Chevrolet CAPTIVA 4x4 Owner reviews

VCDi LTZ 5dr [7 Seats]

For the money one of the best on the market in terms of spec, warranty and performance Bought this new in March 2011 as one of the last 2011 2.0lt 150ps models. Got a great deal and excellent warranty package. Satnav has had two software map updates foc. We have the Irmsher bodykit, lowering kit and 20in alloys fitted by dealer which really sets it off. Our auto model does 31.7mpg round town and about 40mpg on a run For the money I think its one of the best out there. Comes with everything you want and need, 4x4 works faultlessly in the winter and it happily pulls our twin axle 5 birth 1650kg caravan Having the 7 seats is just a bonus when taking the family out Really dont agree with whatcars review having owned other models which they have rated much higher

Dean Birkumshaw, Essex, May 4th 2013

VCDi LTZ 5dr [7 Seats]

Previously I had owned BMW, Jags, Volvo and Saab however my wife decided she wanted a smaller car so my car was traded for a new FIAT 500 and I took over my wife's Peugeot 807. After a week of driving the Peugeot I resolved it had to go before another piece of trim fell off on me. The replacement car need to fit several criteria i.e. an auto, diesel 7 seat car. After testing driving a Volvo (very loud engine) a Quashi (a bit bland) a Kia Sorento & Hyundai Santa Fe, I really wanted the Kia in KX3 trim but at over Β£32k thats Land Rover money & i could not get the discount I wanted. I decided to leave the purchase until Kia offered the discount I liked but then I saw an advert for the Vauxhall Antria and its warranty. I was told by the dealer that this did not come with 7 seats but its sister car the Captiva did so I took a test drive. The car was a 6 month old auto LTZ on for Β£18k (this was a Β£31k car when new) and I was glad i did take it for a drive, its more car like than the Hyundia and has more character than the Nissan and the price was right. I have had the car 2 months and covered 3k miles returning over 40mpg on a run. I do a lot of miles and this is one of the most comfortable cars I have owned, yes the engine is gruff when cold but on a run it silent. The car is practical, drives well, cheap to run, has really road presence, the dealer was great, the family love it, everyone who sees it thinks it looks great and miles better built that the Peug, whats not to like.

Jeffrey Edwards, Merseyside, December 17th 2011

VCDi LTZ 5dr [7 Seats]

Before choosing this car, I also had the ford s-max and the nissan quashqai in my shortlist and drove all three. My criteria was always seven seats and 4wd and even though the s-max doesnt come with 4wd, I felt I should test it. In the end of course I choose the Captiva and so glad I did. The s-max is a bit too mainstream for me and the quashqai cabin felt too small for us. The Captiva in LTZ form comes with of course seven seats, 4wd and you get leather and satnav not to mention so many other toys like heated seats, auto lights and wipers, hill descent and real practicality. As a family car, the Captiva really does offer it all. Okay, it doesn't have the badge kudos but do you want to impress your friends or drive a 4wd that is going to do the job and isn't going to have excessively high running costs. Fuel consumption is 33mpg combined and with 2000 miles on the clock, there have been zero problems. Quality of interior is good. It doesn't have the clunk of an Audi but I didn't pay Audi prices. Nothing feels like it will fall off and so far nothing has! Downsides are the manual gearbox which while more fuel effficient than the auto, does feels notchy but is definitely loosening up and the cornering which is a bit wafty but I think I just need to slow down a bit! When you look at the market for a 4wd seven seater, the options are limited and some of the brands in this space are very, very expensive. I think Chevrolet could be on to a winner here.

Mike Austin, United Kingdom, July 24th 2011

VCDi LT 5dr [7 Seats]

I owned the car for 6 weeks, couldn't live with it, took a hit and got rid of it, it was the automatic version I opted for and quite frankly the fuel consumption was dreadful, 19mpg in town 25 on the motorway and believe me I have never tried to drive so aware of accelerator movements. I think the car looks the part but the noise from the engine is extremely noisy and exaggerated by it being an auto, it sounded like an old van and was embarrassing really, interior build quality felt cheap and not at all like the American built Chevrolets I have owned the Auto box was smooth but had an intermittent fault in that when first driving would lose drive and if you reapplied the gas was ok, all in all I felt let down as it was sold as the first non Daewoo derived, Chevrolet from Korea and I am sorry but that is all the car is a rebadged Daewoo, when I had expected Vauxhall type build quality, anyway unless you have copious amounts of cash for fuel steer clear of the auto at least as there are far better Korean options available. All in all a regrettable experience I would advise anybody to think long and hard before opting for this car.

john deans, November 22nd 2008

VCDi LTX 5dr [7 Seats]

The only problem with my captiva is the aircon comes on when it likes.Let me elaberate, while driving, for no peticular reason the aircon kicks in making me bl---y cold.I garage my car on a night and each morning theres a puddle of condensation water under the aircon unit.I`m told this is normal by my dealer( surely not)

nigel holroyd, November 11th 2008

VCDi LTX 5dr [7 Seats]

