HDi VTR+ 5dr

I bought the new C4 after owning the original style C4 for over five years, completing well over trouble-free 80,000 miles. The old C4 was economical, comfortable, reliable, stylish and well-equipped. The new C4 is more economical and just as if not more reliable but lacks the original C4's bold styling - the big central speedo and fixed steering wheel centre have gone. It's gone main stream and hard to distinguish from boring Astras and the like. The spec of the VTR+ has changed - in come DRL, fog lamps linked to the steering/trafficators at night, folding mirrors, bluetooth, USB/iPod link, an improved display for the radio and trip computer and reversing sensors but out go auto-lighting, auto-wipers, climate control and the extremely useful shopping pull out in the boot. The conversion to RHD is just the same - the wipers and handbrake are still set for a driver on the left - but there is now a key hole in the driver's door. I've had the car for over a year now. The initial road tax was "nil"; this year it's Β£20. The 12,500 mile service was a fraction over Β£200 at the supplying dealer's workshop, and there has been nothing out of order during that time to trigger a warranty claim. MPG has not dropped below 56mpg, and 64mpg is regularly achieved over a tankful in hot weather. The seats are firm and comfortable, but not up to the armchair standards of the original C4 VTR+, but it feel tauter and lighter when driving along. Recommended!

John Davies, February 11th 2012

e-HDi [110] Airdream VTR+ 5dr EGS6

Nothing better

David Baynam, Other, December 6th 2011

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr [Non-DPFS]

I have had my C4 for 4 years on 05 plate. I have to say that this car is the worst car I have ever ever owned and I have had more than my fair share of cars in the past. Within 2 months of purchase it was back in the garage for a new air direction motor which changes the cabin airflow from window to foot well. a month later it was back with an engine warning light. After that it was ok for about 2 years almost trouble free. But 12 months ago the whole braking system (BOSCH) failed and had to be replaced. This was rear and front calipers as they were leaking, new master cylinder and servo. Also getting a permanent turbo calibration issue even though it has been calibrated several times and a constant depollution system fault. Now the battery seems to drain after 36 hours. The battery has been tested ok Citroen reckon it is an electrical fault but will not say. Also the rear wiring loom that operates the lights, boot lock, rear wiper and washer will sever rendering the whole tailgate useless. Until recently this has been a paid repair but Citroen have been forced to recall all C4's for a replacement wiring loom by VOSA which is some concelation. I have reached the end of my patients with the C4 and have now traded it for a Honda Civic. The best advice I can give to someone looking for a C4 is DON'T BUY ONE! not unless you can afford to throw your hard earned cash at it. The plus point the diesel engine is itself very good with medium torque and 65MPG

Mark Vale, Cheshire, June 21st 2011

i 16V SX 5dr

I own the 1.6sx auto i cant fault the car apart from very poor fuel consumtion i only drive town work and all i am getting is 24 mpg. If i do a long run very rare i get 48/50mpg which is good.On the sx model you only get front electric windows and on this model i would have expected electric all round.When i do sell this car i will be going for 1.6 diesel vtr egs c4 i might even go for 1.6 diesel vtr egs grand picasso if you could give me some feedback on this model i would be gratefull.This is the first time i have owned a citroen and i would recomend anyone to bye one WELL DONE CITROEN .

nigel lowbridge, westmidlands, December 16th 2008

i 16V SX 5dr

My mom owns this car for 16 months now and we've driven it for 34.000km so far. There has been only one small fault with the car - there was a squeaking noise produced from the exhaust connection to the motor every time the clutch is let go. The ride is very comfortable and the steering is phenomenal. The 1.6 motor is fast, refined, and economical. If you look under the bonnet, it's a really small engine, everything is within a small reach, so and independent mechanic will have no problems servicing it. Tyre wear is only minor and just now the first ribs of our Michelin Energy tyres have worn off. The car is a true head-turner, especially the coupe version which I have. The boot is really big, I like the whole digital display mode in this Citroen, it a real refreshment and it's much more stylish than that in the Honda Civic. My sister had it crashed a bit as somebody crashed into her rear right smashing the low lying foglight. Insurance fixed this but I was amazed that it cost only 20 euros! The entire damage including painting and parts was just 250 euro!. So it's great even if you have to pay for the damage. I highly recommend this car.

