What Car? says
For Style; solid build; resale values
Against Pricey to buy; average to drive
Verdict Classy and compact – a dependable car with plenty of cachet
Go for… 1.2 (69bhp) Match 5dr
Avoid… 1.9 TDI
- 1. The Polo is more about comfort than thrills, and the supple suspension provides a compliant ride in both town and on faster roads. The steering and controls are light, and help make low-speed manoeuvr
- 2. You'll need to work the smaller petrol engines hard to make decent progress, and the diesel engines can sound gruff when pushed.
- 3. Servicing costs and insurance are higher than they are for many rivals, but you can save money by using one of the many cheaper independent Volkswagen specialist garages.
- 4. The interior generally feels durable, although the dashboard can rattle, especially around the centre console.
- 5. Look for damaged paint – particularly stone chips and, in some cases, whole flakes peeling away. Bumpers and wheelarches are most venerable, so check these carefully.