CitroΓ«n Grand C4 Picasso (07 - 13) Owner reviews

Had the automatic version delivered on Friday. Very very nice car and looks fab. Inside is designed very well. But.........very very unhappy with the gear change. Such a lag, and you get a jolt when it does change. In addition car feels like it wants to stall when pulling away. If you are at a roundabout, don't just pull out or you will be in trouble!!! Also this auto rolls back after 2 seconds on a hill start. As I said delivered Friday, In dealership Monday (less than 100 miles on clock). Parking break faults.

Kris Orme, Kent, July 3rd 2014

VTi VTR 5dr

This is my wifes car and I understand that it is not a drivers car. It is meant for eating motorway miles and cruising, which it is excellent at. At slow speeds in towns with potholes it is rather crashy, but the extra space and gadgets more that make up for that. This car plays MP3's/ connects to an MP3 player/has auto handbrake/has a clever trip computer/ tells you if a driver/passanger doesn't have their seatbelt on/ has seperate climate control etc etc. There are so many sily little things that we keep finding them, like the folding mirrorS. There are so many small detail things that this car does that I could spend a whole day listing them. The worst bit is that I own and old Picasso and when I park it, I am now tending to nearly forget to put the handbrake on as a habit. Our model is a '11 Model and has done about 1500 miles, No problems. MPG is also great thanks to that 6th gear. Ours is the 1.6Hdi Turbo and has averaged 48mpg which isn't bad considering the driving to do.

Robert Frith, Anglesey, October 11th 2011

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr EGS

Got this car on Motability and am coming to the end of the lease period. Upgraded from a Renault Scenic to this and the first thing you notice is the overall length of the car and the windscreen. It's very long and may be a difficult park at times. The added length though didn't make up extra room in the cabin. Front overhang to the steering wheel is almost a metre and a half. This takes away some interior room as a consequence. I also found the shoulder room to be less than the Scenic I had too. The 2nd row legroom space is good, slightly better than the 5 seater Scenic I had, but as with most 3rd row seats, they are what they are, cramped. Boot space is good with 3rd row seats folded, non existent when they are up. The interior hasn't had any bits falling off, but mechanics wise, had to have part of the gearing replaced due to an inherent fault on the gearbox(Can't remember what, but it was major). Covered under warranty though. The worst part of this car though is the drive. It "bounces" and sways all over the place and feels very unsteady on the motorways, not aided but it's added height. The gear changes with the EGS box is rough and seems to be based on getting you to 6th gear as soon as possible, usually by about 40mph+. The 2ltr petrol engine though is good and the right power for this size of car, but it is in no way economical. A full tank will give you about a 250 mile range. So not the greatest car, but worthwhile if it comes to you as fully working and

Alex Bourne, middlesex, September 27th 2011

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr EGS

Owned one for eight months and now just sold it! Cost me four grand for the experience. Nice looks but real mechanical issues. 1. Clutches - burn out at 25000 mile onwards (same as peugeot 307)cost Β£1500 to fix if dual mass flywheel kaput. 2.Electronic handbrake - Mine locked on twice at traffic lights and would not release, needs a software down load. 3.Tyres - If you have the steel wheels only fit Michelin tyres as the tyre beads on other brands spin the wheel trim around ripping valves out, we had two punctures due to this. 4.Boot catch fails (Β£60 to fix) 5. Petrol cap wont open on button and again is a garage job. 6.Windscreen wiper motors fail , the tell tail sign is when one sticks in the upright position. 7. Windscreen has triple vision at night and cost Β£500 to fix. Do the right thing buy something japanese like i had too after buying this!

Euan Donald, Cumbria, March 20th 2011

HDi 16V LX 5dr

Until about a month ago, I was happy with this car. Now Citroen have demanded that my car is taken off the road as dangerous as they claim it was flood damaged and they scrapped it. I have had the car checked and it was never flood damaged. No "Can we check your car?" No "Would you like to trade in your car for a new one?" Just a legal battle where it seems the burden of proof is on me. Thanks Citroen. Apparently there are 841 cars like mine from 2009 around Europe. Thinking of buying a car? Buy from a company that gives a damn about its customers. Anyone but Citroen.

Dan Saunders, October 25th 2010

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr EGS

I bought this car new in June 2008 and was very happy with the deal I got from the dealer. I originally intended to buy the VTR model but the options I specified together with the deal on offer made the Exclusive better value. Of the options, the rear parking sensors are great and I wish I'd specified front sensors as well. The electric folding mirrors are a real bonus as they make driving through width restrictions much easier, although they are vulnerable in car parks and expensive to replace! It is great for transporting people and goods around and very impressive refinement at any speed. The EGS gearbox is relaxing to drive slowly around town or at motorway cruising but disconcertingly slow to react to sudden need for acceleration at 60mph or when taking off at roundabouts or entering motorways. My biggest complaint however, is the tendency of the air-suspension to fail at low mileage. I am constantly having to reset the suspension to avoid the warning alarm and service light. Currently monitoring it and anticipating a large bill! I would buy another but would buy petrol, manual and a lower-spec model next time.

