TDCi Titanium X Sport 5dr

An update to my earlier review, after 40K miles. Nothing has gone wrong; it is still huge fun to drive. The "fun factor" accounts for the rather disappointing fuel consumption of 39mpg. The downside is, of course, the tyres... and you do really have to be careful with those huge ally wheels.

Andrew Craig-Bennett, Suffolk, October 15th 2014

TDCi Titanium X Sport 5dr

This is my third Mondeo Estate in a row, and it is by far the best. Compared with the 2 litre, it has noticeably more power, and the wide tyres allow it to corner far better than might be expected of an estate car. Curiously, the tyre wear does not seem worse than on the two litre, although the tyres do cost and arm and a leg (the only downside to this car that I have discovered, so far...) You never run out of space with a Mondeo Estate, it is excellent at pulling a trailer (in my case sailing dinghies) and you can do huge distances without getting tired. The Xenon headlights are excellent, as is the built in GPS and the sound system. The MPG would be better if it didn't bring out the boy racer in me! I do about 33,000 miles a year, mostly commuting.

Andrew Craig-Bennett, Suffolk, October 9th 2014

TDCi Titanium X 5dr

Had a 2.2 titanium x sport 163 Bhp , great car to drive however major problem with turbo on it , two leaks on turbo pipe , also excessive smoke from engine after being placed under pressure. Vehicle returned to garage as they couldn't find the fault . Happened at 29k.

Steven Anderson, Renfrewshire, August 11th 2013

TDCi Titanium X Sport 5dr

My third Mondeo estate, so clearly I am not an original thinker. This is just to say that the 2.2 litre diesel really transforms the car. Whether the 19" wheels are practical remains to be seen in terms of tyre wear and the risk of kerb scrapes - the ground clearance also needs a measure of respect. But as a car to cover a lot of motorway miles in, it is simply delightful. The touch screen satnav is by far the best that I have used, the Convers information display is clear and not distracting, the wide tyres give all the grip I am ever likely to need and you don't need to remember that you are driving an estate. Noise level in the cabin seems well down compared to my last car - a 2009 2 litre. Fuel consumption seems disappointing at the moment but I will know more presently.

Andrew Craig-Bennett, Suffolk, June 21st 2013

TDCi Titanium X 5dr

After four years and 115,000 miles - MPG will be between 45mpg if really caning it and 67mpg doing a stately 50 on a motorway. No maintenance issues with the car itself. The optional radar assisted cruise control is great when it works - which it very often does not. This has been a running battle for as long as I have had the car. Loads of room, nice to drive, surprisingly easy to park, good towing vehicle. This is my second and I'll probably get a third.

Andrew Craig-Bennett, Suffolk, April 19th 2013

TDCi 140 Titanium X 5dr

I have had my car for nearly 3 years, having bought it as an ex demo. It is one of the best cars I've had, nothing has gone wrong with it in 40000 miles of driving. The only regret I have is having the 18" alloys, they make for a hard ride and having driven a similar car with 17" alloys the ride was much better and little difference in handling, the bigger alloys look good but I'd stick with the smaller size. Economy is excellent for the size of car, with mixed driving I average around 48mpg. On long motorway journeys keeping to 70mph I can get around 54 - 55mpg which is excellent. I have to say that the economy has got better with age. Ford dealers can be mixed, but I use a small independant Ford dealer in Clitheroe who I find to be very good. Overall very pleased with this car and can thoroughly recommend it.

John Rostron, Lancashire, February 7th 2013

TDCi 163 Titanium 5dr

An update on the mpg on the Mondeo Estate Titanium 163ps. Come each summer, regularly drive in Europe, covering about 2,000 miles, fully laden car. Previous 2.2d managed just under 45mpg on this run, with this including bursts up to 130mph and regular 'cruising' at 100mph, where legal in Germany. This summer's holiday took in France and Spain, at all times sticking to the legal speed limit, mainly motorway driving. MPG of 41.9 is a pretty poor show (and not down to 'driving style', given comments above). Come on Ford, with the likes of BMW, Audi offering much more fuel efficient engines, isn't it about time you followed suit? p.s. I note that Ford seem to have recently tweeked their engine for the 2.0d, giving lower emissions of 129, compared to 139 on my November 2011 model. Will this make any difference to the mpg? Shame it is too late for me.

