British Motor Show - Renault's hot Megane and other concepts
Hot in the footsteps of the R26, the new R26.R uses the same 227bhp 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine, but it's an entirely different prospect.
It's lighter for a start, with weight cut by more than 120kg, thanks to polycarbonate windows and a carbonfibre bonnet. The rear bench has also been ripped out, leaving just a pair of bucket seats up front.
The 0-60mph time is consequently reduced from 6.5sec to 6.0sec, almost as fast as the Focus RS, while suspension and steering are both tweaked for added bite. Despite this, it manages 33.2mpg, while emissions are 199g/km of CO2.
The base car costs £22,900 but you’ll have to move fast to get one - just 230 of the 450 examples being built are coming to the UK.
If you want to use it at track days, you also get the option of a factory-fitted rollcage and racing tyres for £700.
Laguna Coupe concept car
Renault also has the Megane and Laguna coupe concepts in the UK for the first time, following appearances at the Geneva and Frankfurt motor shows.
It may seem odd that we can see the Laguna concept on show, considering pictures of the production car have already been released, but Renault wants to launch the car at the Paris show in October.
The car then goes on sale in November for around £22,000.
Megane Coupe concept car
The Megane Coupe concept car is said to be very close to the production version. It also gives us some clues as to what the next version of the hatchback will look like when it's also unveiled at the Paris show in the autumn.
More from Renault
Other newcomers on display include the sporty Twingo Renaultsport 133, which is on sale now from £11,500.
Its PS power output figure features in its name - translated to horsepower, it has 131bhp.
Final performance figures won't be confirmed until the end of August, but we expect it to reach 60mph in less than nine seconds and a top speed of more than 120mph.
CO2 emissions are confirmed at 165g/km, which suggests a combined fuel consumption figures of more than 40mpg.
The new Kangoo budget MPV arrives in showrooms at the end of this year and has even more space inside that the cavernous car it replaces. Yes, it's based on a van, but if you can get over that, you can snap up a super-practical MPV for peanuts.
Finally there's Renault's first 4x4 - the Koleos. Since it only went on sale this month, from £17,995, you may not have yet spied it on UK roads yet.
- AC Schnitzer
- Alfa Romeo MiTo
- Bentley: 600bhp and 200mph
- Cadillac's CTS Concept Coupe
- Chevrolet: drumming a Beat to the Camaro
- Citroen's oddball C-Cactus
- Electric pavilion - cars you can charge
- Electric taxi
- Ford's smart new Fiesta makes debut
- Ford - sexy new Focus RS and more
- Greener Driving Pavilion
- Honda's eco push and action arena
- Hummer's 'small' car
- Hyundai: Coupes and ice-creams
- IFR Aspid - rally-bred two-seater
- Isuzu's new pick-ups
- Jaguar - 60 years of the XK
- Kamala K360R- road or track?
- Kia's Soul bared to all
- Land Rover: special Range Rover and LRX
- Lexus LF-A supercar
- Lightning Car Company
- Mastretta MXT
- Lotus Evora
- Mazda: plenty of Zoom Zoom
- Mercedes' green drive and SLR
- Mini thinks big
- Morgan: a Car for Life
- NICE: five seats, zero emissions, £14k
- Nissan Qashqai +2
- Nissan: new GT-R, Denki Cube and more
- PGO Automobiles
- Peugeot's 308 RC Z - an Audi TT rival
- Renault's hot Megane and other concepts
- Saab's X concepts
- Seat SportCoupe
- Spyker C8 Aileron
- SsangYong's art attack
- Subaru: ultra-fast Imprezas
- Suzuki's Kizashi crash goal
- Tesla: making electric cars sexy
- Think electric...
- Toyota - cute and crazy
- Ultimate Collection - supercar display
- Vauxhall Insignia