V6 Supercharged Portfolio 4dr Auto [LWB]

The cabin looks great but it is not well made, it creaks, rattles & vibrates. During the past two years I have lost track of the number of times it has been back to the dealership but they have failed to stop these noises/faults for more than a week or two before they return worse than before. Not good enough for a Β£70,000 plus car so save yourself a lot of grief & buy something else.

A.... Wren, September 8th 2013

d V6 Luxury 4dr Auto

I have had my XJ for a year now from new. I switched from Land Rover products 8 years ago, and my first non-Land Rover was a Jaguar S-Type 2.7D. This was a superb car which I loved. I also really liked the looks. Then after I'd had it for four years I test drove an XF. Wow, it made the S-Type look 'ordinary'. So I bought an XF 3.0D. When I took it for its third annual service I asked to borrow an XJ. Oh dear! The XJ in turn made the XF look rather 'ordinary'....so I ordered one immediately. Overall, I think this is the best car I have ever driven. Taking account of the price it must rate as one of the best cars in thr world. Every journey is an event. In fact I often take it out for a drive for no reason at all, it is so lovely to drive. The performance from the 3.0D is all anybody could ever need, and I get 42 mpg on my long runs down to Cornwall...and I don't drive slowly! As a driver's car it is perfect. It shrinks in size once you get on the move, and inspires total confidence. It is a large car, so parking can sometimes be a challenge, and I wouldn't have one without the rear view camera. My wife is only five feet tall, and although she finds the front seats fine, she says the rear seats are rather low for a short person. But that's no problems as there's only the two of us, and the rear seats are hardly ever used. Another plus, the boot is enormous. Fabulous car! Well done JLR!

Keith Ray, Bucks, April 26th 2013

d V6 Luxury 4dr Auto [8]

I owned an S-type and XF before the XJ. I took my XF for service a year ago and was loaned an XJ. Oh my God! What a great strategy that was by the agent! The S type was very good, then the XF put it in the shade. The XF was very good, then the XJ put that in the shade! The XJ is such a joy to drive, I often go out for no reason other than to enjoy it. I was invited to go round the Jaguar factory to watch XJs being made, which I did. The factory is so impressive, and I was particularly interested in the bonded chassis construction. Some people say the XJ's looks are controversial, especially the rear. However I think it is sublime, and well in keeping with Sir William Lyon's tradition. Taking price into account, I think the XJ is the best luxury car you can buy. I had thought about a Bentley Continental GT, but overall there is no comparison with the XJ at half the price! Best car I have ever bought by a long way.

Keith Ray, Bucks, April 22nd 2013

3.0 V6 Executive 4dr Auto

I previously owned a new 3.0 S type; a dire car. It was with trepidation, I approached Jaguar ownership for a 2nd time. I needn’t have worried. My 2 owner β€˜04 car came with FJSH and 30K miles. It cost over Β£70K new. I paid just Β£12K. It is still worth Β£10K plus a year later. Super to drive with 25mpg in non-motorway driving, it has the go of the R without the silly big wheels not for UK roads. The alloy body makes it lighter than the S and benefits every aspect of performance. Pirelli tyres cost c. Β£185 and look like lasting 15K miles and Jaguar servicing is Β£500 with work like pads done at the local garage who source genuine jag parts with 50% less for labour. With my private plate it looks a million dollars! This car has everything from rear audio controls & heated electrically adjustable rear seats to touch screen satnav (updated with a Β£30 disc from eBay), voice control, active cruise control, (keeps you a set distance from traffic ahead) and all that chrome wood and (ivory) ruche and piped leather. It is hard to conceive a more economic way to own total luxury and power (60 in 5 secs.). How can What Car? say β€˜avoid’ to car that cost more than an XJR when new, now costs less now and offers more luxury and the same clout? This is the fastest most luxurious car I have owned and all for Β£12K and about Β£2000 a year in tyres, servicing and depreciation. If like me you drive around 10K miles a year, you won’t regret; save the money over the diesel and enjoy real performance?

