1 3dr

I really don't understand how WHATCAR can give this car such a low rating, Ok, the breaks are 'grabby'...the steering? seems ok to me, It drives lively, very comfortable, body roll?? don't notice any, At speed it may get a little noisier than bigger cars but what does anyone expect? the mpg is less than quoted by KIA, but all makers make out their cars are more efficient than actually are. Overall very pleased, if anyone is looking at one , don't be put off by WHATCAR's review.

howard lambourne, Oxon, March 27th 2015

VR7 3dr

I bought this car brand new as a runaround as my main car is a Land Rover and is not that city friendly. I was initially put off by the WhatCar reviews and instead looked at the i10. I just didn't thing the i10 was as attractive inside or as well made and after driving both, they drive virtually identically. I opted for the 1.0 Litre VR7 model due to the spec and finance offer and whilst it won't set any boy racer's hearts going it is perfectly acceptable providing you aren't too reluctant with the accelerator. The ride quality is pretty amazing for such a small car and for the price. It seriously feels like a car from a class or even two above. It also is happy to be really thrown around and holds its composure really well. My advice to anyone reading the WhatCar review - ignore it and try the Picanto for yourself.

james riley, March 13th 2015

2 5dr

My wife's a driving instructor who uses the Picanto for her business; it's also our only car. We almost didn't buy this car on the back of the What Car review, but we're glad we did. First, the brakes - if they were as bad as the reviewer claims it would be hopeless for learners. The brakes are fine. Steering - OK, feels a bit vague at first, but that's only an issue on motorways and you soon get used to it. The 1.0 engine is no ball of fire, but it's a lot of fun to drive, you just have to work it hard - the three-cylinder has lots of character. It's a great little car as long as you switch off the gear shift indicator, which is hopelessly optimistic - this car doesn't lend itself to high-gear driving. Economy doesn't come anywhere near 67mpg regardless of driving style - I've had 60mpg on one tankful but it was tedious, in practice 55 is typical. The interior is superb, though a bit too dark for my liking - some colour would be nice. At 25,000 miles it still feels like new; we'll be trading in for a 1.2 in a couple of months. The only problem we had was that a bearing failed on the aircon compressor; the dealer was great but took an embarrassingly long time to fix it, even proposing a full engine stripdown until I realised what it was and suggested they take a look.......but that's not unusual with main dealers. They stood by the warranty though, even though we'd misunderstood the service schedule and overshot a main service by 3000 miles.

Chris Holman, Lancashire, November 14th 2014

5 2 5dr Auto

Actually my wife's car. Her previous car was an 03 Ka, but a ride as a passenger in an Audi A3 automatic made her want an auto. Small auto cars are uncommon, and the Picanto, with its torque converter box, seemed to be the only contender. She loves it, and I enjoy it too. WhatCar says - "It's not very good to drive at all. The steering is poor, the brakes are grabby, the ride is knobbly and the entry-level engine weedy and unrefined." - I bow to the experience of the reviewer but while the 1.25 auto won't excite, it is nice to drive. The steering is quite light, but that seems to make driving very easy and relaxing. At first the brakes seem very fierce, but after you've peeled yourself off the windscreen a couple of times you soon acclimatise. Actually I found it easy as the brakes are similar to those on my Astra, but my wife, who's never driven the Astra, soon got used to them and drove very smoothly after a few miles. The ride also feels pretty comfortable to us too, with no 'knobbles'. Obviously I can't speak for the 1 litre engine, but the 1.25 seems up to the job and is pretty smooth. The amount of kit in the '2' model is excellent, as is the finish in the cabin. Negatives: there's no thermometer for outside temperatures. The 35 litre petrol tank is too small for the relatively poor petrol consumption of the auto box, which matches that of my 1.6 manual Astra, with 52 litres. Kia's figure of 53mpg seems unattainable, and believe me I've tried. Still, a nice car.

John Collins, February 3rd 2014

LX 5dr

I have a 2010 Kia Picanto 1.1LX, which I bought in summer 2012 as a second car, because it was a newish (<3 years old) car with a long warranty and also because a lady I know swears by its reliability (she had hers since 2004 I think). AND because I liked the Kia Cee'd which we already have (and still do). My wife loves driving it. I am bigger and found it somewhat cramped after some time, though it's bigger than other cars like this and was fine on the test drive. (The Huyndai i10 and even i20 are worse for me). So now I only use it for shorter drives. It has given no problems at all in the year and a half that we had it. It is sluggish, but that would be expected from such an engine. It is very pleasant to get around in city traffic and to park, so I do prefer it when we go to the city. On the motorway it has to be revver at 3500+ RPM and gets quite noisy but is quite driveable. The fuel economy has been a disappointment. Outside of city driving it is apparently as thirsty as the bigger 1.4 Cee'd. It may be because of motorway use.

