What Car? says
For The Toyota Auris is practical, comfortable and well built
Against The Toyota is let down by its uninspiring dynamics and design
Verdict Capable, but disappointing follow-up to the excellent Corolla
Go for… 1.6 T2 5dr
Avoid… 2.2 D-4D SR180 3dr
- 1. It drives decently enough, with good grip in corners and limited body roll, but the steering is vague and the ride fails to smooth out the poorest road surfaces.
- 2. The Auris is spacious inside for a small family car and there’s decent legroom for passengers in the rear middle seat.
- 3. Go for the five-door version rather than the three-door car. They’re easier to find, more practical and not much more expensive.
- 4. The 1.4-litre diesel is the champion of cheap motoring, with an average of 56.5mpg and emissions of 132g/km.
- 5. The Auris isn’t upholding Toyota’s reputation for reliability, with many owners describing their cars as merely average.