Zetec Navigator 5dr

Seats are comfy and a good driving position. Good vision and plenty of room inside. Useful estate car. Very messy controls both on the steering wheel, the column and the centre console. By far the worst thing about this 1.6 ltr 2014 estate is its fuel consumption. After 3300 miles the best it can average is 34 MPG. Its under powered. Under geared ( 6 speed auto) At 70 MPH the engine is revving at 3000 RPM. Due to lack of power its foreever changing up and down the box. For a modern car this is unnaceptable. My own 3.5 Ltr Mercedes auto will return 29 MPG average. Ford and What Car show 47 mpg which is impossible to reach even on a steady motorway run of a 300 miles Its been back to the main dealer who supplied it who state they cannot find any faults. I cant recommend this car if your looking for economy

John Ben, July 26th 2014

EcoBoost Titanium X 5dr

Just brilliant, had a Volvo V50 before this, bought the Volvo on its reliability badge but it was so poor, didn't even drive car for the first 4 monte due to breakdowns. When the 3rd gearbox failed traded it in for the Focus. What a fabulious car, so well behaved, so well mannered and feels like an 1800 engine. Just such a delight to drive, controls are so light and positive. Seats so comftable. Just can't praise it enough, complete opposite from Volvo (whose dealer couldn't care less about my problems). By the way my local Ford dealer is so so helpful to. Nothing is too much trouble.

John Clark, Herts, January 21st 2014

TDCi Titanium 5dr [110]

I have had this as a company car for the last three years. It's a comfortable car that handles very nicely. It does not have a good quality feel to it, the interior is a bit cheap feeling, but it has never let me down. It is no rocket ship, but goes ok once it is up a running, but off the line it's takes some winding up. As an estate it is very practical, with a good shaped boot. Fuel economy suffers a lot in the winter if it's cold and you are using the heated seats or windscreen. Average mpg is mid fifties, but does drop to 50 mpg during the winter. The paint quality is poor, it's been in twice under warranty as the paint flaked and peeled off the sills and from the bumper. I never thought I would like a ford, but it's a nice car that does everything you need, it's not very exciting but as a family car it's great. I much preferred the Octavia I had before though.

Stuart Gamble, Shropshire, December 29th 2013

TDCi 115 Titanium 5dr

Well what can I say? I went looking for a Focus for a family friend and bought one myself. I was a fan of the new shape when I saw it at the Geneva motorshow 2 years ago. I didn't think I would be buying one and I kind of forgot about it altogether until I saw one. Thing is, its not a big car like my old A6 Avant but its built really well, chuckable handling, fabulous performance given the excellent economy and the space is terrific. So far so good, I have done 4k in 3 months over Yorkshire wolds and it is fabulous to drive and returning brilliant economy. My 2.0 BMW One Series Coupe gets a good 44mpg but this is better. Of course not as quick but in real world use its marginal. Comfort is sublime - easily the best riding car I have owned. Bluetooth and Ipod controls are excellent, the standard of fit and fitment is the match of BMW but nothing beats an Audi. I love the looks and (having had a snot green Kia Soul) appreciate its anonymity even though it has the appearance pack and 18" wheels. The plus points are the handling, comfort and stereo. Downsides are the large wheels which create a terrible steering lock my occasional mis-selection of 5th instead of 3rd gear! The outlet I bought the car from were very poor - I won't be using them to service it. Ford in Scarborough are excellent - picking the car up from work and returning it when its finished. So far so good - will post more later on in its life... For: Looks, handling, economy; Against: Steering lo

Steve Milsom, East Riding Of Yorkshire, July 3rd 2013

TDCi LX 5dr [Euro 4]

I have had this vehicle for just over 12 months. It has never let me down once and I have had no faults. The driving experience is not the best as the front end of the car can get away from you in the wet at low speeds. I travel up and down the motorway every day and I get roughly 44mpg. Having driven the previous shape focus estate I would say in my opinion this model is not as good.

michael benson, staffordshire, January 18th 2009

TDCi Titanium 5dr

Excellent allrounder! I bought this car a couple of months ago. I need an estate car for my job, and I travel about 35k miles per year. The load-carrying capacity of the Focus Estate is very good for a car of this size. The drive and handling are excellent, although a little on the firm side for my tastes. The engine is powerful and economical.

