Ford Fiesta Hatchback (95 - 02) Owner reviews

good car to drive,and handles the road well.On average got 61mpg,thats non motorway driving which is good.The fiesta is an ok car to own but I think the interior lets it down,a bit boring in this day and age.owned the car for two years with out any problems.If you want an average car this is it,especially for the mpg.if you want something stylish and quick,this is not the car for you!

tony blyth, norfolk, March 28th 2015

TDCi Zetec 5dr

I got this car after loosing my second car after only 73 hours to a bad car crash. It's worth mentioning my old car was silver, and I knew I didn't want another silver one. The sales people at ford were the only sales people in over fifteen car sales places who didn't try to tell me I was being stupid by refusing to buy a silver car. Mine is bright yellow. Okay, so whatcar says the engine is noisy. Yes. It's a diesel, they are noisy engines. Not so noisy it's uncomfortable to drive though! It's not a heavy car at all, picks up speed quickly, handles well. I honestly couldn't fault it. Running costs are absolutely fantastic! My model happens to be tax exempt, which is awesome! It's such a comfortable car, a nice size. And after a bad car crash, all the safety features it comes with make me feel safe driving this car, which is a really big deal! Honestly I love it!

Louise Harris, March 23rd 2015

TDCi Titanium ECOnetic 5dr

I have returned, having posted about my Fiesta Titanium X. Well I bought this month a new Fiesta Titanium X. It is Panther Black has big wheels, leather and is full of many options. The car handles well of course and the economy remains the same (51/52 average sure you get more if you travel motorways at 40 mph! Who does that?) but the build quality appears even finer, with the piano gloss black and the centre armrest gives further quality to the interior. The doors' handles and arm rests are better positioned I feel. The car is stunning in 3 door version, it boats an appearance pack which includes side skirts and ST boot spoiler. The engine is NOT harsh or clattery still can't understand why WHATCAR? has a downer on this engine? It gives economy and low car tax. The car handles as well as ever and the front grill enhances the 'look' of the car even further than before. I am clearly a fan of this little mover! I can't imagine a replacement for this as it seems to tick all the boxes! The keyless system is ingenious and the SATNAV functions simply along with the bluetooth phone. It all makes for an effortless, luxury drive. ...pity that the main dealer supplier has been awful!

Mark Ouzman, Herts, January 16th 2015

TDCi Titanium X 3dr

The fiestas strong points are its handling and how it drives, for a small car it is fun and responsive and most the time feels secure, sometimes in the wet on roundabouts it can become a little twitchy, with a 1.25 ltr engine it's surprisingly nippy however keeping up on motorways in the fast lane would require a gear change, this car isn't the best for long distance motorway journeys as the road noise at higher speeds can be intrusive. The seats offer reasonable support and comfort, the car can seat 5 adults in reasonable comfort and the boot is of adequate size. The speakers offer good sound quality and a good level of volume. The main issues with this car being the interior and exterior build quality, the plastics feel very low budget and flimsy, parts of the interior had fallen off and snapped, the fuel gauge is digital and displays bars for fuel which can be misleading as to how much fuel is in the tank. The spec of the finesse is very basic and although has good safety features it offers little else. I would avoid the finesse and look for zetec or ghia models as this will include features such as electric windows, and A/C. Overall the fiesta finesse isn't the best model to go for due to lack of basic equipment and cheap plastic materials, however offers safe simple trouble free motoring with the only issue experienced being the thermostat to fail.

Aaron Hughes, January 8th 2015

5 Finesse 5dr

Purchased my 54 plate Fiesta Flame just over a year ago as my first car and couldn't be happier with it! Had 55k on the clock and I've now taken that up to 65k; hasn't skipped a beat! For someone like myself it is the ideal car to own (under 25); 3dr version gives it a sporty edge, decent mpg, cheap insurance and renowned reliability. It steamrolls over the competition! (corsa, clio, 206 etc). Parts & servicing are reasonable. I had the water pump replaced with the cambelt as a pre-caution as I heard they were a weak spot on the car. The drive straps on the clutch decided to shear at 58k so a new clutch was fitted. Not really an issue as they can go at any time. And a leaky drive shaft seal, but I consider these very minor things. I'm 6" with quite long legs, but I've found the driving position relatively comfortable after finite adjustments. I use it mostly to drive to work along A roads and it powers along nicely through the gears and even has enough in reserve to do a few overtakes when required. It handles well being a hatch, but will under-steer when pushed hard. The exterior/interior styling is more than adequate, but lacks the modern feel and gadgets of the facelift model (Mk6.5). The cabin does emit the odd noise now and again. Take it over 75/80 mph and the windscreen wipers make an annoying buzz, even after fitting aero blades. All things considered, a great all-rounder! There's a reason why the 2 best selling cars in the UK are Fords!