Robert Ayley, Kent, December 9th 2011

2.7 TDVi Sport Premium 4dr Auto

Beautiful car, but make sure you have the wallet (and the patience) for it. After growing up with them with my dad having XJ's for over 20 years, I got an X-Type to start me off, which was flawless and didnt give me one bit of trouble, so took the leap to the XJ6 which I bought from a main dealer just as it turned 3 years old for over Β£25k with 26000 miles. It has been back at Jag more times than its been in my driveway. Despite driving like a saint and avoiding potholes so much that its not even funny, the tracking goes off on a monthly basis and shreads the tyres (which are Β£300 each - ive went through 8 in less than a year and 6000 miles!!!!!), the DPF filter needs purged every 2 months at a cost of over Β£200, cant ignore it as it goes in to limp home mode, Jag just cant seem to get my car working right, and repairs are never covered under the warranty! Tried to trade it in, but the most they would offer me was Β£13k, making me a loss of Β£12k in 9 months. Shocking, as they will resell it for over Β£19k. Only covered 6000 miles in less than 12 months and its costing an arm and a leg. The Jaguar warranty isnt worth the paper its written on and they had the cheek to try and sell me extended cover. Poor show for a driver of their flag ship model! Amazing car to look at, but thats all that its good for, as it doesnt bloody go! Come on Jag, get a grip!

Paul Keating, Midlothian, March 13th 2011

Sovereign LWB 4dr Auto

This is my second big Jag and I am delighted with it. I decided to treat myself after promotion at work and I can't think of a better wat to commute to work everyday. I know it's not the cheapest way to travel but whats the point of slogging your guts out without any reward! Just because I have the power under my right foot doesn't mean I have to use - but it's nice to know it'ss there for my more reckless days!!

peter curley, devon, January 31st 2009

V8 SE 4dr Auto

Having previously owned 2 S-Types and an XK, I purchased this ex-Jaguar car with confidence that I would be buying a fast, classy, reliable and comfortable car. I am certainly not disappointed. It really is perfection to drive - very good acceleration, lot's of space (inc. the back seat passengers), high specification and quality fittings. OK the fuel consumption is not fantastic but it is a 4.2 litre V8 with 300 bhp and is probably equal to my last 3 litre S-Type. I can easily achieve over 30mpg on a long motorway run. I love the car and can only recommend the XJ to any potential purchaser.

David Allen, Worcestershire, November 25th 2008

Sovereign LWB 4dr Auto

Bought second hand with a few thousand on the clock, seven years later, I have 133,000 - as a chauffeur, I put in some mileage. The car has been faultless, always willing, always starts. True, I have picked up a few chips and knocks on the way but at 3 o'clock on a cold November morning, when I turn the key, something has to happen - my Jaguar has never let me down. Regularly serviced by my friendly specialist - whatever you say about Ford and Jaguar, Ford certainly know how to put a car together. Terrific ride, and always a great feeling when I am in "the office". Responsive and not too bad on petrol if careful with the right foot and if driven sensibly. Liked by my clients - I thought that it may be time to change for another Sovereign - but why?

Murray Harrold, Bucks, July 7th 2008

V8 XJR Supercharged 4dr Auto

I have owned this car, from new, for amost a year now. Long enough to make a reasonable comment on it. First the dislikes. The cup holders in the front are useless, they are in the centre armrest and interfere with the gear selector. Second, the plastic used for the underside of the steering wheel support is horrid. Wood and leather (or a quality material) should be everywhere your fingers fall. A tiny skimp that lets the ambiance down. That's it. It is doing 23 plus to the gallon despite the performance being addictive. Everything still works perfectly. It is extremely comfortable, looks great and is the best car to drive I have ever had. The lovely whoosh from the supercharger gives you a schoolboy grin every time. Nice one Jaguar.