Richard Garratt, March 7th 2009

HDi 16V Exclusive 5dr EGS

I HAVE HAD MY GRAND C4 PICASSO JUST OVER A MONTH,I CHOSE THE 1.6 HDI VTR+ EGS,SO FAR SO GOOD,I HAVE BEEN VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE LEVEL OF EQUIPMENT ON THE C4,THE SPEED LIMITER I FIND VERY USEFUL,AS OF COURSE CRUISE CONTROL. THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF COMMENT ABOUT THE (AUTOMATIC GEARS, E.G.S.)I FIND THEM VERY SMOOTH AND RESPONSIVE. I WEAR SIZE 10 SHOES AND HAVE NO PROBLEM,YOU CAN PUT YOUR FOOT ON THE LEDGE PROVIDED, OR DIRECTLY ON THE FLOOR,WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. THE NEXT COMMENT WAS ABOUT THE GEARS,THE COMMENTS WERE THAT THE GEARS WERE JERKY,ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT I HAVE NEVER HAD IT OUT OF AUTO MODE SINCE I GOT IT,THE WHOLE FAMILY FIND THE GEAR CHANGING VERY SMOOTH AND WITHOUT ANY JERKING,THE AUTO HANDBRAKE IS GREAT, AND EASY TO GET USED TO,THE ENGINE IS SMOOTH QUIET AND VERY RESPONSIVE,AND AS GOOD AS THE FORD 2LITRE DIESAL. ON SHORT JOURNEYS I HAVE BEEN AVERAGING ABOUT 42 M.P.G THE FRONT SEATS ARE VERY COMFORTABLE,WITH PLENTY OF SUPPORT,WITH THE ADDED BENIFIT OF ARM RESTS,THE FINISH OF THE INTERIOR PLASTICE I THINK IS OF HIGH QUALITY. THE DIGITAL SPEEDO IS SUPERB AND WELL PLACED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DASH,AND YOU SOON GET USED TO IT,WOULDENT LIKE TO GO BACK TO DIALS. THE STEERING WHEEL IS SUPERB,AND YOU SOON GET USED TO ALL THE SWITCHES,THERE IS PLENTY OF CUBBY HOLES AROUND THE VEHICLE,AND PLENTY OF STORAGE SPACE AT THE REAR. THE SEAT ARE EASY TO COLLAPSE AND PUT UP,

peter stanford, cheshire, February 22nd 2009

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr

Me and my husband ordered the TOP MODEL WITH EVERY FACTORY OPTION AT A COST OF 32,000 EUROS WHICH THE FACTORY DELIVERED TO OUR HOLIDAY HOME DEALER IN MARCH 2008 and is a LHD. The Vehicle had the 18-inch alloys fitted. We needed new tyres we could not get the size, the dealer said none in the country! Had to be ordered. Then we had the computer keep saying water in the diesel filter. Went for its first service what a joke that was, they did the factory recall (brakes/bracket) but forgot to do the service. When we took it back I saw the mechanics sitting in the back watching a movie from my 2 DVDS instead of doing the service (have photos of this). Now I have hit a bird in the road which got stuck in my front grill I took it out and continued to drive for a further 2 weeks (small damage to plastic grill) while parts ordered from my dealer, then I lost oil from the gearbox as the wind blowing through the broken grill moved the PLASTIC BREATHER/FILLING CAP ONTOP of the gearbox which resulted in it melting and oil spilling out. I quickly pulled over got the vehicle on a tow truck to the dealer. Who then said it was my fault and not covered under warranty. Yet was waiting for parts taking 2 weeks to get. I have contacted France Citroen HQ with NO HELP WHAT SO EVER.I even have proof (photos and a Citroen service manager) of over 600 warranty cases since November 2008 on varies Citroens in his dealership. Mrs Anna Davenport (contact me Citroen on roseandpearl@yahoo.co.uk)

Anna Davenport, Suffolk, February 17th 2009

HDi 16V Exclusive 5dr EGS

we have the 1.6hdi egs+ since march08 we have it on the motability scheme we find it very comfortable, and topped up 3,000 miles the view is great,i find it very good.on diesel.never had a diesel car before,but now reconmend it,seating is good i had problem finding the right car,as im 6"5"and have disability.but the leg room is spacious,and seating comfortable,on long journeys only had car sinse,march08 and cannot,fault it.