Milos Ristic, Serbia & Montenegro, November 12th 2008

i 16V VTR Plus 5dr

I've had my C4 1.6 petrol for almost 6 months now and overall i'm pleased. It looks stylish and is well put together inside and out. I drive Ford Focuses at work and it's every bit as good as they are. The ride is firm (suprising for a Citroen) and is the only reason i've marked it down a star. Performance is OK although I do find the engine a little revvy above 65mph, with hindsight a diesel would have been a better bet. Fuel economy is fairly good, especially when the cruise control is used. The dash is excellent, clear to read and very user friendly. I've had one slight electrical problem quickly sorted out by Taylors Citroen in Boston. This is my first experience as a Citroen owner although they have been in my family for many years. I would certainly recommend them.

Jan Powell, Lincolnshire, October 28th 2008

i 16V VTR Plus 5dr

Worryingly, my actual model doesn't get listed. I own a 56 1.6 VTR+ Coupe (3dr). Owned it since new and have only managed 4500 miles to date. You expect some gremlins with a new car - electronic petrol display showing that I gained fuel for every mile driven (if only it were true!),resolved by a reboot!. Wind noise from the drivers window, resolved by adjusted door rubbers. Rattling passenger door, two replacements fitted and it continues (got used to it now and don't 'hear' it any more). Exhaust rattled, buffers adjusted and resolved. Otherwise, it has been a dream to own and drive. OK, it isn't as responsive in low gears as my wifes Focus 1.6 and there is an obvious delay when I put my foot down in first gear to nip out of side roads, but all in all a comfortable and reliable ride. Sleek design, I wanted a narrower cabin and I don't need a mammoth boot, it is sufficient to fit my childs buggy, change bag, shopping and the usual 'boot stuff'. My only real gripe is the seals. The cold penetrates this car like it was a tent - many a winter morning I have found ice and/or condendsation on the inside of the windscreen. When I check my wifes car, the inside is ice free. Citroen said to keep the air con on to reduce the effect of my breath humidifying the inside! Oh and i'll hold my breathe as well shall I? I've been a Vauxhall and Ford man all my life, I dabbled in Citroen because I fancied a change. It's been interesting. I'm not sure how much I like change!

Glenn Feldman, Essex, October 28th 2008

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr [Non-DPFS]

5000 miles in 3 months and on the whole I have been very pleased. I use it for business and commuting and I have a mixed motorway/B road journey. I would say it is happiest when cruising on the motorway with little intrusive noise though on some roughly laid roads the tyre noise can be a bit wearing. It took a while to find the perfect seat position due to fiddly adjusters but once found it offers a very comfortable position, I am close to 6ft 5” and have no complaints. I have the found the dash board layout very easy to navigate and I do like the fixed hub as it works well and makes perfect sense with all the controls within easy reach. The stereo, dual cc, cruise control etc are all of class standard and having owned VW, Ford, Seat etc I cannot say the interior is any worse or better, all having their strength and weaknesses. Performance is adequate though not exciting, pulling best in 3rd and 4th and the engine noise not too intrusive. Handling and ride is good though hit a bump mid corner and you will feel it shoot through the cabin. One or two minor rattles in door and seat belt adjuster, hoping to get sorted at service, finger crossed!

John Nicklin, July 30th 2008

HDi 16V VTR Plus 3dr EGS

Have owned this car for 8 months and now done just over 8000 miles, just come back from 2500 mile holiday to Italy, averaging 57/58 to gallon and wasn't driving like my granny. 650 miles and 10 hours in the seat is a good way of testing comfort. Nothing has fallen off yet and everything still works. The only problem is the headlamp 'protectors' you need to put on for beam deflectors; these rubbish items cost Β£55 and are prone to breaking, made in Australia! It's probably a bit cramped for a family but fine for 2 people, black wasn't the best colour choice but that's my fault.