David Bowden, June 17th 2008

2.7 TDVi Sovereign [LWB] 4dr Auto

This is my bosses car my car being a Fiesta. He lent it to me to drive to a client's. Wow what a car, a big Jaguar does leather and wood extremely well and it comes loaded with equipment including sat nav and an extremely good sterio. The car has plenty of power when you put your foot down and on the open road you do not notice the shaer size of it. It is more noticable when parking but the sensores help. One down side is that the boot for such a large car does not have that much room. I noticed people look at you different in this car and treat you with respect. Long live the classic big Jag they are fantastic

Richard Gibbard, Bucks, May 21st 2008

3.2 4dr Auto

I bought this 1998 car from a friend, 3 years ago, and it's fabulous in every way. It's now completed only 55,000 miles and still runs like a dream. I had it converted to autogas and can fill up for Β£25. Acceleration is not so good on gas, but on petrol it's something else. Buy these second hand because they're a steal. DON'T take it back to Jaguar looking for a trade-in as they'll offer you peanuts. I love my XJ8 !

Jim Thomson, May 20th 2008

3.0 V6 SE 4dr Auto

This is my second Jaguar 2003 with 45000 miles on the clock last one was back in 1994 a Jaguar sovereign a great car, but this one puts it to shame with relaxing drive posistions with the multiadjust seat, with MPG, 28mpg around the roads in the highlands of Scotland and 30+ on motorway driving at a steady 70mph. Dont be afraid to buy one you wont regret it.

ANDREW MURDOCH, LANARKSHIRE, March 11th 2008

V8 SE 4dr Auto

Bought a 2004 / 54 plate in 2007 with 20K miles and have since covered 12K in the car. The longer I own this car the more I appreciate it. The obvious things 1) the interior is in a class of it's own with so much more character than German cars, 2) the ride quality is superb, 3) it's supremely comfortable with a seat that adjusts in every direction plus adjustable pedals and steering wheel and 4) Jag dealers do make an effort. The not so obvious things.... 1) road holding is excellent for a car of this size with the CATS suspension making a real difference... 2) fuel economy, only 21mpg around town but 30 is EASILY achievable on long runs at 70mph, it drops to high 20's if you have a desire to break the speed limit... 3) running costs - get one with a 2 year warranty like I did and the costs are good as Jag offer big discounts to cars that are over 3 years old (I am still in the frees ervicing period I got when I bought the car but my last service & MOT on the S-Type came to Β£199. Unless you are loaded buying new is a massive hit in the wallet but a 3 or 4 year old model is going to cost about 20K from Jag. Okay the car depreciates but if you are going to buy a new family saloon for 18 to 20K and do 12K miles a year then don't, buy a Jag that is a few years old and enjoy it for the same depreciation (or, as I did opt out of the company car scheme and get one). Old mans car..... nope! Buy one.

David Burgess, January 13th 2008

3.0 V6 SE 4dr Auto

I bought this car used in 2006 (3 litre V6 petrol) and tried out the current BMW 7 series and Audi A8. All the cars a great, but the XJ just felt right and had a bit of British character to it which swayed it for me. The performance from the V6 is excellent - and if I behave on the motorway and stick to 70mph (not easy - the car feels the same between 50 and 90mph), then I can get an easy 34mpg. The interior is big (not as big as 70-series, A8 or S-Class though) and the leather seats are very comfortable for long journeys. I have the satnav version which comes with Alpine premium stereo which is absolutely excellent. I need my audio to be high quality and this unit delivers. Owning this car has been in the main great but had a couple of minor (not costly to fix) niggles. Main dealer servicing is no more costly than BMW, but 10,000 mile service intervals comes around too quickly. All in all, this is the best car I have ever owned (previously had BMW 7,5,3 series, Lexus GS300, Mercedes E-class). I am chuffed to bits that a car designed and built in Britain is this good when up against the best of the best. Buy one and ensure the future of Jagaur.