Mikhail Ramendik, Limerick, February 2nd 2014

3 5dr

I have been fortunate to own many "prestige" cars.After my circumstances changed I had to cut my cloth accordingly.Being a mum of three children,living in a rural area and having a school run of 44 miles everyday I needed reliable,safe,economical,practical and easy/pleasant to drive.Off I went on the new car hunt! Trying to get the best deal.Brand snob in me wanted the VW up but I soon realised that it and all the other cars in this class are 4 seaters.I needed 5! Reluctantly I went to Kia.What a revelation! I walked in to a very pleasant sales woman.Totally informative,friendly and not pushy at all.The picanto city was on offer.So off I went and OMG as my kids say! How cool was it! 5 seats! Great styling.no road tax.insurance for £99 a year! I took it out for a whizz and felt like I was in a very safe sturdy car ,it's fun! It's nippy.gets the kids in and shopping in and looks brilliant!I have had it now for 3 months and the only downsides are the fuel efficiency is not as good as kia say.it's more like 47 mpg but let's be honest,that's still great!other one is the back gets very muddy as its flat.Don't hesitate to go investigate the kia range and I will never be so stupid to think ever again that German is best! It's a little belter of a car and kia themselves are second to none..WONDERFUL!

melisa oliver, November 22nd 2013

1 3dr

Well having owned a Kia Sorento i opted for a new Picanto as a daily commute, to simplify free road tax,cheap insurance,and cheap running costs drove me towards this car put that with a seven year warrenty with three years free servicing and the first MOT threw in from my dealer i was hooked. H aving read a few reviews on the motor i started to worry a bit before i got the car as i opted for the 1.1-1 3 door version, i sold a 2.8l chrysler and drove my partners sorento so was used to having a bit of extra power, having read this car was supposed to be gutless and left the driver exposed on the motorway left me worried to say the least. First impressions were good i was happy with the extras the leg/height room i am 19 stone and six foot one! the car was easy accessible to me. the cabin was spacious well layed out and instruments easy to see. i was pleasantly surprised with the little engine on my first drive plenty of power in my opinion and not sluggish at all as i drove onto the motorway it was easily capable of keeping up with the traffic and on the few times i over took it was no problems at all. the only thing that lets it down is the stated mpg after 300 miles or so in the first week i achieved 55.6 miles per gallon and after two weeks is still sitting on 55 far short than the quoted 67 but far better than the chrysler or sorento on 32 !! overall a good quality little car with good space in the cabin plenty of extras you dont pay extra for and cheap to run.

christopher thornthwaite, STIRLINGSHIRE, October 1st 2013

2 5dr

Ok I'll keep it short and sweet. The interior is simply amazing. No car of this price range can match it. The Bluetooth and voice control actually works and recognises my Geordie accent no bother at all. The steering wheel chrome trim looks very bold and impressive. The small engine is surprisingly nippy and tax free. MPG is to be envious of achieving 60mpg combined easily if I'm good, and 48mpg combined if I'm in a real hurry. Holds the road beautifully. Small tyres make it fab in the bad weather. 5dr practicality but keeping its good looks is a plus. Incredible warranty. Holds its money well. Great low insurance. Bad bits next. Never managed to achieve 67.3mpg kia figures. Stereo is not loud enough when using Bluetooth but good using cd or aux usb cable. Bluetooth reads names surname first if you own an iPhone. Overall a very impressive, efficient, spacious, nippy, little pretty car!