Josh Wilkes, December 12th 2014

Zetec 5dr

This was my second car and after saving for over a year I was dramatically disappointed to say the least. Before this car I had a petrol 1.1 saxo and this fiesta mad it feel like a rocket.I was perhaps ignorant in the fact the 1.6 diesel engine isnt as fast as I thought it would be and as a result will be sticking to petrols from now on. The only upside to the car would have to be running costs and looks. Although it drives like a slug and is as noisy as an elephant on steroids it is admittedly a very good looking car and I cant argue with the running costs as it would seem the tank is never ending. Unfortunately for this car I am a man of performance and this car simply didnt live up to my expectations.

Matt Hamill, Devon, October 29th 2014

TDCi Zetec S 3dr

I was given one as a courtesy car for three weeks. Once I got used to it, I really liked it. Very comfortable cabin, excellent ergonomics, handling far better than I expected. This is an extremely clever car. Downsides - unfair to compare with Mondeo 2.2, but it is a bit gutless! A bigger engine might be nice.

Andrew Craig-Bennett, Suffolk, October 15th 2014

5 82 Style 5dr

I have owned a second hand Ford Fiesta Zetec 2012 1.25 82PS 3dr for a month now, and find the interior quite spacious for front seat passengers. Access to the rear seats is awkward with the limited range of movement for the front seats, and is a bit cramped for adults in the back and would be difficult to put a child in a car seat back there. The boot is extremely spacious for the size of the car, and I could fit at least 3 large cases for a family holiday in there. The stereo system is nice, and has USB, Aux, BT, Radio and CD inputs giving the driver a wide choice of audio for their journey, but the sound could do with being a little sharper and the adjustment range on the volume has rather large jumps. I get a pretty constant 40 MPG for trips around town, and it is only on a longer run (over 30 miles or so), that I notice any increase in my MPG, the highest I have got is 49. Given that the car has an in-built guide to how economical your driving is based on anticipation, gear changing and speed, I would have expected a higher economy from the car. The range computer is also of little use because of this as I will often find my remaining miles remain constant for about 30 miles once I have got going, having dropped by 2-3x the distance travelled for the first 10 miles or so. Average fuel cost so far has been just over 15p/mile from supermarket pumps about Β£1.30/l. Not enough power for a motorway commuter, especially when overtaking at speed or getting up to cruising sp

Andrew Gates, Derbyshire, August 10th 2014

5 82 Zetec 3dr

I am the proud owner of a 2009 1.6 Titanium Fiesta, which I have owned for over a year. I was attracted to this specific model thanks to the wealth of extras (aka gadgets) associated with top model cars. Cruise, A/C, electric folding wing mirrors and an auto-dimming rear view mirror to name but a few. I'm pleased to say, 5 years in, everything still works as it should! Onto the best part, out on the road the Fiesta is fantastic to drive. The 1.6 petrol is responsive, powerful and refined. I average 41.5 mpg! The steering is tight, perfectly weighted with plenty of 'feel'. Experienced drivers will understand where I'm coming from. Moving on to the cabin. The stereo is superb, the seats are ideally suited for long journeys, with extra lumbar adjustment for the driver. Road noise is a minimum, admittedly the low profile tyres don't help, the tyre rumble is easily drowned by the stereo. If pushed to find fault, on my vehicle the foot brake has excess travel. I've had the system bled which reduces travel, until a few months later, when it seems to need bleeding/tightening again. I can live with this, the brakes are strong when applied, perhaps I'm being too picky. On this note, a Ford dealer told me it was a characteristic of the car... who knows! Overall, I would totally recommend buying one, and would replace mine with another without a second thought.

David Garwood, August 6th 2014

Titanium 5dr

My partner had the Econetic varient of the Fiesta (2012 model) for 6 months as a company car, and it was fantastic. Do not be fooled - it might be a small car (a city car?) but we found this car great on the motorway! We had to drive to a wedding in Edinburgh and between us we both enjoyed the drive (considering my lady doesn't like motorway driving!). I will say that the car is expensive to buy new, and the diesels do also seem expensive second hand (I actually thought about upgrading my own car to one of these when she let it go), but it is worth it. Such a lovely car - especially if you are looking for something long term. Fits 4 adults in comfort, and boot is a reasonable size. Actually preferred this car to the larger Focus - found it more practical and more comfortable. It's very refined. The only thing I hate about the car is the interior - the dash is a bit too in-your-face for my liking (I much prefer German conservative styling, like in the Polo/Golf, etc).