Dolo Miah, December 24th 2007

2.7 TDVi Sport Premium 4dr Auto

Have owned this car for just 3 weeks buying it brand new from a local jaguar dealership and there is only one word that adequately describes it AWESOME!! Have had 4 mercs two porsches and various other toys, this car is the best i have ever had. The ride quality is fab the level of refinement is unbelievable and when you drive it you never want to get out of it. Get down and buy one you wont be disappointed and any one that suggests its an old mans car just has not got a clue . I have been suprised at the rave comments i have had about the car and as i said before AWESOME!!!

phillip atkinson, November 21st 2007

Sovereign LWB 4dr Auto

I've now owned my Jaguar Sovereign for 3 years. So far it has been very reliable, having only to replace tyres at Β£45+fitting each, a new battery, lower front ball joints and most recently the timing chain tensioners and water pump; these were a preventive measure more than anything. Around town I get about 18mpg, the best I've ever had was 27mpg on a trip to the south of France. The car is 8yrs old and apart from a few gravel rash marks on the bonnet the bodywork is perfect. This is my second Jag, the first being a 1991 XJ40 that was also very reliable. Servicing is reasonable at about Β£75 with a specialist. If youve ever wanted a Jag, buy one, just try to buy the best you can afford.

Steven Norman, September 7th 2007

3.5 V8 Sport Premium 4dr Auto

Just bought my 3.5V8 after many months of driving most cars in this class. My is a low mileage 56, and was far more reasonably priced that a 7-series or S-Class (or even well spec'ed E-Class). Drove quite a few XJ6 (3.0 litres), and they lack the necessary power (Jag should not have discontinued the 3.5 on the basis of the XJ filling its place), and the 4.2 just didn't justify the additional costs. The XJ still has a disinctive body, and has yet to fall into the 'looks like a big Mondeo' trap that Merc seem unable to avoid at present - mind you, the new XF does look like a big Mondeo in the preview pics!

Mark Vasey, Herts, September 3rd 2007

3.0 V6 Sovereign 4dr Auto

THIS IS THE BEST CAR FROM JAGUAR SO FAR I HAVE ALWAYS HAD XJs FROM THE SER 0NE. ITS REALY GREAT TO DRIVE, 29 MILES PER GALLON QUAITY WOOD AND LEATHER,6 STARS FROM ME, YOU MUST TEST DRIVE ONE YOU WILL LOVE IT.

allan taylor, northants, July 30th 2007

2.7 TDVi Sovereign [LWB] 4dr Auto

I test drove this car recently to see just how good the diesel engine really is. I expected it to be very refined, but it was more than that. From the interior of the vehicle, it is virtually - no, completely - impossible to tell that you are driving a car with a diesel engine. As you accelerate there is not even a hint of diesel clatter - just a muted multi-cylindrical hum that lets you know you're gathering speed - gathering speed quite rapidly, as it happens. I drove the long-wheelbase model and expected the car to feel like the limousine that it is - not a bit! The whole car seems to shrink around you, and the smooth gearbox, communicative steering, and excellent driving position only heighten the enjoyment. As would be expected of a Jaguar, the ride quality is excellent and the handling fabulous - it relishes twisty roads. The cabin, is, of course, a fabulous place to be. The wood and leather ambience of the saloon is a classic Jaguar characteristic, and I adored it. The spacious rear compartment was equipped with TVs, lambswool rugs, an electric sunblind, heated electric rear seats, and burr walnut picnic tables (not as nice as the ones on my old-shape Daimler, as they are only wood faced, the working surface being plastic), all of which added up to make it a truly opulent place to be. The SatNav was very easy to use indeed - far more intuitive than the offerings from BMW and Mercedes, and I found everything very clearly laid out.

Christopher Larkin, Hertfordshire, June 29th 2007

Sport 3.2 4dr Auto

I bought this car in 2001 from a Jaguar main dealer with 60K miles on the clock. Although it is an early model with nikasil bores it has now covered 175K. The quality interior and smooth V8 engine makes it a superb long distance cruiser. Economy is not too bad managing 28-30mpg on a run. It has needed a new water pump after the impeller failed. Rear shock absorbers are expensive to replace. The most annoying fault was a loose rear bumper caused by corrosion of the steel bolts in their aluminium brackets. This to me seems a basic design fault and is a difficult DIY job and quite expensive too. Overall the main dealer has been very helpful,servicing costs are reasonable,a great car.

Andy Leather, Cheshire, March 8th 2007