Child car seats advice - Child car seats – the basics
• it is illegal for a child under 12 or less than 135cm tall to travel in a car without the correct type of child seat for their weight
• it is illegal to put a rear-facing child or baby seat in the front passenger seat without first deactivating the airbag
• not all car seats fit all cars – try the child or booster seat in your car before you buy
• make sure your car seat is fitted exactly as the manufacture instructs
• be extremely cautious about using a secondhand child seat – previous damage may not be visible but could compromise the seat's effectiveness
• before every journey, check your child seat is still secure and that the harness or belt fits properly
• replace every child seat after an accident, no matter how minor.
Thanks to TRL (Transport Research Laboratory) and RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) for their assistance with this content.
Featured in this story