Tom Bousfield, Essex, August 4th 2014

TDCi [95] Titanium ECOnetic 5dr

Rattle, squeak, rattle thats what my Fiesta (2013 63 plate, zetec s) does from A pillar to C pillar and the tail gate rattles as well, suspension has started squeaking now, be careful of the piano black plastic it looks nice but boy does that scratch easily even though I'm careful with it, engine's not bad for what it is but its not perfect and I'm sure mine's only got 100ps instead of 125ps, handles ok but the tyres are rubbish in the wet ( Continentals ) all the gadgets seem to work ok and fuel economy is good ( avg 57 mpg) not sure why i bought this car, should've bought something from the VAG group, better build i'm sure. still its cheap to insure, zero road tax and mine does appear to be good on fuel. just wished Ford could build a car that didn't rattle or squeak, oh well i guess its back to the dealers to see if they can be bothered to do anything to stop the rattles for the umpteenth time instead of putting their muddy boots everywhere.

paul morris, May 25th 2014

EcoBoost 125 Zetec S 3dr

A truly remarkable car, which I ordered with a few options to add to the Titanium trim spec., such as leather seats (heated front), and a city pack with reversing sensors. For the size the 1-litre, 3-cylinder engine is one of the sweetest little cars I have ever driven. (My current job is as an 'Executive Driver', delivering cars across the whole of the UK). No other small car comes close for offering a pleasing driving experience. It is quiet and refined with a surprising turn of pace, with a 'thrum' under acceleration that makes it sound a little sporty. Some like it, some do not, but for me it is more than acceptable in view of the car experience overall. After driving several of the new style Fiesta, the leather seats also make all the difference too. They offer a lot more comfort and support, especially on longer journeys, and for anyone looking at buying such a car, they should give serious consideration to this option. My average is around the 48mpg mark for mixed driving, but on a run between Doncaster and Lincoln on the roads via Gainsborough, the trip showed 68mpg for the single journey, which few I think would complain about. Thoroughly recommended.

Mike Hayden, South Yorkshire, May 6th 2014

Zetec 3dr

I purchased this car at the beginning of March 2013 - so have now been driving it for a little over a year. Positives: Comfortable and fun to drive, can be a bit shaky in bad weather but handles better than other small cars I've driven in bad weather. Free road tax!!! Very cheap insurance Looks good Everything is easy to use. Boot is a great size for the type of car this is. Negatives: Such as another review previously, I have been disappointed in the MPG. Although I primarily use my car for driving around town, I only average about 38mpg, which is significantly lower than what the MPG was advertised as. HOWEVER, saying that, I have spent some time really watching my driving and the mpg was improving quite rapidly. I do think if I drove more 'economically', then I would get a much better result. The problem here is that it's far too easy to have a heavy right foot. I find sometimes the voice commands don't work and ocassionally doesn't pick up my voice or understand what I've said. (I speak very clearly) All in all, I love my car and did find it great value for money (got mine brand new for Β£13K after a few weeks haggling!). The free road tax is a relief as it's one less thing to worry about each year and I was able to get my insurance (25 year old with 5 years no claims) for Β£220 fully comp. If you are someone who is looking for an extremely economical car - this car is probably not for you.

Andrea Ward, March 25th 2014

EcoBoost 125 Titanium 3dr

i bought a brand new car for the 1st time ever, and chose the new model Ford Fiesta 5dr Style 1.25. On the road and in the cabin it is fantastic ! it handles the corners really well. I am trying to work out how the car is doing on its mileage, and so far i think is less than what i was getting with my previous car, a Nissan Note. When i approached the ford dealer, i had specifically asked to see prices and deals on the Eco Boost T, and the dealer went onto sell me the style. My advice is do you research 1st, and check out other similar models, and then when presented with other options you will know whether they are actually good deals. The mileage was a key reason for me buying this car and i am disappointed.

Denise Roberts, Argyll, March 15th 2014

5 Style 5dr

I bought my Fiesta Ecoboost 125 in September and have been enjoying driving it. I bought it however, expecting to get a really competitive mpg as advertised but alas it has been and remains a really poor performer in this sense. I am only getting 34.5 mpg! I was getting 40mpg with my old Renault Megane Coupe with its 1600 engine. I remain extremely disappointed with this car as it is hard not to think about the poor mpg even though as I have said it drives well.