I quite like the car, but the most annoying for me is that the radio reception is abysmal. I drive a lot and always listen to Radio 5 or Talksport MW/AM. The Unit itself is okay, with 6x CD Auto-changer and jack for an MP3 player. BUT I just want to listen to the radio. I have owned dozens of cars since 1976, (driven dozens more) but I have NEVER had radio reception this poor. (FM is poor on the move too). I've had cars with wire coathangers stuck into broken ariels that are miles better than this. 2008 and the radio is worse than a 1968 Ford Anglia. Hard to believe! But the in the words of the technician at my dealer "These are rubbish radios. It's because the window anttena is poor. It's just the way they are made." So, no repair - it is just made poorly. It's a small thing, but it makes me very annoyed on every occaision that I use the car. I would never have bought the car had I known the radio is useless and that is 'feature' that cannot be fixed. The answer, apparently, is to drill and fit a proper ariel IF it can be interfaced with the built in radio/CD unit (nobody knows). I regret the day I bought this car, every day.

Clive Aldridge, Essex, October 27th 2008

VCDi LT 5dr [7 Seats]

Further to my previous review I continue to be impressed with this car. It has coped very well with everything an Aberdeenshire winter can throw at it. I never thought I would use the hill descent control till I came across a long steep snow and ice covered country road, it worked very well all I had to do was steer ! 7000 miles now and no problems.

Andrew Hutchinson, October 27th 2008

VCDi LTX 5dr [7 Seats]

What can I say this is a magnificent vehicle it’s a large vehicle that looks much smaller than it really is. Don’t get me wrong its not perfect but show me a car that is. Its faults: the view through the rear is poor but you have big wing mirrors and reverse sensors (must have) to resolve that issue. There is no Sat-Nav or electric seats for a top of the range model. The steering has no feel and is very light (but that aids in your control and ease of parking). It wallows into corners at speeds but hey only top car show presenters drive like that and by the way this car should be driven at an easy pace for people to admire. Its good points: It drives like a dream, the suspension is magnificent lets you drive in comfort. The self-levelling suspension helps a great deal. It’s has room for everyone I’m 6’3 and when driving I can have someone my height sit behind me perfectly. The rear seats can be set up and folded in 2sec and there is loads of kit for the price. Take a ride you would not be disappointed. Don’t let car magazines and TV presenters discourage you from this car it American by name but for the price they got it right.

Wayde George, Bedfordshire, July 10th 2008

VCDi LT 5dr

Further to my previous review, now that we have driven it for a year, 15k miles, we find it to be better, the problem with the turbo lag below 1500rpm went away and the downhill assist is absolutely fantastic, we did eventually find the separate ash tray. In summary, a good car, and if you consider the price you can pick up one for (or lease one for), exceptionally good value for your money.

Andres Kruse, April 23rd 2008

VCDi LTX 5dr [7 Seats]

This is an excellent car and superb value for money. Its a great alternative to an MPV with 7 good seats. Access to the third row of seats is good and turning them back into boot space takes just a couple of seconds. Boot space is very impressive and even though I am 6 foot 5 I managed to sit in the second row of seats behind my drving position in relative comfort. Interior trim is better than I expected - its not an X5, but it feels like an improvement on the Mark 2 CRV I have driven previously. The drive is also comparable with similar SUV's. Spec is good too with Climate, cruise, heated leather, park assist etc. Highly recommended - think it deserves a 4 star from WhatCar!

Julian Small, Cambs, February 14th 2008

VCDi LTX 5dr [7 Seats]

7st 2.0D LTX Auto - This is a great car. Don't get me wrong, it's not going to set any new records in the speed or handling departments, but I changed to the captiva from a 150bhp diesel vectra SRI and mid range, it's not any different. Honestly, even though it's heavier it's got the same torque for accelerating or overtaking. Handling wise, it's better than any other soft 4x4 I've driven including the old shape CRV. Feels assured on B roads and like a Range Rover on motorways. The driving position is excellent, with fully adjustable steering column and seat. I've sat on better, but the seats are comfortable enough and their heated and leather! The cabin is huge, loads of room for all inside. I'm 6' tall and with the drivers seat in my position I can sit behind it comfortably. The access to the 3rd row is great, much better than I'd expected and they take 2 adults with ease. When the 3rd row seats are folded away (which takes 5 secs) the boot is massive and it has 4 very usefully sized hidden storage bins in the floor. With the 2nd row folded flat it's cavernous and will swallow a couch. The kit level is very good, and I especially like the small touches like the auto dim mirror and mp3 socket. Loads of cubby holes and a well laid out dash also make it a nice place to be. The fuel economy isn't the best I've seen, but for the size and power of the car it's acceptable with the tank good for about 360 miles. All in, I rate it 9/10.

