British Motor Show - Greener Driving Pavilion
Greener driving has taken on so much momentum that there's an entire pavilion dedicated to it at the motor show.
Inside are a host of interactive displays, vehicle cutaways and simulators that make the all-too serious concerns of saving fuel, money and the planet engaging and interesting.
Beware if you are prone to 'tennis neck' though, because Michelin's low-rolling-resistance tyre simulator is seriously addictive viewing. On a display shaped like a skateboard ramp, two cars are set off, rolling from left to right and powered only by momentum. Gradually it becomes clear that the car fitted with normal tyres is coming to a halt long before the Michelin-shod one.
A range of exciting new environmental automotive technologies are also highlighted, including fuel cell, electric and hybrid vehicles, ensuring that visitors get an entertaining science lesson, too. Cars on show include a Smart EV, Mini cooper D, Nissan’s fuel cell demo car and Honda’s Civic hybrid.
Drivers are also being offered simple tips on ways they can use less fuel in everyday driving, including the chance to sign up to liftshare.com, which puts commuters on the same route in touch with each other, for free.
• What Car? will have a big green presence at the show, too - you can see the winner of our first-ever Green Awards in the Greener Driving Pavilion.
Come to our stand, too, where you can use six computers to find out all you need to know about green cars on www.whatcar.com, or buy our special Green Awards supplement.
- AC Schnitzer
- Alfa Romeo MiTo
- Bentley: 600bhp and 200mph
- Cadillac's CTS Concept Coupe
- Chevrolet: drumming a Beat to the Camaro
- Citroen's oddball C-Cactus
- Electric pavilion - cars you can charge
- Electric taxi
- Ford's smart new Fiesta makes debut
- Ford - sexy new Focus RS and more
- Greener Driving Pavilion
- Honda's eco push and action arena
- Hummer's 'small' car
- Hyundai: Coupes and ice-creams
- IFR Aspid - rally-bred two-seater
- Isuzu's new pick-ups
- Jaguar - 60 years of the XK
- Kamala K360R- road or track?
- Kia's Soul bared to all
- Land Rover: special Range Rover and LRX
- Lexus LF-A supercar
- Lightning Car Company
- Mastretta MXT
- Lotus Evora
- Mazda: plenty of Zoom Zoom
- Mercedes' green drive and SLR
- Mini thinks big
- Morgan: a Car for Life
- NICE: five seats, zero emissions, £14k
- Nissan Qashqai +2
- Nissan: new GT-R, Denki Cube and more
- PGO Automobiles
- Peugeot's 308 RC Z - an Audi TT rival
- Renault's hot Megane and other concepts
- Saab's X concepts
- Seat SportCoupe
- Spyker C8 Aileron
- SsangYong's art attack
- Subaru: ultra-fast Imprezas
- Suzuki's Kizashi crash goal
- Tesla: making electric cars sexy
- Think electric...
- Toyota - cute and crazy
- Ultimate Collection - supercar display
- Vauxhall Insignia