Jaguar XF (07 - 15) Owner reviews

Bought a one year old ex-demo model a month or so ago. I have driven two and a half thousand miles since then, mainly on motorways. Thoughts so far are that it is a wonderfully quiet car, certainly compared to my 2012 VW Scirocco 190 bhp diesel, mainly due to far less road noise. Steering is great, good handling though not a car for chucking round the lanes. The performance is fine, particularly for the M25 slog. If you do need crisper gear changes use Sport setting. Otherwise just leave it in Drive. It isn't quite as smooth and snappy as the VW DSG box in my view. Cabin is very soothing except for antediluvian sat nav and touchscreen. Front seats are very comfortable. Boot is suitably vast. Overall, I'm happy so far and it seems to make a 110 mile motorway journey much more bearable.

John Tebbit, Kent, March 27th 2015

d [200] Luxury 4dr Auto

Inside it is beautiful, everyone that sits in it are just gob smacked and awe struck. People used to love my Audi but after sitting in the Jaguar it was a different story. My brothers exact words were β€œThis is just another level, the people that designed this must have spent a lot of time and effort doing it”. I have the all black interior with black leathers as I felt the cream and wood finish made the car feel and look old inside. I must remind everyone that every XF is identical inside, you pay extra for the engine power, bigger wheels and outside trim, I have to say I love this about Jaguar as other makers change the inside of the car for a more powerful engine but it shouldn’t be that way! I have to say gear cylinder knob and air vents automatically moving after turning on is futuristic, some may not like it (jealousy maybe) but I definitely like it. Outside it is beautiful, everyone that looks at it is just amazed particularly with the standard 20” rims and the S badge. They simply love it, it looks modern (in the right colour) and if you’re lucky enough to have the S or the Super Charged versions then they just look like total beasts. The car is very fast. If you have a heavy foot then be prepared to pay for the Diesel, if you're sensible then it will get you 37-40MPG. Basically to sum up the car is awesome, yes the touch screen is a bit laggy and they could have used nicer electric window control buttons but they are seriously minor niggles.

simmi chauhan, Nottinghamshire, July 18th 2014

d V6 Luxury 4dr Auto [Start Stop]

simmi chauhan, Nottinghamshire, July 18th 2014

d V6 Luxury 4dr Auto

Bought this car (2.7 D Luxury) when the XF first arrived in April 2008. 120,000 miles later it still runs like new. Had a new differential and repairs to the air conditioning under warranty, apart from this it has run perfectly. Would strongly recommend to anyone thinking of buying an XF.

hugh dennis, lancashire, May 29th 2014

d V6 Luxury 4dr Auto

Bought this car from main dealership just over a month ago. Traded in a BMW 3 series. Smoother drive than the 3-series and feels like a proper luxury car. Exterior has the WOW factor with friends commenting on the sleek beutiful lines and of course the Jaguar badge. Interior just as beautiful and better than the interior of a 5-Series or E-Class in my opinion and given just as many compliment by friends. Very powerful engine, putting the German makes to shame. No problems so far mechanical wise. Sat Nav works well and is up to date. Only minor gripe is fan strength not as god as 3 series but I can live with this :) Managing around 32mpg around town and up to 39 on the motorway. Rear camera a must especially when tring to park in underground parking spaces in London!

Tun Naing Win, Middlesex, December 12th 2013

d V6 Luxury 4dr Auto

I bought this car from new over 2 years ago. Current mileage is 27000. This is easily the best car I have ever owned, though, to be fair, it is also the most expensive car I have ever owned. Performance is effortless and impressive. I do a fair amount of single carriageway cross country driving and the overtaking ability is brilliant. It also handles really well for a big car. If you put the gearbox in sport and use the paddles it effectively drives as a manual. In this mode, there is great fun to be had hanging out the tail on roundabouts! The ride is comfortable with a hint of firmness. I suspect slightly smaller wheels (mine are 20 inch) would make it more comfortable but maybe to the detriment of roadholding? The interior is beautifully crafted and luxurious in a very contemporary way. This is definitely not an old school Jag! Fuel economy is good given the performance, 40mpg on a long run cruising at 80 and 30mpg in mostly town driving. There have been no reliability issues though I have just had a new set of tyres - not cheap with the big wheels at Β£1000 for 4. I note that several people have said how good the reversing camera is. Save your money. the sensors are brilliant and make it a doddle to park such a big car. When buying the car I road tested the usual suspects. Only the BMW 5 series came close but was let down by anonymous styling, a rock hard ride and a disinterested dealership. If you are thinking about buying one, don't hesitate - go for it!

