Chevrolet Spark EV revealed
Chevrolet has said the Spark EV will go on sale in the US for less than $25,000 (around £15,000) including local tax incentives. No decision has been made on whether it will be sold in the UK.
The Spark EV is powered by an electric motor and battery system that delivers 128bhp and 400lb ft of torque. That's almost twice as much torque as a Nissan Leaf, so performance should be strong. Chevrolet says the Spark EV will have a 0-60mph time of less than eight seconds.
Chevrolet hasn't quoted a maximum range, but has said the Spark EV will have an optional fast-charge capability, with 80% of capacity achieved in just 20 minutes. A full charge takes less than seven hours from a standard domestic socket. The battery comes with an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty.
Read more 2012 LA Auto Show news
The Spark EV also includes voice-activated technology operated through Chevrolet's MyLink infotainment system. This allows drivers with a compatible iPhone – running iOS 6 – to use the phone's Siri technology to perform a number of tasks without the need to take their hands off the steering wheel, or eyes from the road.
The system's Eyes Free mode allows US drivers to:
• Make voice-activated, hands-free calls to contacts
• Play songs in the iTunes library, and automatically switch sources from AM/FM/XM radio to iPod mode
• Listen to text messages, and compose a message to any number in the phone's contacts
• Access the phone's calendar and add appointments
• Get the answer to simple questions such as game scores or the dates of national holidays
By Pete Barden