Simon Causton, November 27th 2011

T Titanium X 5dr

I have just traded in my Peugeot 407 2.0 Diesel for this 2.5T Petrol Mondeo Titanium X. When i bought the 407 i was made up with it, i said i would never go back to petrol now i can average 45mpg. I was keen to buy a Mondeo as soon as i saw the pictures, but thought i'd leave it 18 months and get a nearly new one. I wanted the new 2.2 Diesel model but was amazed at the price difference, when i could get a 2.5T petrol for Β£4000 less! I found a top spec 2.5T one at a Ford Dealer and only payed Β£12,500 which is less than half what it cost new, i do about 15,000 miles a year and don't really think the 2.2TDCi will ever pay for itself, as good as it is. I am really pleased with my decision, OK i have to fill up more but i have missed the sound of a good petrol engine, and at least now when i fill up i never have to smell the smell of diesel! I am now on 11,000 miles and everything is OK, i have no faults, and i love all the technology on my model. the sat nav is much better than the awful system Peugeot put in their 407s.

James Parry, Cheshire, January 28th 2009

TDCi Titanium 5dr Auto

A revolution for Ford - I was never a great fan in the past but the excellent driver comfort of this new Mondeo is unmistakable. I do long days with much motorway driving - 35,000 miles per year and the sheer comfort of this car means I get home after long days so very much less tired and stressed than in previous cars I've had. As a result the company gets more work per day out of me - bosses take note! The Automatic 6-speed gearbox is smooth and a definite contribution to my ability to drive for longer and stay fresher. First comments are always on its elegant design and how huge it looks. The estate is definitely better looking than the saloon or hatch models ! Only serious fault I can find is that on a motorway during heavy rain, the water comes off the windscreen and across the drivers side window blurring out the view in the side mirror. NOT GOOD Ford ! - The minor issue, and as someone else mentioned, the voice activated car phone bluetooth system is a complete waste of time - it doesnt hear you correctly even when using the Queens English, and you go round unsuccessfully in squirkles trying to get it to dial a number correctly. I consider it unsafe due to the frustration = distraction factor and dont use it. But for the vast majority of my day spent in a car, it is tough to find a better value-for-money drive than this car.

David Bailey, December 31st 2008

TDCi Titanium X 5dr

I bought mine pre-registered with 6 miles on from a Toyota/Ford dealer in black with sports pack and got a good saving vs new. I compared it against all the usual opposition and felt it was better in all departments than all of these cars (A6/Passat/vectra/accord etc) Now at 3500 miles I have to say it is superb to drive and to spend time in. Very quiet on the road handles great and a good engine with plenty of oomph for any overtaking/motorway work. The heated front screen is ace. My other car is a new style astra, the mondeo is a whole new step up and feels like a proper exec car In Estate form it is HUGE. It's like having your own white van!! Grumbles - 39-40 mpg (mixed motoring but doesn't really improve much with motorway journeys) is not what I was expecting and is quite poor IMHO I've had to stick some of the trim back down with superglue and it's been to the garage once to have a CPU update as it claimed the oil needed changing at 3500 (benfield also changed the oil just in case). I kind of expected a few grumbles like this when I bought it as it is a ford and i'm not as cross at these faults as I would have been in say an A6 although if they really want to challenge the German brands these sort of small faults need sorting. Overall I think it's a great car for an expanding family man like myself. I'm proud to be a mondeo man

Stuart Nuttall, Lancs, December 11th 2008

TDCi 115 Ghia 5dr

Bought as a service vehicle, it's been driven hard, mainly rigged as a fully loaded van. 130'000 miles in four years. I treat it badly, a typical rep-mobile, but it still drives like new. The Dual-Mass flywheel let go at 90,000, taking the starter with it. cΒ£1,000. The injectors and pump went at 118,000. cΒ£1,800. Alternator died at 124,000 cΒ£230 and thats it. It's still going like a train, mainly on Cruise Control. Never get less than 50mpg. 60mpg is normal when the weather's warm and 70mpg occasionally available on straight, flat motorways. I have, on very rare occasions, following filling up at motorway services, seen the mpg guage go right off the clock, at 99.9mpg, for many miles at a time. I have photos to prove it. The seats are a very tight fit in the cabin. If you drop money or pens down the side, they're gone for good. The doors and sun visors won't ever stay where I want them. They are designed to stop at just a few hard detents, none of which are ever in the right place. The latch pin, for the tailgate, sticks up enough to damage expensive goods when sliding them in or out of the back. Best covered with a blanket. Oh, and I wish the alloy wheels didn't have six spokes. Only odd numbers look right. But now I'm being picky! And that's it. This is the best car I've ever had, and I've had many, far more expensive ones, in the past