ray rose, suffolk, October 25th 2008

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr

I have never driven such a load of ..... junk before. Just about to have it's first anniversary 17.10.08. Unfortunatley we will not be celebrating this is the date that it first broke down and has done so ever since. De-pollution system faulty x 4, failed auto hand brake x 2, faulty gear box, loss of fuel guage display, loss of mileometer display, ABS faults . New Software downloads x 3 approx. And a rather unusual shade of grey (more like gold!) I am now on first name terms with the tow truck firm. Citroen have made it very clear to me that there is absolutely no exchange or refund they will just keep on fixing it for the length of the warranty. No matter how many brake downs there are. I can't even sell it as no other garages will touch it!!!

Stephanie Marett, Channel Islands, October 7th 2008

i 16V VTR Plus 5dr EGS

Well were to start,owned the car since march 2008, so writing this after 6months of happy motoring. After the first week took the car to the south of France and on down to Barcelona in Spain. Stopping to have its 1000 miles service in France.We covered 2500 miles and the car was faultless, the drive was fantastic it seemed to eat up,mile after mile with easy. The kids said its was comfortable in the back that was with the centre seat folded down for the wife's kichen sink they all seem to take everywhere. Then for the real engine and gearbox test, the mountain roads of the pyrenees, moving the gearbox lever to manual it was time to play with the paddles.I never expected it to be quick and enjoyable, 2 touches on the left paddle and down two gears it came, 1 on the right and up a gear. Yes impressed seem to take milli seconds,never had a cluck. In all a great car thats does what they say it will, more than happy with it.

david mountford, cheshire, September 27th 2008

HDi 16V Exclusive 5dr EGS

I have had this car a year, driven 35,000 miles in it, and it's pretty good. Gear change can be a bit clunky in auto mode, but I can't be bothered with the paddles so I live with it. The blind spot caused by the A pillar is small - much less than that our previous car, a Zafira; also the big windscreen is excellent, as is the glass roof. The Jukebox feature on the radio, which you can copy your CDs into, is excellent - I've got 74 CDs into it so far and it is not yet full, but the satnav isn't the most helpful - the tiny deviation on the map picture indicating that you should exit a motorway is so easy to miss that it has led me astray a few times. The seat material is difficult to clean properly using a vacuum cleaner but space and cubby holes etc are good. I have not commented on running costs as it a company car (i.e. I don't care), but the P11D tax burden is reasonable. Overall, for my family of five with two teenagers and a five year old, I'll give it 90%.

John Smith, September 9th 2008

HDi 16V Exclusive 5dr EGS

Before we had this car we owned a Ford Galaxy 1.9TDI and as it was getting on a bit we thought now might be the time to downsize due to tax and the price of diesel going up. So after quite a few months of looking round the C4 came out top for practicality and vision and was the most similar to what we were use to. vThe handling is dreadful, everything felt cheap, even opening the bonet the stay came off in my hand and once back onto the bracket the bonnet felt too flimsy to stay up. The seat material wouldn't last with our children. We had to laugh when we got it as we read about lots of compartments, but when we looked the under floor spaces had the air compressor in and the other the jack so was lost already, no boot cupboards which the Galaxy had 3 large cubby holes. Apart from this the engine seemed to be ok for the size of car even though you had to use higher revs to get any power from the engine which we averaged 45MPG which also suprised us as our Galaxy use to average 40-45MPG but this maybe due to less revs needed most of the time. After a month of owning the C4 we part exchanged it for a Seat Alhambra 1.9td which is a totally different car in quality and refinement. If you are thinking about one of these C4s we recomend you test drive one for a week if you can, as there not in the same league as VW etc.

andy shackleton, August 25th 2008

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr

I have owned the car for 2 months and have no complaints. There is plenty of room for the family, plus two extra seats that fold flat into the floor of the boot when not in use. The boot is huge with the third row seats folded flat, and van-like if you fold the second row seats flat too. The C4 Grand Picasso looks great on the outside. I especially like the extended Citroen emblem at the front the the lights at the back. Iron grey is the colour to go for. On paper the 1.6L diesel engine sounds like it would struggle with such a big car but it does not. Buckets full of torque ensure that it can hold its own and it never feels out of its depth. At 50mpg it's the engine to go for if economy is top of your list. I chose the manual gearbox, not the flappy paddle semi-automatic, and am pleased that I did. Less to go wrong and it gives you more control. You lose the cooler compartment in the centre though to make room for the gear lever and box. The interior is stylish and practical. The central display is a good idea as it gives the driver fantastic visibility. Handling is OK for a big car. The suspension can be load at times and it probably can't compete with the S-MAX on that front but it's something I can live with. So far, so good.

