What Car? Reliability Survey 2012 - Top 10 most reliable city cars
The Suzuki Alto tops the list, with a fail rate of just 10%. Even more impressive is an average repair cost of just £78.
Second place goes to the Toyota Aygo - it has an even lower fail rate at just 9%, but its Reliability Index figure is pushed a little higher due to a higher average repair cost of £126.
Despite being almost identical to the Aygo, the Peugeot 107 hasn't scored as highly. It's the number 10-rated city car, but it has a Reliability Index rating of 73, compared with the Aygo's 11 rating.
There are two Ford Ka models in the top 10 - the latest model is in fifth, whereas the '96-'09 car is in eighth. As well as a better Reliability Index score and lower fail rate, the newer model also has a lower average repair cost.
The previous-generation Kia Picanto took third place, with a Reliability Index rating of just 20 and a fail rate of 9%. Kia will be hoping for a similarly good showing from the latest Picanto model.
Top 10 most reliable city cars (by Reliability Index rating)
1 Suzuki Alto ('97-'06) 8
2 Toyota Aygo ('05-) 11
3 Kia Picanto ('04-'11) 20
4 Hyundai Getz ('02-'09) 25
5 Ford Ka ('08-) 27
6 Smart Fortwo ('07-) 27
7 Daewoo Matiz ('98-'05) 56
8 Ford Ka ('96-'09) 56
9 Fiat Panda ('04-12) 69
10 Peugeot 107 ('05-) 73
Daewoo Kalos (02-'05)
Featured in this story
- Results by brand: 1st-6th
- Results by brand: 9th to 15th
- Results by brand: 18th to 24th
- Results by brand: 25th to 30th
- Results by brand: 31st to 36th
- Top 10 most reliable city cars
- Top 10 most reliable superminis
- Top 10 most reliable small family cars
- Top 10 most reliable family cars
- Top 10 most reliable executive cars
- Top 10 most reliable MPVs
- Top 10 most reliable coupes
- Top 10 most reliable convertibles
- Top 10 most reliable SUVs