Graham Moyse, Dorset, November 3rd 2013

d V6 S Premium Luxury 4dr Auto

I thought it about time a high mileage owner gave an honest opinion. I have owned my PL luxury diesel for 6 months. The car is a 2009 model and has covered 123,000 miles. Looking back over the service history (always Jaguar) it is frightening how many sets of brake discs and pads it has had, 2 turbo's and the list goes on. Now the 6 speed auto gearbox is shot If you are like me and wanted a luxury car on a budget, avoid at all costs, the cost of repairing these things is horrendous, it still looks good (in my opinion) but the gimmicky cabin soon wears off and once you get a true feel for the car they are not that special. Don't get me wrong, there are no rattles and now the gearbox is done it drives well, but fuel economy is awful, I average around 27mpg driving sensibly. Handling is ok and the ride is also ok on the 19 ins wheels. However I am so relieved I kept my 2007 BMW 320 M sport touring, it is twice the car the Jaguar will ever be, half the running costs and twice the enjoyment, it just feels so much "tighter". My advice is do not fall in to the trap I did, high mileage models are going to be a constant source of extremely high expenditure and limited pleasure.

Gary Travis, Norfolk, September 13th 2013

V6 Premium Luxury 4dr Auto

I brought ex demo Jaguar XF 3.0d S Premium Luxury sept 2010 with 4k clocked, It is great to drive, seat could with lumber support. 2011 driving on M27 in the fast lane at 70 uphill restricted mode appeared, slowing me down to 50. It started ok but the same thing happened. Took to the dealer, they replaced a part in the turbo intercooler. Six months later, same thing happened, dealer replaced part in the intercooler. 2012 March service I was advised that the disc pads were worn and discs were lipped and would needed renewing soon (I was astounded, never had to do this on cars less that 3yrs old) I showed my dissatisfaction, I was advised it was because disc are softer, lack of carbon in the steel. They normally need changing at 20-25k I had got 30 k out of mine so had apparently done very well!!! In June at 32k the brake warning light came on and the rears were done including a new sensor as that had been cut by the disc. later that year in December at 41k the fronts had to be done. At 44.8k a day before my April service, there was a loud pop on the motor way and restricted mode appeared again, I was told the intercooler had blown, Β£1000 to replace, as it was 28 days after the guarantee ran out. Having previous trouble with this, I was not satisfied the dealership was great, Jaguar eventually replaced it free of charge. Since then it has been running well. The paint work is easily damaged with stone chips, seems too soft.

Kevin Jacobs, Hampshire, September 1st 2013

V6 Luxury 4dr Auto

I bought this 10 Plate car three months ago and apart from the poor fuel consumption and noisy injectors have found the car to be of good build quality and a comfortable ride. There is a problem with lateral support on the seats and long journeys cause me to have backache. A major dissapointment that has just reared it,s ugle head are the brakes ! After putting the car in for a free health check at the dealer, i have been advised that all four wheels need new disks ! and this after the car has only covered 31 k miles from new. The service manager says that the disks need replacing, on average , every 15k miles at a cost of over Β£ 300 per wheel and that brake pads only last around 10k miles. This is astounding news as i drive around 20k miles a year. My previous automatics all covered over 100k miles without disk problems.. these included BMW 7 ,Mercedes S Class and an Audi A8. Jaguar customer relations team are looking into my complaint and i hope to have a resolution soon. If not, then the motoring mags should be shouting about this common problem from the rooftops whilst i move back to BMW as soon as possible. I would also add that my daily journeys are 50 miles to and from work and they are all motorway as i live 1 mile from the A1M. The best MPG that i have achieved on a single trip IS 40 and not 50 as Jaguar state for urban driving.

roger towner, north yorkshire, August 9th 2013

V6 Luxury 4dr Auto

After driving the car for three years under a lease agreement and covering 81k I had the option of purchasing the car and happily did so. 10 months on and just over 100k on the clock the car is still driving superbly. The only issue in four years was a turbo fault in the first couple of months which whilst not breaking down put the car in restrictive driving mode. Sorted by the dealer promptly. Only other issue has been an over sensitive tyre pressure monitoring system. I have been able to achieve over 30k on each set of tyres and average 39 mpg on a daily commute of 45 miles each way. After previously driving an A6 & 5 series BMW the jag is step above. I have taken out the extended jag warranty but so far it has not been called upon. It still feels as fresh after 4 years and 100k as it did when new and each morning when opening the bedroom curtain at 6.00 am still makes me smile in the knowledge that I will have the pleasure of driving to work in it. I honestly did not have his same level of satisfaction with either the A6 or BMW over the six previous years of daily commute. With regard to the jag dealership I cannot fault the service. If anything they are too attentive always ringing after a couple of days to ensure satisfaction was delivered etc. If I'm pushed to find a fault it is the lack of rain channels on the A pillar windscreen which allows water to run onto the side windows obscuring vision from the wing mirrors. Would I recommend? Yes.