Kai Hilton-Jones, August 3rd 2008

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr

I'm amazed so many find this car acceptable, perhaps Citroen's PR company is at work covertly? I have had a 2.0 HDi VTR+ EGS on an extended trial and it is the lamest piece of junk I've driven since my father in law's 1980s Renault. Apart from having to return to the dealer four times in the first two days with faults, one serious with the engine. The barge-like handling, woeful performance, build quality from hell, and blancmange like steering are even eclipsed by the worst gearbox I have ever used in any vehicle ever. The only plus point I could say is the its comfortable in a 1970s pub lounge kind of way. After testing numerous others, for us, the ONLY one that ticks all the boxes is the Ford S-MAX.

Z Ozzer, July 26th 2008

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr EGS

Had the car since January. It's fair to say that it isn't the most sporting drive I've ever experienced but as long as you accept that (and the trade-off is a very comfortable ride) and adopt a more relaxed driving style then you won't be disappointed. As I don't do massive mileage I opted for the petrol 1.8 which I have found to be smooth and quiet although it does lack torque and can sometimes be slow to respond for overtaking if left in top gear. I like the exterior styling which really stands out from the MPV crowd but I am an even bigger fan of the interior. This is easily the best MPV interior out there - there are hours of fun to be had discovering the various seat folding permutations! I regularly have 6 people in the car in complete comfort. With all the seats folded I even managed to get the remains of an 8x4 garden shed to the local tip. I also opted for the Comfort Plus pack which is a good value addition to the VTR+'s otherwise generous spec. Nothing has yet fallen off or broken and the cabin seems to be standing up ok to the ravages of 2 children under 4. Overall, very happy and I would definately recommend this car for anyone's MPV test drive shortlist

Neil May, Norfolk, July 15th 2008

i 16V VTR Plus 5dr

i have owned the car for about a month now and covered 1200 miles both around town and motorway and what a car. it has done everything asked of it with ease,the c4 outclasses all the other 7 seaters my wife and i tested with so much standard equipment and fantastic looks.i recomend anyone looking for a 7 seater to put the c4 on the list

phil sherriff, west midlands, July 2nd 2008

i 16V VTR Plus 5dr

This is a fantastic car to own and drive, and I would recommend it to anyone. The EGS changes/start away from rest are really smooth once you get used to them. However, after six months of fault-free running, the EGS won't engage gear. It's been sitting gathering dirt at the dealers for nigh on six weeks and they can't get the parts to fix it (EGS controller). The dealer has been great, but can't get a straight answer from Citroen. Citroen Customer Services make all the right noises, but there's still no spare part and no timesacale. I still want the car back - but if you're thinking of buying one, ask some pointed questions about parts availability!

Michael Gates, Kent, June 23rd 2008

HDi 16V Exclusive 5dr EGS

I have had the car for exactly a year and WHAT A CAR! The scenic we had previously would have been in and out of the garage several times by now(which it did) but so far the picasso has had no problems, and the only time its ever gone back to the garage is for servicing. The car has been on 4 hour journeys to east devon several times a year, and provides an exceptionally comfy and quiet journey all the way. It has much more room than the scenic. There are 3 kids in the back one with a wide child seat, and there are never any complaints. As for its rivals, well... My god, how boring are all the others. I hate the zafira (dull as ditch water motoring), which may have a 'sportier' drive (apparently) but for most medium sized mpv buyers, isn't exactly the top priority, and this is something they could have taken into account. The S-Max only looks really nice in top spec form, where you get the focus st like alloy wheels which really enhance the look of the car. But if you go for the Citroen, then you can afford the top spec and shell out for the optional 19" alloys for maybe less. The EGS box... I use it in automatic, its excellent for gentle smooth driving, however if you want to thrash this motor, either use the paddles, or downgrade to the stick and clutch... Anyway, sorry for rambling on, but this is a fine car. P.S thanks to those bristol street citroen, Gary, who made everything run smootly and sorts all your problems out, They are simply amazing...

Sam Ellis, Nottinghamshire, June 22nd 2008

HDi 16V VTR Plus 5dr

I HAVE MY C4PICASSO FOR 6 MONTH VERY DISAPPOINT THE CAR BEEN BACK TO THE GARAGE 3 TIMES STILL GOT THE FAULT WINDRUSH ALSO WATER IN THE WELL. CITROEN NOT VERY HELPFULL.HAS ANYBODY HAD THE SAME FAULT.

robert paterson, selkirksire, June 7th 2008