Daniel Rodwell, Durham, September 25th 2013

1 3dr

So you want a supermini that's cheap to run, is fun to drive and has some practical ability. Forget the three cylinder 1.0 variant of the Picanto - it's for Grandma and newly qualified drivers (lower insurance costs). The 1.25 Kappa engine boasts some very sophisticated innovations which certainly surprised me. The engine is so quiet on tickover and in use that I did a bit of research to see how it was achieved. An offset crankshaft (used on high performance motorbike engines to reduce wear and vibration), multipoint injection AND variable valve timing make for a very tractable yet sparkly engine. I traded an S-Type Jag for this and wasn't expecting too much in return, yet it has a quiet, low maintenance engine (no cam belt changes due to a silent type cam chain) comfy driving position - (I never achieved that in my old Xantia) and an airy pleasant cabin. I have the "3" variant with all the toys and to be honest it's a hoot! OK so the ride is firm-ish, but it feels planted, and true, the steering is a bit light and lacking in feel. The skinny tyres aren't going to provide ultimate grip levels, but with a 3 year servicing deal for about £250, MPG currently around 50 (but the engine is still tight) and £20 a year for RFL I can't find it in me to complain too much. The shopping will fit in the boot, and you can stack a couple of bags on the back seat (go for the 5 door version). This is the second Kia I own and I think you'll find the Picanto pretty hard to beat in it's class

Ian Bland, Cheshire, March 7th 2013

5 2 EcoDynamics 5dr

This is the wife's run around, the 5th Kia we have had in the last 6 years. No problems at all with the little beast except sticking rear brake calipers, this is a known fault and now they have been replaced then all is good. Pro's : It goes like the wind, great acceleration and handling, real go cart effect, trim is good, seats ok, leg room not bad for me @ 6ft. con's : Fuel economy, even driving like the popes mother on a Sunday you cannot get over 50mpg nevermind the claimed mid 70's Front end styling is excellent but the rear just looks naf, but ithe wife like the car and thats all that matters, would i get another? Yes.

stephen gowling, lincolnshire, September 14th 2012

GS 5dr

i passed my test 5 months ago and this is the 2nd car i have driven. although i havent got much experience there are many probles which can be see from the car. for example many people have said about the fuel consumption and getting 300 miles out of a tank. ive got just over 200 miles which equals around 33 miles per gallon which is rubbish to say the least.another problem is that there is very little frontal grip which i lost the other day which worried me quite alot. im 6ft4 and i can squeez myself into the drivers seat just but find that the wheel does get in the way. however the good points are that i fit in the back well with planty of head room and LEG ROOM!

michael Byrne, staffordshire, March 15th 2011

SE+ 5dr

overall I'm very pleased with it. The SE+ version provides 4 electric windows, leather trim and part leather seats. The cabin feels well put together and equipment levels are already quite generous. To drive the 1.1 is a bit sluggish and runs out of puff on hills but maintains good progress on the motorway. The brakes are fierce, the ride is quite hard and the indicator stalk is on the wrong side. Room in the cabin is good but the boot is tiny with the rear seats up. When I took delivery there was the wrong manual for the stereo which the dealer corrected quickly and after a couple of weeks the brake lights stuck on. Again the dealer fixed this quickly and there have been no other problems since. I have just paid £255 for the main service at the Kia dealership which I feel is steep for a small car. This was just the basic service, nothing additional was required apart from swapping round the front and rear tyres. The cost of servicing and spares does concern me and has made me think twice about buying a Kia Ceed to replace our other car. In June I was hit in the rear whilst waiting at traffic lights and pushed into the back of the car in front. The Kia was off the road for nearly 8 weeks - some of which was insurance company delays but mostly problems in getting replacement front and rear bumpers. I do like this car and would certainly buy another but Kia - why don't you make a diesel version? That would be a great small car

Jeremy Stokes, Somerset, November 15th 2008

3 5dr

Test drove a picanto 3 today as im looking for a car to beat the credit crunch and high fuel costs, i was quite impressed at how solid it felt. its no pocket rocket but in the 3 trim level it looks the part, had smart alloy wheels, spoiler, bodykit, chrome exterior and interior door handles and fog lights oh and indicators on the wing mirrors! which are electric and heated. the dashboard looks well put together with leather steering wheel and gearstick, alloy pedals along with mp3 conection, aircon, remote locking alarm, all round electric windows the gauges are silver which turn orange in the dark very nice! just waiting for the dealer to get to me with the best deal and im having one in white, and will have no problems with my 20k a year milage as it does 55mpg and petrol is nearly 10p a litre cheaper than diesel. and comes with 3 year unlimited milage warranty! fantastic, the what car verdict is a bit harsh i think as i was impressed with the car and the helpfulness of the dealer. i will write another report in a while to update. i think anyone who wants a budget car which does not look or feel like one and get 50+mpg should go to visit there local kia dealer!

stephen hoggarth, cumbria, November 14th 2008

LX 5dr

I've just been given this car as a courtesy car, and I think that is all it's good for. The clutch is spongy, the brakes are too harsh, and the light/wiper stalks are on the wrong side of the steering wheel. The outside styling is also bland. The dash is basic and doesn't look attractive, even though you do get electrics all round and air con... I tend to go for looks. I really hope my C2 is fixed quickly!!!