Ross Thomson, January 3rd 2008

i LS 5dr FWD

After several months of searching for a replacement for our Discovery V8, more by accident than design I discovered the Captiva. We do not need a full blown offroader and due to all sorts of reliability problems and high repair costs I was certainly not going for another Land Rover product. I had looked at the Opel Antara first but the Captiva wins hands down on price, extras and a brilliant 7 seat layout. The engines offered in the UK are a not the best to say the least but as this was to be a vehicle for our place in Croatia I was able to order the European top-spec car with the wonderful V6 Holden produced engine as supplied to Alpha Romeo. The Captiva becomes a totally different car with this engine. It has performance and handling in abundance, vast interior space, good safety features and its 4-wheel drive system copes fine with what I demand of it (which is nothing too much these days). The whole family likes the car and my wife loves to drive it. Appearance wise it it has considerably more presence that many of its competitors and attracts a lot of compliments from friends/neighbours. So far I cannot think of a negative for this Captiva. I note that the smaller engined models get a 3 star rating in the UK. Trust me, having the V6 with all the bells and whistles takes it up to a good 4 stars.

Clive Llewellin, Lancashire, November 5th 2007

VCDi LT 5dr

Further to the review I submitted earlier today, two things: first, I only graded "In the cabin" 4 stars because mine hasn't got all the fancy average fuel, etc, readouts as I wouldn't pay the extra! Second, there is no way I would have bought a Daewoo - I was mortified to open the bonnet and read that word. Chevrolet should be more serious about our sensibilities as I'm sure there are people who would open the bonnet before buying and change their mind when they see that word! Fortunately I discovered how brilliant the car is before opening the bonnet.

alan wood, kent, October 31st 2007

i LS 5dr FWD

I just got mine, its great - the best money I've spent all decade! The handling is great for its length, the power isnt a Porsche but what do you expect? It's definitely better than all other crossover 4x4s under US$30,000. It's exceptionally nimble and hugs the road like a condom. Trust me, if anyones thinking on buying a crossover SUV under 30 grand and wants the feel of luxury along with it, get captivated with the Captiva.

Alston Lourens, June 1st 2007

VCDi LT 5dr [7 Seats]

I am currently looking around to purchase a suitable 7 seater in a 4x4 style. I have just rejected a Hyundai SantaFe 7 seater on the grounds of reliability and service from the dealers involved. I have been lucky to find a dealer locally who had one of the right hand drive versions of the Captiva in the UK and instantly went for a test drive. My main concern was the 7 seat option - How did it work? After seeing the terrible after thought bench seat in the new Mitsubishi Outlander it was a great approach to the 3rd row with fold flat seats. Just like the SantaFe and probably is based on the same being from a Korean origin. Good all round practicle car with good internal head room in the back. I even took the kids, wife and car seats for the test drive just to make sure that they were just as comfortable as I was driving. Good interior along with Radio with RDS and CD player!! Another smart but small added bonus is the 3.5mm jack socket to plug in an extra MP3 player or Ipod. Drives well on the country lanes as well as the motorway. Good accelaration and good towing potential. Overall an excellent styled vehicle which is was pleasant to drive. A well thought out price bracket, will suit company car drivers as well for tax reasons as it is a 2 litre diesel.

Alastair Craig, Berkshire, April 13th 2007

VCDi LTX 5dr [7 Seats]

I have had my eye on the Captiva for a while but I thought that I would wait and see how the new CR-V turned out. First impressions were reasonable but I now see them on every street here in Tallinn, Estonia and I think that the styling is awful - especially the rear quarter. The CR-V seems to have regressed in styling altogether. On the other hand the Captiva's looks are elegant and understated - this is a big car hiding in a package that looks deceptively small. I want to go the whole hog with spec and my dealer has been trying to get me to look at the 3.2 V6 that is available as an alternative range-topper on the Estonian market but the diesel is well capable enough - even with the auto box. At Β£21,600 with all the bells and whistles I can't see any reason why this will not be my next purchase. It drives well on the highway at speed and it coped with a slippery, ice-covered side road with ease. Suspension takes a bit of getting used to but I have owned 4X4s in the past and this handles better then any that I can remember, including a Mark 2 Range Rover. The Hyundai Santa Fe was also on my list and I couldn't separate the pair except on looks. The Hyundai is an attractive car in its own right but maybe it is just a little too derivative and whenever I am driving behind one I find myself trying to decide what else it looks like most - is it a Lexus RX300 or is it a VW Touareg? The Captiva has a stronger personality and that was the clincher.

Phil Lawrence, Middlesex, April 1st 2007

i LS 5dr FWD

This is a review for the 3.4 litre V6 petrol engine LTD version, which you do not list I test drove this in Finland where I live). It has considerable power with over 210bhp and accelerates to 100 kmh in 9 seconds. It handles very well and offers amazing space and extras. The only problem is it costs about 25% more than the poorly powered 2.4 litre version...they could offer someting to plug the gap as the fuel economy of the larger engine is diabolical...made for US gas station pricing. Very nice car though and very tempting. Just about to try negotiating the price with the dealer but might end up buying the diesel engine 7 seat version.

Andrew Knight, December 10th 2006