The Department for Transport is warning drivers to take extra care in snowy conditions.
Snow and sleet are forecast to fall throughout Britain over the next week, so the DfT has issued the following advice:
• If you must drive, make sure you are prepared for the weather conditions;
• Check local and national weather forecasts. Listen to travel information on radio;
• Take care around gritters and snowploughs. Don't be tempted to overtake snowploughs by squeezing into partially cleared lanes;
• It can take 10 times longer to stop in icy conditions. Allow extra room to slow down and stop;
• Use the highest gear possible to avoid wheelspin. Manoeuvre gently, and avoid harsh braking and acceleration;
• If you start to skid, gently ease off the accelerator and apply the brake gently, not suddenly;
• When driving in snow, make sure you're equipped with warm clothes, food, water, boots, de-icer, a torch and spade.
In addition, you can download a whatcar.com checklist on winter driving by clicking here
Our reviews are based on hard data and thorough testing in the real world.
Up to the minute news from around the globe