What Car? says
For Elegant, fast an nimble – this big cat is sporty yet refined. It's easy to live with, too
Against Running costs aren't cheap, and the rear seats are almost useless
Verdict One of the great grand tourers, and effortlessly classy with it.
Go for… 4.2 V8
Avoid… 4.2 R
- 1. This top cat is fast and elegant enough to prowl the street of Monaco, yet it won't break the bank.
- 2. Official fuel economy ranges from 25mpg and 22.9mpg for the original models, while the 5.0-litre cars manage 25.2mpg and 23mpg. However, if you exploit the engines' power, that quickly drops off.
- 3. The aluminium body isn't particularly hard to repair, but look for botched work and anything that doesn't look like it came from the factory.
- 4. The air-con and heating system can give up the ghost, with dealers requiring replacement parts to fix the fault.
- 5. The tyres can wear quickly, and aren't cheap to replace, so check the tread depth before agreeing a price with the seller.