Stuart Yearsley, Greater Manchester, November 16th 2008

TDCi Titanium X 5dr

I bought this car after reading rave reviews and a promising test drive. I am pleased to say that I have not been disappointed. The ride quality and handling are fantastic for a car this size, on any type of road. The 2.0 diesel engine is very flexible and has commendable overtaking power. Inside it is very spacious and the heated seats great as the cold mornings draw in. The equipment list is great and the optional bluetooth a joy to use. Quibbles, I would like the optional parking sensors to show the proximity of the obstacles on the car icon in Convers+ multi-function screen, as they do on a BMW. I would also like more height adjustment on the drivers seat, and have it available on the passenger side too - why can't they do that on a top spec car? But these are small grumbles, it is an excellent car and if you buy one you will not be disappointed.

Derek Sprague, Wilts, November 16th 2008

TDCi Titanium X Sport 5dr

This is a really great car. Build quality in the first 10,000 miles is excellent although I am not so happy with the 'wobbly' Xenon headlights. The car is huge and takes everything I throw at it. It handles almost beyond belief and makes a great compromise between comfort and super roadholding. Touchscreen Nav and Bluetooth system is easy and works well. DVD Media system is great for the kids. The interior looks good, especially with red seat stitching. This car attracts lots of attention and questions .. three visits to the car wash and each time people want to know about it. Only thing I would really want .. a 3.0tdi engine with 4-wheel drive. This 2.2TD engine is very good but here on the Autobahn it just misses out against the bigger 3.0 tdi Audi / BMW's etc. It will hit 150 mph so it's not slow, it's just it needs longer to get there. So, all in all a great car and EASILY a match for the German Executive bunch. You will not be disappointed. Swallow your pride and give it a go ... the neighbours will not think bad of you.

Stephen Jones, September 15th 2008

Zetec 5dr

Overall, this is a reliable decent car. But why oh why oh why wont Ford admit that the rear brake calipers are prone to seizing and are not cheap to replace. Β£350 is not a nice repair bill to end up with just before you go on your summer holidays. Come on FORD,own up and help outthe guy who was told it's a reliable car. My service agent has replaced 3 this month. He now has it as a STOCK item.

Paul Tinker, Suffolk, July 27th 2008

TDCi Titanium X 5dr

Well, I've waited 3 months for the car to be delivered (new 2.2 twin turbo diesel) and during that time I've been wondering "will it be as good as I remember the test drive being?" Fear not, prospective buyers - it is BETTER than I expected! This car is a real pleasure to drive, is very well built, very roomy and, generally, well thought out. Oh, and it looks mighty fine too. But someone tell me: what on earth is the point of voice actuated controls? You can alter, for example, the heater fan speed or temperature etc. by voice control, but why go through three levels of verbal instruction (push button, then say "climate", wait for the beep then say "fan", wait for the question asking you which fan speed you want then say "three". Oh my God, lifes not long enough! Why not just jab the fan speed button up or down? Who do car manufacturers make these silly toys for? Presumably it's people with very easily impressed colleagues and friends! Other than the needless gadgets, my only other gripe is that the cruise control cancel button is on the "wrong" side of the steering wheel. They've put it on the left side, which - trust me on this - is not as convenient as having it on the right - assuming that you are in the habit of using indicators when you change lanes. You'll see what I mean when you drive it! In summary, a very, very impressive car, although Ford really have missed a trick in naming it Mondeo instead of something new.

Steve Drake, July 11th 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr

I was lucky to recieve a 2.0 TDCi Ghia Estate as a company car - and I have to say it's a fantastic drive and just eats up motorway miles, and very quiet with it. Good handling, slick gearbox and power when you need it. Comfortable driving position, huge, huge amount of space both front and back. Plenty of toys to play with - with all the buttons on the steering wheel it's like driving a Playstation! It is a step-change improvement on the previous model. Small niggles exist - like the LED telling you the rear elecric windows are locked being hidden beind the drivers door handle (perfectly visible on left had drive cars), rubbish Bluetooth phone system (company car drivers, get a car-kit fitted) and my daughter can't see out the rear windows because they are too high! More major issues are the failure of the power steering pump at 4k miles (Ford dealer hopless - no surprise there). A colleague has had his off the road for 8 weeks due to a failure of a door wiring loom. Ford very generously hired him a Zafira and then a Passat whilst waiting for the part. Other big issue is woeful fuel consumption. For a modern diesel car, 39mpg average is just not good enough for a 2 hour run at 75-80mph. This poor mpg has been echoed by colleagues with similar new Mondeos. Private owners, beware the cost of replacement tyres - Kwik fit list price for a new tyre approx Β£140.....