Tony Yates, East Riding of Yorkshire, January 4th 2009

Zetec 5dr

I bought this car in April and am up to 9,000 miles. The ride quality and comfort is very good. Matching the 1.6 engine with an automatic box is inevitably something of a compromise as mid range acceleration is sluggish. However once its on the move it soaks up the miles very well and economy is reasonable provided you avoid too much in town driving. As with my review on the 2.0 TDCI with powershift gearbox I rate the Focus Estate as a very sound investment even though they are not as cheap as rivals.

Allen Harris, Berkshire, November 29th 2008

TDCi Zetec 5dr [110] [DPF] PowerShift

I had to wait 5 months for delivery of this car due to demand for diesel vehicles but it was well worth it. I have a 1.6 petrol version of the same car so its good to compare them. The powershift gearbox changes gear very smoothly, the ride quality is excellent and its a very comfortable vehicle. I am also pleased with the leg room in the rear of the car. The car is not cheap compared to rivals but on a three/four year view I rate this as a very sound investment.

Allen Harris, Berkshire, November 29th 2008

TDCi Titanium 5dr [Euro 4]

I looked forward to the delivery of my new focus 1.8Tdci. Now having owned the car for 5 months I want rid of it, the turbo lag is dangerous and depressing. I can't believe that Ford still produce a Cast Iron engine, give it all the electronic wizzardry and shiny bits but it still has less go than a trabant ! The fuel consumption is shocking 26-27mpg, the build quality seems ok and the car looks as good as it's larger cousin. At least it seems reliable and is comfortable.

Adam Howes, Hampshire, October 8th 2008

TDCi Zetec 5dr

The drive, roadholding, and ,as far as I can tell,economy are all very similar.The overall handling and braking are better but the road noise is more intrusive. So o/k so far. The cabin is very hard and not as comfortable. The console is much bigger and takes up space.The armrests are also now bigger for some reason and not well thought out.The rear armrests have a short flat section to rest on but you can't do this because the rest rises up to be used as a door handle.The front rests are bulky making it difficult to get stuff out of the pocket underneath.Now the worst part is that the recess for the door handle slopes into the car.This encourages you hand to slip off it.So what you may say but this action can easily break fingernails which is not much of a problem for me but the wife no no. It comes back to this hard plastic used extensively in th ecabin.I also notice it when my legs rest against it especially on the right where I have not been able to find an adjustment that allows my leg to miss the enormous arm rest lower section.This rockhard plastic also marks very easily so will look scruffy in tim Just one more point which is that when I looked at the brochure in the dealers it showed that there are scuff plates on the Zetec models.The car did not have these and when I asked about this the salesman just pointed me to the small print which says that Ford can do what they want with regard to specs.

Mike Dorking, West Yorkshire, July 4th 2008

Style 5dr

The vehicle was registered on 1st April and will soon be due for its 1500 ile service. The service manual gives a average fuel consumption of 37.8 mpg (automatic) but we can only manage 27.3mpg. With rising fuel costs and a limited income unless the garage can fix the problem - they will have to keep the vehicle as it is totally unsustainable for our finances.

Richard Banks, Norfolk, June 21st 2008

TDCi Titanium 5dr [110] [DPF]

Update on Previous rant over late delivery........I've had the car 7 months and covered 24k. It had a very hard act to follow....Audi A4 Avant which as regards quality of build and interior materials was in another league. My biggest gripes are road noise and turbo lag when setting off.......you want a quick getaway you gotta keep the revs up......had to utter (scream!!) some choice words when some prat nipped in front of me whilst setting off in queuing traffic the other day. Having said that, I got it for economy (48mpg and only 13% personal co car tax) and practicality (much bigger load carrying capacity than the Audi) So to sum up, it's a work horse and it does it's job admirably........but I wouldn't entertain it for purely personal use. I suppose you could call it a posh van really.

Ian McIntyre, May 24th 2008

TDCi Zetec 5dr [Euro 4] [Climate Pack]

There's too much turbo lag, the car is not as economical as it should be, as well as too much road noise and a strange damp smell from the air-con once it's turned off. Otherwise, though, it's a very competent car to drive. I will choose the 1.6 Duratec diesel next time, because it's a much smoother engine without the lag of the 1.8.