Freya Purdue, Herts, February 3rd 2014

EcoBoost 125 Titanium 5dr

I previously owned a 2009 fiesta 1.6 Zetec sport and traded it in for a 2013 new shape model 1.25 Zetec. The car I bought was an ex- demo model in the new Candy Blue but it did have all the factory fitted spoiler kit on so gives it a much more of a sporty look. Inside is lovely and the driving position is excellent with comfortable seats and of course my new car not being a sport version was much easier to get in and out of small spaces as the Zetec Sport had lower suspension which made the turning circle on this model awful. Now to the engine - the 1.25 is totally under powered and my new car is known as the gutless wonder- gutless because there is just no power to pull away and wonder because it is apart from the engine a wonderful, brilliant car to own and drive. Now it maybe that I have to learn all over agin how to drive it to get the best out of this engine having gone from 1.6 to a 1.25 on the same car but come on Ford for a car of this size if you are going to put 1.25 engine in I really think you need to make it a small petrol turbo engine like they have done with the new Renault Clio which I nearly purchased but decided that the Ford Fiesta was much better value car.

Denise Parsons, Bedfordshire, February 1st 2014

5 Studio 5dr

Owned the fiesta (2009) since the end of August after downsizing from an Astra. A joy to drive, lower running cost have already helped. Trip computer reading a steady 42.1 mpg, and improving every week, already had 23K when purchased. Surprisingly roomy enough for a family of four and still nippy fully loaded so tends to get used more than the family MPV at present.

Mark Yeats, Wiltshire, November 18th 2013

Titanium 5dr

This is an update from my review a few weeks ago. To sum up I bought the car brand new 1st October 2013. In my previous review I complained of a 'lag' when on a slight incline pulling off or reversing. My cars been back to Ford who in fairness recognised the issue straight away. What I wasn't aware of or told is that the menu settings that owners can adjust are default set to include 'hill assist' which is basically the car is stopped from rolling forward or backwards when its on even a slight incline. This accounts for why when on an incline for a fraction of a second it was though the brakes were stuck on. The garage showed me how to turn off 'hill assist' and the various other settings I hadn't been aware of and sure enough problem solved. Pity the sales person hadn't advised me of this setting or the other settings owners can turn on / off. The other issue I mentioned weeks ago was economy. The garage said what mpg Ford claim in the brochure verses real life is wildly different. Ive just ticked over to 1000 miles from new and the average mpg over the 1000 miles is 42.8mpg which is a far cry from 68.8mpg Ford claim for the type of driving involved. In summary I love the car but due to the mpg Ive left my review at 3 out of 5.

ANDREW WALLACE, November 13th 2013

5 Studio 5dr

great little car very smooth to drive on all roads very punchy engine you cant believe this car as a one ltr engine feels like it as a much bigger engine at the moment av mpg is 44 cant get any where near the ford figures no matter how hard i try, the car is very well equipped very good sony dab radio plus zero road tax all in all a very good car dont be put off by the small engine size drive one and you will amazed how it goes the best small hatchback on the road by a mile

terry rigby, greater manchester, October 28th 2013

EcoBoost 125 Titanium 3dr

I bought my Zetec S 1.0 / 125bhp brand new 1st October 2013. I love the look of the car and the driving position and cabin are great. Rather than average 67mpg however, Im not even getting 40mpg despite driving out of town on 15 mile runs at sedate speeds in a smooth manner. I expected Fords mpg to be a little off as they always are out on real roads etc but over 40% out! If I pushed the car I shudder to think what average mpg it would return. Im not impressed. I knew having three cylinders it wouldn't be as smooth as a regular engine but in traffic it reminds me of driving an old car that was only firing on three cylinders. This rumble really isnt nice. Under 1500 rpm the engines not happy at all. In the little bit of traffic Ive experienced Ive found its better to drive up to 15 mph in first gear rather than change up to second because the rpm is too low for second. The biggest niggle Ive experienced is there is a 1-2 second lag with the clutch pedal at times in particular if you reverse. In essence after taking your foot off the clutch there's a 1-2 second lag before the clutch disengages and the car moves. When reversing not only this ever more noticeable but when the clutch does disengage there's a slight knocking noise from the engine compartment and the car jerks backwards. Ive had many new cars and this one is by far the only one that from the outset Ive thought about returning. My cars now travelled 289 miles from new. Ive booked it into the Ford garage I bought it.

ANDREW WALLACE, October 16th 2013