What Car Q&A: February 10, 2009 - Taxing decision

Article 3 of 6 See all
  • From accidents with deer to towing advice
  • This week's motoring-related problems
  • Ask us a question, too
Taxing decision
I'm thinking of buying a Y-reg (Aug 2001) Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI Estate, but can't find out which VED band it's in, and therefore how much it will cost me in road tax. Can you help?

Richard Guassardo

Cars registered after March 1, 2001 are taxed on how much CO2 they emit.

This particular Mercedes-Benz E-Class officially pumped out 209 grams of CO2 every kilometre, which means as of April 1 this year you'll be paying £215 for a 12-month tax disc. The duty will rise to £245 in April 2010.

It might be worth looking for a slightly older model (X-reg or earlier), as cars registered before March 1, 2001 are taxed according to engine capacity. Those with an engine larger than 1549cc will pay £190 a year from April – rising to £205 in 2010.

A pre-March 2001 E-Class would save you £65 in car tax during the first couple of years of ownership, and you'll probably pay a bit less to buy the car in the first place.

What Car Q&A: February 10, 2009 - Towing advice


Free car valuations