British Motor Show - Mercedes' green drive and SLR
At the other extreme, the manufacturer has three Smart Eds dotted around the halls.
The zero-emission electric vehicles aren't on sale yet, but are currently on test with leasing customers around the UK as part of a series of trials.
Powered solely by electricity, and chargeable from any three-pin socket, the Smart Ed can achieve the equivalent of 300mpg - that amounts to a saving of up to 80% in fuel costs over the Smart Fortwo.
It can travel up to 72 miles between charges, which typically take around eight hours for a full charge.
There's also a CLS 350 Blue Efficiency, which goes on sale this autumn and showcases some of the technology that's being wheeled out across the Mercedes range as it attempts to reduce emissions.
If you're more interested in cars you can buy now, there's something to suit every budget, from the A-Class through to the Maybach 67.
- AC Schnitzer
- Alfa Romeo MiTo
- Bentley: 600bhp and 200mph
- Cadillac's CTS Concept Coupe
- Chevrolet: drumming a Beat to the Camaro
- Citroen's oddball C-Cactus
- Electric pavilion - cars you can charge
- Electric taxi
- Ford's smart new Fiesta makes debut
- Ford - sexy new Focus RS and more
- Greener Driving Pavilion
- Honda's eco push and action arena
- Hummer's 'small' car
- Hyundai: Coupes and ice-creams
- IFR Aspid - rally-bred two-seater
- Isuzu's new pick-ups
- Jaguar - 60 years of the XK
- Kamala K360R- road or track?
- Kia's Soul bared to all
- Land Rover: special Range Rover and LRX
- Lexus LF-A supercar
- Lightning Car Company
- Mastretta MXT
- Lotus Evora
- Mazda: plenty of Zoom Zoom
- Mercedes' green drive and SLR
- Mini thinks big
- Morgan: a Car for Life
- NICE: five seats, zero emissions, £14k
- Nissan Qashqai +2
- Nissan: new GT-R, Denki Cube and more
- PGO Automobiles
- Peugeot's 308 RC Z - an Audi TT rival
- Renault's hot Megane and other concepts
- Saab's X concepts
- Seat SportCoupe
- Spyker C8 Aileron
- SsangYong's art attack
- Subaru: ultra-fast Imprezas
- Suzuki's Kizashi crash goal
- Tesla: making electric cars sexy
- Think electric...
- Toyota - cute and crazy
- Ultimate Collection - supercar display
- Vauxhall Insignia