British Motor Show - Tesla: making electric cars sexy
At least the two cars haven't had far to come - they are made at the Lotus factory in Norfolk.
In place of the usual Toyota mechanicals in the Elise, the Tesla has a 248bhp electric motor, a two-speed gearbox with no clutch, a battery box and a power electrics module.
This controls the torque to the rear wheels and the charging, including making sure that energy created when braking is used to top up the battery.
Because the Tesla is relatively light compared with many electric or hybrid cars, and uses lithium-ion batteries employing the same technology as those in your laptop or mobile phone, it has a quoted range of 220 miles - at least four times better than most electric cars.
A full recharge takes about three-and-a-half hours.
It's quick, too - 0-60mph in less than four seconds and a top speed of 125mph. There are zero emissions - it doesn't even have a tailpipe.
All of that leaves just two snags. You won't be able to get one in Europe until next year (and there's no dealer network) - and it costs £80,000.
Expensive job, going green, isn't it?
- AC Schnitzer
- Alfa Romeo MiTo
- Bentley: 600bhp and 200mph
- Cadillac's CTS Concept Coupe
- Chevrolet: drumming a Beat to the Camaro
- Citroen's oddball C-Cactus
- Electric pavilion - cars you can charge
- Electric taxi
- Ford's smart new Fiesta makes debut
- Ford - sexy new Focus RS and more
- Greener Driving Pavilion
- Honda's eco push and action arena
- Hummer's 'small' car
- Hyundai: Coupes and ice-creams
- IFR Aspid - rally-bred two-seater
- Isuzu's new pick-ups
- Jaguar - 60 years of the XK
- Kamala K360R- road or track?
- Kia's Soul bared to all
- Land Rover: special Range Rover and LRX
- Lexus LF-A supercar
- Lightning Car Company
- Mastretta MXT
- Lotus Evora
- Mazda: plenty of Zoom Zoom
- Mercedes' green drive and SLR
- Mini thinks big
- Morgan: a Car for Life
- NICE: five seats, zero emissions, £14k
- Nissan Qashqai +2
- Nissan: new GT-R, Denki Cube and more
- PGO Automobiles
- Peugeot's 308 RC Z - an Audi TT rival
- Renault's hot Megane and other concepts
- Saab's X concepts
- Seat SportCoupe
- Spyker C8 Aileron
- SsangYong's art attack
- Subaru: ultra-fast Imprezas
- Suzuki's Kizashi crash goal
- Tesla: making electric cars sexy
- Think electric...
- Toyota - cute and crazy
- Ultimate Collection - supercar display
- Vauxhall Insignia