CitroΓ«n DS5 Hatchback Owner reviews

I am currently running the DS5 2.0 D in Sport model. the car is top rate apart from some minor issues. The issues may seam minor, but had I known prior to ordering I would have chosen something else. Firstly the SAT NAV is a joke. The destination postcode is only 4 digits. How in the modern era can this still happen. i can buy a sub Β£100 TOM TOM and get to exactly the correct location. Citreon are not interested in the issue, and have tried to brush it under the carpet. Second, the dash board illumination can not be turned down to a level that is suitable for night time driving. There is a button to turn off all of the dash and the center console, but once pressed the speedometer is too bright to drive with, and Citreon do not know how to turn it down. Third, and the smallest issue, there are no cup holders!! in a cabin as brilliantly designed how can they miss out a simple place to put your coffee! The car as stated is top rate, and would be 5 stars on everything but the SAT NAV is pathetic. Still getting well over 45MPG, and its a pleasure to drive.

Bill Earlie, West Yorkshire, January 23rd 2014

HDi DSport 5dr

I love this car, smooth quiet ride, power when you need it and sheer comfort and luxury in the cabin. The watch strap leather is gorgeous and the black paint is so very black, it's beautiful.

Annette Read, December 30th 2013

HDi Hybrid4 Airdream DSport 5dr EGS

I love this car. I run the hybrid4 model which has everything I need to prevent boredom on the motorway. Fuel consumption is much higher than claimed but the electric drivetrain gives punchy acceleration and silent progress around town. If only the electric only range was more than a few kilometres. Everyone I have driven the car with has been really impressed. I have driven many different cars but none with the style and comfort as this. Yes the ride can be a bit shocking at times but mostly the insulated cabin means that even harsh bumps are accompanied by silence which softens the blow. The impression when driving is that the suspension is similar to that of a hot hatch which is enjoyable because everything else about the car is so comfortable. I drive up to 300 miles at a time and never in a car this relaxing. It's a company car so I am not bothered by the residuals however for private buyers its not the percentage that is the issue it's the actual amount of money lost on the car. In my experience, comparing the depreciation of a similar specification executive car which costs more brand new you may find the actual value lost per year is very similar. 5 stars and I don't care if What Car doesn't agree.

Tom Barron, Oxon, December 11th 2013

HDi Hybrid4 Airdream DSport 5dr EGS

D-Style with leather/electric seats, reviewed after 13 months & 36k miles. Good: It's not a 3er/A4/C Class Exterior and interior design Very well equpped for the price Motorway refinement Gearbox/clutch Loads of front end grip in the dry and very little roll – can really be pushed along on the right roads Build quality - feels very solid, nothing rattles or has broken Bad: On 18” wheels, the DS5 doesn’t like potholes or sharp transverse ridges and the rear suspension sometimes feels like it’s not connected to the body – however, this only happens very occasionally on certain surfaces Fairly limited rear leg room in relation to its overall size Limited grip in the wet – can slip in to understeer and then sharp oversteer Ordinary: Driving position is borderline for me at 6’3”. The pedals could do with being an inch or 2 further away (and a bit lower) in relation to the steering wheel Steering – it’s sharp enough, just lacks any sort of feel Economy – I get c.41-42mpg, mostly motorway at c.85mph. Falls to low/mid 30's round town. Ordinary compared to a 320d at 50+ Performance is fine on the motorway, just lacks a bit of overtaking urge Heated seats don’t get very hot Ventilation systems won’t allow a temperature difference of much more than 2* between driver and passenger Irritants: No external boot release Memory seats not linked to keyless entry or door mirrors Cupholders are useless Automatic wipers are useless No postcode search on satna

Chris Stott, October 23rd 2013

HDi DStyle 5dr

I had this car on an extended test drive, being an owner of the softly riding and refined CitroΓ«n C5. The exterior and interior are both, in my opinion, gorgeous. The car looks particularly good in black or white. The cabin is stylish and beautifully finished. The Hdi engine is refined and quite powerful, driving position good, visibility generally good, though less so to the rear. The "cockpit" style driving position feels more claustrophobic than the average saloon, but you feel quite special driving this car. Gear change is slick, radio good, satnav not the best. I don't see much point to the flattened off bottom of the steering wheel - pure styling, I would have thought. There has been plenty of discussion online about the firm ride of the car. I agree that it takes a bit of getting used to if you have come from another CitroΓ«n, but it does make the car feel more nimble and less cushioned/wallowy than a C5 on steel springs, for example. Overall it is no firmer than BMW 3 and X3 I have ridden in. On flat tarmac it's fine, but it can sound a bit thumpy over rough tarmac and potholes. I would try to get 17" wheels if I could and avoid 19". Handling and steering felt fine, but then I'm not a racy driver. Overall, it's a question of whether the beauty and originality of this car trumps the firmer than average ride for a CitroΓ«n. I would say it does - just.

Steve Smith, North Yorkshire, September 8th 2013

HDi DStyle 5dr

I initially read whatcar's review and was put off even looking at the DS5, then I started reading owners reviews and decided to road test one - a revelation, where was the hard uncomfortable ride? admittedly it doesn't like traverse ridges but it is not a show stopper. The rest of the car inside and out is superb and I took the plunge and bought one. If anything in real life the DS5 is even more impressive than the roadtest suggested, quiet, comfortable and a hoot to own. The DS5 is sadly too rare - don't let the brainwashing of the pro german press stop you buying a brilliant and characterful car.

