What Car? says
For The VW Golf is refined and comfortable, but it's still fun to drive. The cabin is classy and practical, and every car gets lots of safety kit. Resale values are strong.
Against Entry-level engines are underpowered, while the styling is too conservative for some.
Verdict This generation of Golf is desirable, refined and great to drive, and one of the best all-rounders available. You’ll pay handsomely for one, though.
Go for… 1.4 TSI (120) SE 5dr
Avoid… Avoid 1.2 TSI
- 1. No other small family car matches the VW Golf for fun and comfort
- 2. The 1.2 TSI comes with either 85bhp or 104bhp, but our favourite is the punchy 120bhp turbocharged 1.4 TSI
- 3. The cleanest engine is the 1.6 TDI Bluemotion, with an average economy of 74.3mpg
- 4. Some owners have reported misaligned doors that needed to be refitted
- 5. Some owners have also complained that Bluemotion diesel particulate filters have become blocked; hampering performance and economy