British Motor Show - Saab's X concepts
First, there's the 9-4X concept, a compact off-roader that will enter the busy market alongside the likes of the Land Rover Freelander and Honda CR-V next year.
Secondly, at the other end of the scale, there's the 9-X concept, a car that will compete with rivals such as the Audi A3 from 2010.
Both will come with conventional petrol and diesel engines, but the concept cars are also powered by biofuel engines that use ethanol-rich fuel - a controversial subject at the moment.
Critics argue that biofuels are causing food shortages, and consequent price increases, as well as deforestation, as growers to try to cash in on fuel crops.
The Government recently announced that the development of biofuels in the UK would be slowed, following a report by Professor Ed Gallagher, chairman of the Renewable Fuels Agency.
Saab is still holding out hope for biofuels from sustainable sources, however, such as from waste wood pulp or from algae growing in the sea.
A spokesman from General Motors, Saab's owners, told us: 'We endorse the Secretary of State for Transport's views that there are good and bad biofuels out there, and we need to do all we can to encourage the good and discourage the bad.
'However, if we are serious about reducing our reliance on fossil fuels, we need to have the courage to explore all viable alternatives.
'We cannot afford to ease up on our efforts to develop biofuels sustainably, and governments have a responsibility to come up with incentives and policies that encourage this new industry to prosper.'
Besides the concepts, Saab is bringing the rather potty 280bhp 9-3 Turbo X.
- AC Schnitzer
- Alfa Romeo MiTo
- Bentley: 600bhp and 200mph
- Cadillac's CTS Concept Coupe
- Chevrolet: drumming a Beat to the Camaro
- Citroen's oddball C-Cactus
- Electric pavilion - cars you can charge
- Electric taxi
- Ford's smart new Fiesta makes debut
- Ford - sexy new Focus RS and more
- Greener Driving Pavilion
- Honda's eco push and action arena
- Hummer's 'small' car
- Hyundai: Coupes and ice-creams
- IFR Aspid - rally-bred two-seater
- Isuzu's new pick-ups
- Jaguar - 60 years of the XK
- Kamala K360R- road or track?
- Kia's Soul bared to all
- Land Rover: special Range Rover and LRX
- Lexus LF-A supercar
- Lightning Car Company
- Mastretta MXT
- Lotus Evora
- Mazda: plenty of Zoom Zoom
- Mercedes' green drive and SLR
- Mini thinks big
- Morgan: a Car for Life
- NICE: five seats, zero emissions, £14k
- Nissan Qashqai +2
- Nissan: new GT-R, Denki Cube and more
- PGO Automobiles
- Peugeot's 308 RC Z - an Audi TT rival
- Renault's hot Megane and other concepts
- Saab's X concepts
- Seat SportCoupe
- Spyker C8 Aileron
- SsangYong's art attack
- Subaru: ultra-fast Imprezas
- Suzuki's Kizashi crash goal
- Tesla: making electric cars sexy
- Think electric...
- Toyota - cute and crazy
- Ultimate Collection - supercar display
- Vauxhall Insignia