Richard Turner, July 11th 2008

i 16V SX 5dr

See my review off the vtr+ 1.6HDI 16v. I had this when mine was in getting fixed (that'll be every other day!!). Overall was very smooth, lovely smooth petrol engine but not quite enough power for such a heavy car, but it does do the job - noisey at motorway speeds. SX feels alot more plasticy (awfull steering wheel in all models - but more so without the leather) inside than top spec vtr+. Its not really as quirky as its made to look. Build quality still falls behind all of Citroens rivals. Bor 10k you'll get the basic vt model with comfy mid size family car appeal and a reserved parking spot at the Citroen dealership!

Andrew Hood, July 10th 2008

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr

I bought this car & swiftly sold it.Wanted to love it cos its stunning to look at in 5 door guise,but what a nightmare.In only 6 months/4k- failed electrics 3 times (ecu),broken boot lock,failed heater,eratic e/windows,split boot seal,door/speedo rattles,groaning at low speed,sticky clutch,whole dash used to buzz if car in hot sun,air con/cc smells,sun visors kept falling off,poor panel alignment (tailgate/spoiler/rear lights causing paint damage to boot lid),injector problems,door seals rub paint off doors,interior is flimsey,broken seat belt,window rattles,seat belts rattle,all not helped be dis-interested Citroen dealer (surely not!)- Wallsend,although Alan was great(service manager).Then the glove box is too small and cheap.Interior looks dated despite all the buttons.Sloppy gear change.Doors/handles feel poor quality.Vtr+ suspension is too hard,feel everything through the steering.Only plus is the PSA/Ford HDI engine is quick when pushed (and quiet) but drinks alot this way.A real let down.Maybe ive just been unlucky with this one buts its put me off Citroens for life - & ive owned loads over the years up to now.

Andrew Hood, July 10th 2008

i 16V SX 5dr

The glove box has broken and the car's been back at the dealer's five times with still no solution to the awful creaking and squeaking noises. Lots of quirky gadgets and innovations and the dash display is great. It lacks a bit of punch and is quite boring to drive. The gears are notchy and the clutch is very difficult.

John Edwards, July 10th 2008

HDi 16V SX 5dr [110]

I have owned this car for two months and it is a fanastic car to drive. I always get at least 50mpg. The equipment is very good and has everything I want. It is very quick from 3rd to 4th and can leave at lot of cars standing. I have owned Citroens for a long time and this is by far the best one I have owned.

Martin Cooper, Hampshire, July 6th 2008

i 16V SX 5dr

I have found that this car is so badly put together it just falls apart constantly. Glove box has broken twice, has been in the garage so many times and its always the computer's fault. it may be cheap but it is a trial to keep your patience with. Suggest look again

A M Jones, May 7th 2008

HDi 16V VTR Plus 3dr EGS

I've been driving this for over a year now and done approx 43k miles. The EGS gearbox takes a little getting used to but its great in stop start traffic. The car rarely delivers less than 50mpg in normal everyday usage and when cruising on the motorway at 65-70 it will easily manage 55-60mpg. Handling could be sharper but its acceptable, Interior wise its okay I like the bid speedo which is easy to see. The rear seat leg room is a bit mean and the boot a little small but since its rarely carries significant amounts of people or luggage its not an issue to me. Only real problem was the handle locking open on the drivers door but this was fixed by the garage with a bit of grease. Build quality was better than the old C5 I drove for a while. Road tax is only Β£35 as the 1.6HDI EGS is 120g Co2/km!

Gerard Young, Wilts, April 30th 2008

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr

When running, this is good to drive and has plenty of room. However, in 2 years it clocked up four new turbos, a brake failure, five recalls and a new clutch. In total I managed 17,000 miles due simply to the length of time it was in the garage. The main grumble is with the dealerships and Citroen for their atrocious service, where poor customer service is OK. Speaking to other dealerships, the C4 is a dud car with a huge catalogue of problems.