Dan Hutson, Essex, October 3rd 2008

5dr

I do not own one of these, but my wife and I test drove one when she was choosing a new car, though we ended up with the Hyandi Getz 1.1. We were attracted to the Picanto car by its looks, price, insurance group and the big attraction is the £15-a-year road tax. With its fuel economy, and insurance group 1 or 2, it's cheaper to run that a motorcycle (except parking of course). If you want a runabout for work, this is fine, and as a second car. The quality of the bodywork is good, and the doors sounded good quailty when you close them (they're not tiny). Bad points: to say the car is gutless is an understatment (then it's only 1.0). Legroom is awful in the driver's seat (so if you're 5ft 11 to over 6ft, forget it), and there is no clock at all - it would have cost them 50p to have a cheap digital clock, so you would need to go the motorway accessory shop for the stick-on one! However, for value for money in the current credit and fuel crisis, it's a car worth trying. If I were to stereotype this car then I would say its for 18-year old young women, and elderly person or a single parent (as a value-practical four-door.

SAM COATSWORTH, June 23rd 2008

LX 5dr

We've had our 1.1 LX Picanto for two months now, it's two years old. My partner and I are both learning to drive in it. It wasn't a car that we'd condsidered buying but when we were at the used car place, it stood out as fantastic value for money. I love it!! It's perfect for learning to drive. My dad often comes down to Cheltenham from Tamworth to collect me and the car, he then gives me a lesson as far as the motorway, when he takes over driving. The little car copes VERY well with the motorway and I think Dad quite enjoys driving it. Fuel economgy is fantastic, we get around 55mpg. I find it easy to drive and because of the size, parking and reversing are both a doddle! I don't think I could have picked a better first car. My only issue is that the boot is on the small side. However, with the back seats down there is ample space for a mountain bike!

Sadie Cooper, Gloucestershire, April 4th 2008

5dr

I have had my Kia Picanto for two years now. You cannot beat the value for money running costs. It zooms up the motorway and I even overtake some very fast cars! It is easy to park and we always take it up to London instead of my husband's car. My husband reckons no one would be interested in stealing it! I can thoroughly recommend it and I have had no complaints. It has never let me down (touch wood).

Susan Sang, Hampshire, March 16th 2008

LX 5dr

I have had my picanto now for several months and its our second car as I have a company car , but I must say for a small car its packed with extras , its very good to drive and is nippy around town. Very cheap to run and we get 55 to 60 mpg so great. I would recomend this little car to anyone its a great small faimly car and with the low CO2 rating its cheap to tax.

SEAN NOON, EAST SUSSEX, March 13th 2008

LX 5dr

Ive had my picanto for just over 8 months and in that time i has proved itself very well. i regualy travel to an from germany form the north east of england and for the type of car it is, it holds its own on the auto barn vey well. for my first car i made the right choice gting my picanto. the only down side i would say is that if you need a decent size boot you may strugle. but with the back seats folded all th way down its gives you more than enough space. i would recomend someone looking for a small car to have a look at one if not buying one of these fun little cars.

Joe Fussey, Yorkshire, March 10th 2008

LS 5dr

I Love my little car . its a brilliant little run around , my model is a picanto 1.1 Glamour, 5 door, i bought it second hand from a kia dealers in August '07, it came with Alloys , rear spoiler and skirting , its a 55 reg and only had 5000 miles on the clock ,personally i think its a nippy little car considering the size of the engine , i used to do a lot of miles a week going to and from work all motorway driving , it keeps up with all the other cars , ok its a bit sluggish going up hills but what can you expect from a 1.1 , i dont find the noise at high speeds too bad , ive driven worse , i do admit that the boot space could be a bit bigger , but that would mean sacrificing the leg room in the rear seats , and id rather have my passengers be comfortable , ive fitted three in the back with ease and space , The dash board is very basic but has lots of nooks and crannies to store all you need , its been a good runner , you make savings all round with this car , on the price of the car , the road tax , the insurance , the fuel , after this car my next one will deffinately be another Kia Picanto . ive had VW's, Fords , mercedes , but this car is the only car that i have had that i will get again !its the best little car you could buy .

Lisa Hatton, West Sussex, March 5th 2008