.4mpg and the 735i is showing 21.2MPG advarage, and I do most of my driving in town, in London! As a member of the BMW Owners Club for the 7-series I can honestly say they do not really get much wrong with them, and even when they do its not that expensive to fix.. BE wary of the 3982cc 740i's though, Nikasil problem in the engine, you could end up needing a new engine! If looking for the 740i go for the 4398cc version. Definately a huge luxury car that you can run for the same cost as a Mondeo, and get so much more for your money!

Stuart Ambrose, January 13th 2008

i 4dr Auto

I had my 728 for three excellent trouble free years. i travel a few good miles every year so can certainly tell it how it is, or how it was with mine! The mileage covered was around 90,000 in that time i can safely say that apart from brakes,tyres, and servicing,and a minor problem with a power steering belt it was as good as gold. Electrics worked fine, gearbox was smooth as you would want,the drivers seat setting was brilliant,especially if you suffer with back problems. The engine was bomb proof. Can not fault it, even when i hired when it was in for servicing and i drove the new vauxhalls,ford and so-ons you realise what a great car this is, 33 plus to the gallon on a run is nice too. The only problem now! I was hit on the motorway, rear ended, mines a write off, but you should of seen the state of her car! Currently searching for another one.

jamie goddard, berkshire, January 2nd 2008

i 4dr Auto

Mine was a 1996 728 with 72, 000miles, FSH. Great car to drive very comfortable, even quite economical, but had numerous leaks, water and oil. The body work soon started to go rusty, not in the normal places but things like boot lid, door sills(inside). Then there were the electrical problems, not major but anoying little ones. Had the car about 9 months. Would consider another one but i dont like the look of the new ones.

Steven Norman, November 16th 2007

i 4dr Auto

Oh I wish! I'd love to give this car loads of praise, but it suffers from the modern-day curse, an uncomfortable ride! I love its beautiful shape, massive interior with good headroom, and fantastic seats - they are the best and most supportive, with hard wearing leather. 500 miles feels like 50 miles. The interior trim is fantastic - well screwed together and has a nice appearance and feel. The car has a massive boot and great paintwork - four years of bare stonechips didn't rust. It's also so solid - I got hit from the rear by a mid-sized uninsured Toyota at 70mph on the M1 - it dissintegrated, while mine only had minor scratches. Even the rear bumper didn't protrude into the wheel arches. The Tiptronic gearbox (very strange) is the best of any make, but in auto mode - yuk! If you freewheel downhill at 60mph, then touch the brake, the car would unnervingly lurch you forward towards the screen because the car is designed to change down on downhill braking. Also, if you were driving up hill in auto you couldn't get it to change up. The auto is so bad I ended up driving in permanent Tiptronic. Also, the shock absorbers are so hard the car would bang and bump and tip you from side to side as the car's profile hugged every lateral undulation. I spent about Β£1500 with a suspension specialist just to make the car driveable for me. Again, it's a luxury car with a very unluxury ride - horrible. But, shock absorbers aside, I really could have loved this car!

phil kean, hants, November 12th 2007

i V8 4dr Auto

Some years ago I bought a four year old 730 (not given option of 730 in list)privately with 65K on clock. Absolutely loved driving it - by far the most comfortable way to travel I have ever experienced - cosseting ride and very quiet, loads of room and wonderful seats, quick when you wanted and for a big car it could handle as well. However it was a reliability disaster area - I think I spent more money fixing it than buying it - in particular an electrical nightmare. I ran it to 115K which a big "prestige" motor should manage without difficulty, but one week after getting car back from garage after nearly cooking engine the front suspension broke - never was I more relieved to see the back of a car - except for my next BMW which I ran to only 72K before it started falling apart. Jap scrap from now on I'm afraid.

John Moir, October 30th 2007

d SE 4dr Auto

I have had two of these cars the 745i and the 730D both new shape but the diesel has the face lift. Both cars wer great to drive, some people dont like the looks but I think there great for a car this size. Both vehicles are and were reliable. Great second hand buy dont do new unless on lease as the pocket will take a battering. Always haggle especially if you have a smaller BMW up for part ex, as they will want the deal more than you believe it or not. Happy motoring

Troy Baker, Denbighshire, October 29th 2007

i 4dr Auto

i currently own a 728ise on a 99 t plate(facelift version).this is my 9th 7 series,mainly having owned pre facelift E38 740 models and also a few of the previous E32 730 models.i bought the car when it had done 194k,and now it has done almost 225k.its originally only with 1 owner till i bought it 2 years ago and had and still is well looked after.this car maybe a base 7 series but it has the equipment levels of a top of the range 750 model,including sat/nav,tv,electric blinds,heated seats,automatic opening and closing boot,the list goes on and on.it has been very reliable and very comfortable as i do lots of long journeys and yes sometimes i do feel its under powered but i knew it would be when i bought it but the plus side is its very fuel efficient,much better than its v8 equivelents(ofcourse).totally love this car to bits and wouldnt part from it ever.i have thought about getting the newer generation 7 series and although its a very nice car and very luxurious,i just feel its lost its soul and can never compete with ancestors.i would certainly keep my 7 and would love to own the last of the E38 750il too,and im currently looking for one as i think nothing can compete with the last of the true bmw 7 series range.

sayeed irshad, midlothian, September 24th 2007

d Sport 4dr Auto

Bought at three years old, with 20,000 miles. Now (a year later) 28,000 miles done. It is very comfortable (6'4" driver - and loads of legroom behind me). It's a wonderfully smooth and quiet car that holds the road beautifully. There's a bit of delay on 'kick down'. Its width takes a bit of getting used to, and it is a bit of a 'boat' to manouvere (due to restricted visibility.Watch alloys against the kerb). Drive no problem for day to day functions. So far I've replaced: computer, battery, four alloy wheels (all under warranty) and two tyres (pushing Β£200 each). Computer mpg 27.6, but I calculated mpg nearer 24 to 25 (suburban use).

Freddy Stone, Dorset, July 20th 2007

d 4dr Auto

Sorry, my car is not listed above, so I had to choose the 730. I had driven two BMWs before, a 520 and 728. It's a lovely car to drive but I am not sure about the quality of the engine. You can not believe that I had to change the head gasket twice in the 520 and once with the 728. I think the problem with BMW is that the cars are very sensitive to overheating. A few mechanics have confirmed that the head gasket is really problematic. I'm not sure if the new models still have the same problem. I do not think I will buy BMW again.

Boulos Tadros, essex, May 25th 2007