Geoffrey Hunter, East Yorkshire, June 27th 2013

d V6 Portfolio 4dr Auto

Even after 8 months I still look forward to driving this car. The handling is superb, the 8 speed gearbox a dream. There is a bit of lag when you accelerate, however.The computer interface for sat nav and various functions is excellent and very user friendly, far better than my wife's BMW X1 which is a nightmare. The audio isn't too bad either. The controls are nice and simple. There are a few downsides. The seats are not very comfortable and I need a cushion for extra lumbar otherwise I can hardly walk after long journeys. There were some trim issues which were fixed under the guarantee. The main problem is the fuel consumption which is even worse than it says on trip computer. Only on motorways do I get more than 34mpg. If I treat the accelerator like egg shells on B roads I cannot improve this figure. I am a company car driver and this is just unacceptable. I still love the car for all that

Jonathan Staton, Northants, February 20th 2013

d Luxury 4dr Auto

My current BMW 525D (6 cyl) is due for replacement and I had the XF 2.2D 190 for a 2 day trial recently. No doubt about it, the XF is a lovely sports saloon with a very crisp sports biased chasis and an exceptionally smooth high speed ride. Low speed ride is too firm and jiggly to be truly comfortable - but not disasterous by any stretch. Downsides? Laggy pick - up; The turbo and gearbox take a while to wind up and get going. This is very noticeable especially since the gearbox always wants to be in the highest available gear at all time, adding to the kick down 'lag'. When accelerating the engine is noisy and this unfortunate soundtrack doesn't really go with the rest of the car. I also find the BM's 'I drive' to be safer and easier to use than the Jag's touch screen equivalent. If you haven't driven the equivalent BM the Jag is very impressive - just bear in kind that kind of chasis is poorly served by the XF's engine and gearbox.

Roland Grant, Middx, January 15th 2013

d SE 4dr Auto

Just picked up a 2.2 Luxury, Really pleased with the fit and finish of the car, allwell put together. Everyone loves the interior theatrics. On the road the car has a great ride and is smooth and comforting yet can be sporty as well. The 8 speed gearbox does a good job of making sure your inte right gear when you need to be. Only downside is the boot isn't massive compared to rivals. Dealer Park Royal in London were fabulous and service was second to none.

stuart groves, oxon, November 12th 2012

d Luxury 4dr Auto

This could be a great car but is let down by shocking dealers and even worse customer service. My 2.2d suffers from a wheel vibration and the dealer says it's normal. It has done this from day 1. It also needed new brakes at a 1000 miles. Fuel consumption is shocking, best so far is 33mpg. It's a lovely looking car that handles well but my car has problems. Going back to a BMW next time, an expensive mistake.

Adam Kent, Staffs, December 20th 2011

d SE 4dr Auto

This is my second review of the Jag XF. Well it's been 12 months since I bought my Jag and I can only say it's been a pleasure. Some of the other reviews here bear no resemblance to my experience with Jaguar. The few problems I've had have always been dealt with promptly and to my satisfaction. Jaguar HQ customer service has been brilliant, with follow ups subsequent to any visit to my local Jag dealer Barretts of Canterbury. They've always ensured I've been happy with how things have been dealt with. Having previously owned German cars, I never experienced this level of customer service from them. Turning to the car itself, the only extra I wish I'd ordered was the upgrade to the seating on the Premium Luxury, I would agree with other comments here that long distances can cause a bit of back ache. However, having sat in the latest model this seems to have been addressed with more of a "wrap around seat" now fitted as standard. Mileage has been a little disappointing at an average of around 31 mpg which is why I only rate the running costs as 4 stars. It's as much a pleasure to drive everyday as it was on the day I collected it. I can't wait for the new XF 4 wheel drive to come out, and will test drive it as soon as it's available. I'm definitely a converted Audi/BMW/Merc fan. One final point is that my wife loves driving this car, has no problems (well not yet fingers crossed) reversing as I had the reverse camera fitted as an option, something she's never done in the past.

Brian Wood, Kent, November 29th 2011

d V6 Premium Luxury 4dr Auto

I’m a long-standing Jaguar fan and owner and reviewed my previous 3.0D here in early 2010. In December 2010 I swapped that car for a new V8 Premium Luxury S – my fifth Jaguar. The car is fantastic to drive, as ever, and the V8 engine is superb and much better than a diesel. For the same money it is a simple choice for a private buyer who likes cars. Fuel consumption has been surprisingly good at an average of 26.1 mpg to date over 9500 miles, which has included daily cold starts and short journeys; on a run, I get around 30mpg. The diesel averaged 37mpg over its 16000 miles so the difference in cost of ownership is much, much closer than official figures suggest. Sadly, I am less convinced than ever by the quality. In this case the car has well over 200 stone chips covering every panel apart from the roof and boot. Everyone who looks at it makes comment and the previous car drove almost twice as far on the same roads and was without a mark when traded in. Jaguar has been completely dismissive and I even have an email from Jaguar that implies the car isn’t able to withstand driving on an autobahn (which I had done). The customer service has been diabolical, tending toward aggressive rather than helpful or even at least understanding (I’m not sure they even listen). I have given up waiting for phone calls. I will vote with my feet (or wallet) now – it is unlikely I will ever buy another Jaguar. For that money and as a long-time owner I expected better.

