What Car? says
For Safe and solid: with good build quality and innovative technology to protect passengers, good cabin space and a big boot.
Against Not quite as good to drive as a BMW 3 Series, and there's some wind noise at higher speeds, but not much else.
Verdict This stylish estate has plenty of appeal, and is good to drive in either comfort-or sport-orientated models.
Go for… C220 CDI Sport
Avoid… C350 Sport
- 1. SE and Elegance models have the Mercedes star on the bonnet
- 2. the C220 CDI strikes the best balance between performance and affordability
- 3. Early cars suffered an automatic gearbox issue, with long hesitations during gearchanges
- 4. The electronic key can stop working, stranding owners. Sometimes it can stop working altogether, or operate intermittently
- 5. The estate version has a garage mode, so it doesn't open the tailgate fully when there's restricted headroom
Reader test team says:
Catastrophically bad car. Had a C250 estate for…
Took delivery of the new face lifted C220 CDI…