Austin Barclay, cornwall, April 1st 2008

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr [Non-DPFS]

I bought this car brand new in May 2006 having previously owned a C5 estate. Test drove a Skoda Octavia and a Honda Civic before opting for the C4. Great engine, loads of kit, plenty of pockets & places to store knick-knacks along with good looks. Comfy although feels unsettled over bumps & potholes and the interior rattles all over the place which drives me crazy! Air con not the best but don't believe all this stuff about confusing instrument displays and the like as once you get used to them they're just fine. No reliability issues at all (apart from the trim rattles) although engine doesn't sound great on start up when ticking over in very cold weather. Am considering changing as approaching two years old but what to get? A car with this much kit is usually top of the range with other manufacturers and some of the stuff (e.g. auto-dimming rear view mirror) is only available as an otion with other brands.

andrew mather, lancashire, March 9th 2008

HDi 16V VTR Plus 3dr EGS

What an expected and wonderful surprise! Time for me to eat a bit of public humble pie. I had originally set my sights on a VW Golf 2.0 TDi as I wanted a turbo-diesel with an auto box. However, the timing of a move to a new flat meant economies had to be made on the car front... I thought I'd wait for the new Ford PowerShift box and get a Focus but found the 08 Focus to be the most visually uninspiring car both inside and out so ruled it out... I loved the new Civic but I couldn't get an automatic diesel, and doing 2000 miles a month means economy matters, so as a last resort I decided to look at the C4, and having done so 3 yrs ago, I wasn't looking forward to it as I thought the interior was very poor before. In short, excellent in all respects. The 1.6 110 HDi engine is responsive and punchy, the EGS 'automated manual' is far better than Honda's i-Shift (though admittedly not as good as the VW/Audi DSG) and the look and feel of the interior on the VTR+ version is excellent and comes with pretty much everything you could ask for as standard. On top of all that, the economy is amazing, even the hard-driven demonstrator I originally tried was averaging 50+ mpg and I'm seeing nearly 70mpg on my daily 90 mile round trip commute. In summary, sorry Mr Citroen, I should never have doubted you!

Steven Gascoyne, March 6th 2008

i 16V SX 5dr

We leased a 1.4sx in 2005 and its currently sitting on my drive waiting for the lease to expire, its by far the mose unrealiable car I have ever had (and I've had a lot). Since we've had it, its been in for 4 recalls. The clutch has been a problem since the 3rd month and despite 5 trips to a dealer they keep saying nothing wrong there all like that, but its now almost undrivebale, you only have to press the clutch down 0.5cm to change gear, and when you try to pull away it just judders unless you rev it to about 5000rpm, but still they say, thats normal and as its hydraulic it cannot be adjusted. Currently the cruise control/speed limited doesnt work, sensor error, When I got it the rear window winder was lying in the footwell and took 2 visits to get fixed (would appear they dont stock parts anymore). The 1.4 is underpowerd and very noisey, Corners well but steering feels like theres nothing attached the other end. They may have solved some issues now as we had an early model but I would never but a citroen again, good value but boy do you suffer for it in reliablity.

mark osborne, February 9th 2008

HDi 16V Cool 5dr

Having owned and driven a Ford Ka for 7 years (from new) and driven over 150,000 miles without a problem, my next car was going to have a hard act to follow. I hate looking for cars and spent months researching what was best for me - new or used, Ford or Citroen? I have to say I was very wary of buying a Citroen after reading some of the reviews on this page, however having owned the car for a number of months I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the C4. I went for the C4 Cool 1.6 HDI 96 diesel as for the money this had the best features, also on 0% for 3 years. Having nearly gone for a Focus, this C4 won me over with its original looks and most of all the electric gadgets and high spec- on which the Focus didn't compare. So far I am very impressed and would urge you to try the C4 you will be pleasantly suprised!

Mark Jende, February 4th 2008