Jonathan Passmore, August 31st 2011

V8 S Premium Luxury 4dr Auto

had my XF foe nearly 3 years, i still look forward to every driving minute, for a big car it feels nimble and agile, and even with the 2.7d has a fair bit of up and go ! the fuel consumption for a car this big and this much poke still amazes me. i get a min of 35mpg and thats driving it full on when get chance , my wife fiat 500 in town does 36 mpg . its the sort of car that make you wish we had toll roads, with higher speed limits, as it a great long distance high speed cruiser , and with 40 mpg at 100 mph and a 75 litre tank you can get anywhere quickly. The sat nav is the best on the market and is easy to use, the BW stereo upgrade is the best option you can choose. The "thunderbirds are go ! " when you press the start button brings back the inner child all people have somewhere. The seats are amazing, ( after 15 years of saabs i was used to comfort ) . i have spent 8 hours at the wheel and feel fine. The dealers dont make you feel they are doing you a favour ( ALFA, AUDI. BMW, Porsche take note) by letting you have a 15 min test drive, whilst trying to sell you their stock spec cars. The service depts pay attention to detail, and dont try yo extract as much cash as possible from you The only down sides are the lack of 4wd so in the snow its best left at home,

stella garner, herts, July 31st 2011

d Luxury 4dr Auto

I have owned my Jaguar for 10 weeks of which 5 weeks the car has been off the road! I like many new owners looked for something different to my usual allegience to the German brands and frankly wish I hadn't bothered! how they score so well on JD and magazine reviews stagger me! I have had 1 demo and 2 loan XF's and my own and not one has been rattle free - the build quality is simply disgraceful for a car that costs this much and something I have never experienced with the German brands! Also, mine has a fault(vibration at speed under braking) that can't be fixed and has been referred again to Jaguar HQ - sadly for me owning the new plate has meant driving none stop loan vehicles on older plates! Jaguar for me have done little to nothing to help - they don't call or keep you up to date and seem to think it is acceptable to leave customers wondering what is happening with their Β£40k investment! The centre console heats up to the point it is like a radiator but guess what its a 'quirk' of the XF that all do! AKA bad engineering! The seats are not comfy on long journeys and the stereo is rubbish! I had a merc C class sport before this which totally puts this car to shame in all areas! You will be impressed with a test drive but trust me test it for a LONG time and you will save yourself from a big mistake that sadly I made!

Steve Tanner, Merseyside, May 12th 2011

d V6 Luxury 4dr Auto

I previously gave a review last October, and everything I said then still stands. But.........and it's a biggie.....the drivers seat became intolerably uncomfortable to the point where I could no longer drive it for more than 15 mins without serious pain in the outside right side of my thigh. The dealer, who's sales staff had previously been so helpful? Well, their service rep I spoke to was far less interested. So, potentially a great car ruined in my case because I couldn't use it for the purpose intended.....driving. I have met a few other tall people complaining of the same issue. So, sold it having done 14k miles in less than a year, and it's a shame because I so wanted this to be a great (British) car......but it just wasn't in the end. Is yours going to be ok?

Ron from Cheshire, Cheshire, October 11th 2010

d V6 S Luxury 4dr Auto

I have owned my XF for only 130 days & it has been back at the dealers 11 times & off the road 41 days. The last visit was on December 8th & they didn't return the car to me until January 9th still with faults.The computer brain of the car & sunroof replaced,trim rattles looked at, fuel filler unit replaced because it refuses to open when you need to fill up. Far to many electrical problems to list & AGAIN Taunton Jaguar could not fix them When driving in rain water builds up right where you will look into the rear view mirrors. The water forms a whirl pool & does not leave the window so when changing lanes on motorway your vision is blocked by water build up. This car seems to have been rushed onto the market place without full testing & is poorly built I have now had 3 Jaguars & the first 2 were perfect so after seeing the reviews we brought the XF with only an hour's test drive which now looking back was an expensive mistake. I have tried to reject the car but the dealership & Jaguar cars seem to think the problems I have with this car are just minor & I quote from the dealers letter 'the courts accept many cars have defects on delivery' Jaguar Cars LTD themselves just pass the buck onto the dealers. To conclude the XF looks great but has far to many major design flaws to justify Β£42K so AVOID THIS POOR CAR

DAVE NICHOLLS, NORTH SOMESET, January 20th 2009