British Motor Show - Ford - sexy new Focus RS and more
Ford's Focus RS will be front-wheel drive and powered by a turbocharged 296bhp 2.5-litre engine with 302lb ft of pulling power.
Exact performance figures haven't been released, but Ford says it will blast from 0-62mph in under six seconds.
The car is also wider than a standard Focus, and has stiffer springs and shock absorbers to improve stability and handling.
The steering is sharper, too, and the traction control system has been refined to allow more spirited driving. The brakes have been uprated as well.
Styling changes from the standard Focus include new front and rear panels to incorporate wider wheelarches, and air vents behind the front wheels and in the bonnet.
The front and rear bumpers are also different, while twin chrome exhausts and a rear wing emphasise the car's sporting intentions.
Inside, the RS has sports seats that are colour-matched to the car's exterior paint. The centre console is finished in carbon-look trim, while the air vents, door handles, switchgear and gearshift surround get a metallic finish.
Some final words of caution: the model on display at the show isn't ready for production, and there are expected to be some final tweaks made before the design is finalised. However, as long as public reaction is positive, that green paintwork will be available as an option.
No details on the Focus RS's pricing will be announced until next year, but it is expected to cost around £25,000 when it goes on sale in the late spring.
Featured in this story
- AC Schnitzer
- Alfa Romeo MiTo
- Bentley: 600bhp and 200mph
- Cadillac's CTS Concept Coupe
- Chevrolet: drumming a Beat to the Camaro
- Citroen's oddball C-Cactus
- Electric pavilion - cars you can charge
- Electric taxi
- Ford's smart new Fiesta makes debut
- Ford - sexy new Focus RS and more
- Greener Driving Pavilion
- Honda's eco push and action arena
- Hummer's 'small' car
- Hyundai: Coupes and ice-creams
- IFR Aspid - rally-bred two-seater
- Isuzu's new pick-ups
- Jaguar - 60 years of the XK
- Kamala K360R- road or track?
- Kia's Soul bared to all
- Land Rover: special Range Rover and LRX
- Lexus LF-A supercar
- Lightning Car Company
- Mastretta MXT
- Lotus Evora
- Mazda: plenty of Zoom Zoom
- Mercedes' green drive and SLR
- Mini thinks big
- Morgan: a Car for Life
- NICE: five seats, zero emissions, £14k
- Nissan Qashqai +2
- Nissan: new GT-R, Denki Cube and more
- PGO Automobiles
- Peugeot's 308 RC Z - an Audi TT rival
- Renault's hot Megane and other concepts
- Saab's X concepts
- Seat SportCoupe
- Spyker C8 Aileron
- SsangYong's art attack
- Subaru: ultra-fast Imprezas
- Suzuki's Kizashi crash goal
- Tesla: making electric cars sexy
- Think electric...
- Toyota - cute and crazy
- Ultimate Collection - supercar display
- Vauxhall Insignia