Chris Rogerson, June 3rd 2008

TDCi 130 Zetec 5dr [6]

My last two cars were an Audi A4 Cabriolet and and AAudi RS4. Now I have a black, 2.0tdci Mondeo Estate. Well, it's not all bad. This is really an unsung hero and does everything asked of it without complaint. It's huge inside so extremely practical - furniture, rubbish tip, bikes .. all no problem. The family have plenty of room although the girls would like to wear brown bags over their heads when turning up at school so no one sees them in a 'Mondeo'. Living in Germany this car has a hard life. I average 40mpg .. but there will be no Mondeo in the UK that is driven as hard as those out here. It has to be worked hard but will cruise at 130mph (210kmh) and given a good run hits around 235kmh / 145mph on the speedo (honestly!). If you have to slow on a hill it takes time to build up speed again. It can bit a little noisy at speed but at 75mph is really is first class. Interior trim rattles less than both Audi's and my old 'new shape' BMW 5 series did. Reliabilty is very good although brake discs seem a tad fragile (warping ?). It's so easy to keep clean inside (no leather etc) and considering the price it is very very good. It is no RS4 ... unfortunatly but it 'does what it says on the tin'. Have just ordered a new shape 2.2tdci Titanium S instead of an Audi or BMW. Good Quality for a great price.

Stephen Jones, June 1st 2008

TDCi Zetec 5dr

After 40,000 hard miles I am having concerns regarding the build quality of the car. There has been a serious problem with the brake servo and now one of the suspension units has failed resulting in a load knocking sound over bumps. As usual the local Ford dealer was totally incapable of solving the problem at the first/second/third attempt. The road noise which was a problem with the original tyres has been reduced by fitting Continental tyres, which have also contributed to improved fuel consumption of up to 50mpg. Space and practicality is first class and if we have a lot of equipment to carry, the Mondeo is used rather than the relatively tiny Audi A6 Avant

Nigel Goerick, Cleveland, May 22nd 2008

LX 5dr

Bought an '07 Edge Estate (1.8) last week, with 7500 miles on the clock for Β£9500. I thought this was a bargain for a big car that is less than a year old. The Edge version is based on the base model (LX) with added goodies - alloys, parking sensors, auto dimming mirror, and rain sensing wipers. It also has an MP3 connector in the glovebox, but it could have done with a 12v connector in there too for the iPOD itself. I was pleasantly impressed by the ride quality, engine quietness and not a single squeak or rattle from the internal fittings. I was a bit worried that the 1.8 engine would not be powerful enough (based on other reviews), but is fine for me and pulls strongly at the higher revs... One downside is that the CD\radio would only appear to be attached to two (front) speakers, despite the fact that there would appear to be speaker fittings in the rear door. I know the car is based on the LX, but I feel it wouldn't have taken much effort to connect all four. Overall, though, I am very pleased with my purchase - I'll keep you posted.

James Thompson, March 18th 2008

TD Aspen 5dr

Can't agree with the expert review on this one. I would recommend Mondeo estates to anyone! I bought my 1997 from a local taxi company at 3 years old with 206K on the clock. FSH of course which I have mostly maintained and it's just the best car. I've been all over the place in it - down to the south of France for one trip and up and down the country for work and 7+ years later we're at 350,000 miles and she still goes great. I can't agree with the mpg figure of 40 either - well maybe now but when I bought her, she would do 510 miles on 55 litres which I make out at about 46mpg. Not so good now though. I throw loads in the back. I can get 5 plylinings for a berlingo or astra or combovan with generator, toolboxes and associated kit in no problem or 3 kits for the old dispatch/expert/scudo - driving with my knees under my chin but it all fits. Rust is showing now so her days are numbered but she only cost Β£211 for the Mot this year. I repeat. Just the best.

John Perry, March 17th 2008