Phil Greenland, cheshire, May 15th 2008

TDi CL 5dr

I owned a 1.8 TDDi estate purchased at two-and-a-half years old with 40,000 miles on a 51-plate. Until now, it has been the most reliable car I have ever had - this is the base model, with no air-con or any nice toys, but I could not fault it. I only parted with it when it had clocked 100,000 miles and the only things I had to do was routine maintenance - tyres, brakes and so on. I replaced it for a Renault Scenic and I hope it will be a good a car as the Focus. I would have another Focus.

m davies, April 26th 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr [Euro 4]

Bought my 1.8 TDCi Ghia Estate from new and been pretty pleased with it. Cruise control is great and the seats are really comfortable. Radio (Sony) has a superb sound. Boot is spacious. Approx 42mpg around town Problems I’ve had, for some strange reason they’ve done away with the boot release inside the car you can only open it with the remote key. One day couldn’t open the boot had take it back to the dealer they had to climb inside remove rear boot panel to fix it. Took it back rear door intermittent sometimes wouldn’t close properly, dealer replaced boot switch, perfect now. The worrying fault I had pulled off the drive went to drive away steering locked warning on instruments STEERING FAILURE stopped turn engine off re started steering fine. Back to dealer they found electrical fault on engine management.

John McNaughton, West Midlands, March 23rd 2008

Ghia 5dr

I got the Focus to replace a written off RS2000. The Focus is very refined and practical , although not our main car, and the performance economy is good. With climate , esp , fuel computer , multi-cd the car has a great level of equipment. However to drive it is sublime as sporty as my RS Escort yet comfortable with parents on board , yes starter motor went but fixed the next day by dealer. A ground braking car

Paul Colmer, Essex, January 7th 2008

LX 5dr

A fantastic car to drive, even better than the previous version of the Focus estate. Excellent legroom up front for someone who's 6'5", even though there's not much behind me. I have an extremely heavy right foot and regularly get 26-28mpg even though this engine is supposed to get around 40-odd mpg, very vocul in the upper revs. Excellent handling even at speeds round corners. Problems are that the windows attract more road dust that the previous model meaning the washer fluid can be gone (all 3+litres of it) on a long distance drive and that the drivers seat squeaks which is partially my fault for enjoying it so immensely. Overall a fantastic car with a big boot too!

Cameron Douglas, West Yorkshire, December 26th 2007

Zetec 5dr

We owned this high milage estate for 4 years replacing a cavalier.It had 100k when we bought it and 135k when we sold it. We had a few electrical niggles like speedo fault and radiator fan never kicked in (never overheated though). The engine pinked when hot and never filled me with confidence. Bodywork started to rust here and there which was more typical with older Fords and was dissapointing. On a plus it was lovely to drive and returned good fuel economy. I have replaced it with a '04'peugeot 406 diesel and I have to say it feels a lot more of a car than the focus although drive isnt as rewarding.

Stephen Taylor, West Yorks, December 22nd 2007

TDCi Ghia 5dr

I love this car and hate it in equal measure. I bought an 03 estate in October 2006 with 37k miles and had nine months of trouble-free motoring. It's a cracking car to drive, responsive, nippy and frugal - perfect. Then the fuel injection pump went and it took the local main Ford dealer nearly a month and Β£1,100 to fix. I was definitely NOT impressed with their shoddy customer service. The local garage that I bought the car off and dealt with initally could not have been more helpful, however. Now, just four months later the car is refusing to start and will have to be plugged back into the main dealer's computer - and I'm worried it's going to be another costly repair. So, once it's fixed I am sorely tempted to sell on, I can't trust the car anymore. The car is great when it runs though!

Sian Powell, December 21st 2007

Zetec ESP 5dr

Having previously owned a 2.0 ghia hatch for three years, I bought the estate three years ago, covering 53,000 miles in this time with no problems. Zetec is lacking a bit in equipment levels but really easy and cheap to upgrade if you want to. The handling is as good as the hatch, with the added bonus of good luggage capacity. I've had no real problems except both vehicles (hatch and estate) have chewed tyres and needed four wheel alignment doing with the added extra cost of replacing tyres. Other than that, it's an excellent vehicle which I'm reluctant to change. It could be a bit thirsty if your used to owning a diesel version.

colin thomson, notts, December 19th 2007