F - Filler

05 June 2006

Filler - This useful substance is used to 'fill' the gaps in a car's structure where metal has corroded, or after accident damage. If, on close inspection, a car's body panels appear wavy and uneven, the chances are filler has been used.

Tap the panel with your knuckles. If you hear a dull thud rather than a metallic ring then the panel's full of filler. If it's just a small area this shouldn't necessarily put you off buying the car, but if it's extensive, walk away.


Want to know the difference between your APRs and your PCPs? Our Glossary will guide you through the minefield of car-buying terms.

Haymarket Logo What Car? is brought to you by Haymarket Consumer Media
What Car? is part of Haymarket Motoring
© Haymarket Media Group 2016