Garry Crook, September 6th 2013

HDi DSport 5dr

Having driven Audis, VWs and SEATs for the past 15 years thought I would have a change. I ran a BX as a company car in the early 90s over 80,000 miles and it was excellent. The DS5 is like nothing else on the road for the money (second hand). I sat in an A4 for the same money and it left me underwhelmed. Having covered 6,000 miles in 3 months I think I can comment on the car having had chance to get used to it. It is a car that makes you smile inside and out. Problems are minor - no grab handle in the rear, economy in the low 40s; no external boot release; fiddly stereo and A/C buttons and a hard ride. That's it. Overall it is great to be in something different; it has every extra as standard and the quality is superb. If you aren't a badge snob you can't go far wrong.

Andrew Turner, Lancashire, August 23rd 2013

HDi DSport 5dr

Like so many readers here I struggle to identify with WC?s dreadful review of the DS5 given my own experiences. In February '13 I took an extended test drive for a week so I could consider a DS5 hybrid as a more tax efficient potential replacement for my E61 BMW 2.0D SE touring Business Edition company car which has served me so well these past three years. I just took delivery of my new company DS5. Let's get "the ride" out of the way first: The DS5 would be much more "Citroen" if it had a soft and baggy ride, with floppy steering. While motoring journalists seem to adore this as a Citroen asset, and a counterpoint to Germanic market leaders, I am no so sure that the public agree. The DS5 rides no more harshly than a 3 series on similar wheels and tyres. The only issue is that the damping seems to be oddly adjusted which means that it tends to crash into potholes a little harder tha nmy five does. Otherwise all is just fine. It may be harder than Journalists want Citroens to be, but I suggest that it will not horrify anyone coming from a large-wheeled Audi or BMW. It rides perfectly acceptably IMO. In every other way the DS5 is almost the opposite of a similarly priced Three series. It is achingly beautiful inside and out with styling that will certainly polarize viewers, and is s special place to sit. Quality is 99% as high as my five series was. The DS5 has personality absent from every German rival. You either appreciate that or not. I love it.

David Ormston, west Midlands, June 26th 2013

HDi Hybrid4 Airdream DSport 5dr EGS

I cannot recommend this car. Has broken down twice now within 6 months/16,000 miles with serious mechanical failures. Citroen of course say this is exceptional, however my only other experience with Citroen also had 3 roadside breakdowns over its 3 year life, so my personal experience of Citroen is poor. Good points:- Styling - most people comment on the good looks. 4 wheel drive was great in the snow. Cabin quality. Seems to be close to Audi/BMW quality for linings and switchgear. Poor points:- Reliability; failed hybrid gearbox and separately failed particulate filter left me stranded both times. Fuel consumption - only get 50mpg out of this even if driven carefully. Expected high 50's. 16k average 49mpg Very jerky auto gear change; if you've experienced an Audi/VW DSG box then look away. Ride is poor and steering imprecise. You can live with it though. Radio has very poor reception; more drop outs then I've ever experienced in any other car. Bluetooth is also un-reliable. Boot space on the hybrid is tiny; I knew this from the test drive, but in real world use it really is small. You'll need a roof box. Sat Nav only accepts 4 digit post codes. Complained to Citroen who said 'that's normal for all european manufacturers'. Use my Β£35 iphone app instead.

David Thomas, May 29th 2013

HDi Hybrid4 Airdream DSign 5dr EGS

I dont understand the poor review this gets for handling, just got one as a company car to replace my VW Scirocco, considering its size it handles excellently well, almost as good as the VW on twisty roads... I havent experienced any crashy ride, if anything its far more refined than the VW on rough roads, and definitely quieter. My only minor complaints so far are about the impracticality of the interior, great place to be, but no usable cup holders front or rear on a Β£35k car is not really acceptable these days. I would recommend people try one of these first, with Co2 tax it was the same price for me to get one of these as a specced up 1 series bmw, and with the recent snow, I know which I'd rather be in. Although not a 3 series, its nearer that in spec and size, and on some things such as certain materials its better than the bmw 3 touring for example in my opinion, and certainly different.

Emyr Poole, March 27th 2013

HDi Hybrid4 Airdream DSport 5dr EGS

Had this on extended test drive as possible replacement for my C5 Tourer and I loved it. Like the other review I have no idea why What Car? gives it such a hard time in the ride department - although I do find What Car very pro-German brand. Anyway, you sit a bit higher in this than in a normal car - this was a pleasant surprise. The steering was light and sharp and the car reacted quickly to any turn and was actually very good fun hussling along the back roads in Ayrshire. The engine is quick to respond and has plenty of go in all gears. The car looks very different on the outside and was a head-turner wherever we went and did gather a number of viewers when parked but it is the inside where you spend the time and where the quality comes through. Yes, it's quirky but it is classy in it's own way. Everything is close to hand and easy to configure. For company tax reasons I am going to go with the taxman friendly 115 EGS model in the DStyle varient - I know it is a bit slower but it shaves around Β£1300 off the tax bill and Β£200 a year off the fuel so I just need to remember that when I want to put the foot down. I would say that it may not be for everyone but if you like to be a bit left field and not follow the herd then give it a go - you will be surprised and I am sure you will find the dealers are excellent to deal with - my local garage gave my C5 a full valet when I had the DS out!

Jim Connor, South Ayrshire, November 6th 2012

HDi DStyle 5dr

Recently drove a top spec H4 Dsport on an extended test drive and cannot understand the poor rating given by Whatcar on this site. The hybrid system was smooth and responsive and very easy to drive, the ride quality was fine, even on the 19" rims on the test car. The cabin quality is outstanding and the design simply stunning. This car is genuinely up there with BMW/Audi/Mercedes. The only gripe I would make is the poor luggage capacity with the hybrid system.

Mike Dunn, Cheshire, July 17th 2012