5 2 5dr

After a long search and test drives of many vehicles I decided to purchase KIA RIO 1.25L, 2015 facelift. The car performs brilliantly for such a small engine. Contrary to the reviews in WhatCar and in other websites I found many of the criticised attributes much better than the reviewers stated. May be the manufacturer has since then improved those criticised areas or it is just the reviewers opinion. In my opinion the engine performs smoothly and pulls brilliantly from rather low RPM. For example, if you are approaching a junction in 2nd gear with ~1100 rpm and you want to accelerate, the car will pull decently. If you approach in 3rd gear with 1300 rpm and you want to accelerate again the car pulls well enough. It is smooth at least up to 2500 RPM (brand new car, I did not want to race the engine). Apparently this CVVT technology does miracles. Gearing is excellent. 5th gear is almost as the 6th in other cars. Road handling, considering sensible driving, is brilliant (I am not driving around cones!). Few negative things: The factory-fitted tyres have 70db noise (noticeable). Rear seats when folded leave a step. The car was not offered in my market with map-reading lights. The red backlight of the sound system and display in the instrument cluster has poor viewing angle bleeding light when viewed at angle. Overall a very good car. Highly recommended. I hope it proves reliable too.

James Blue, January 25th 2015

CRDi 2 EcoDynamics 5dr

Bought this to replace an Aygo which I loved and had few issues in 5 years. Since getting the Rio in october 2012 it's been back to the dealer 3 times with problems with the ignition coils, the fuel efficiency isnt as good as advertised by quite a way, my brakes are squeaking intermittently (another trip to the garage!) and to cap it all my front numberplate has just fallen off! Now there's a chance it got pulled off but even so it was just stuck on with double sided tape, doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in the car!

Jill Savage, February 22nd 2014

CRDi 3 EcoDynamics 5dr

I have been driving 3 Ford Fiestas over the last 5 years ranging from a 1.25 81bhp Zetec, a 1.4 95 bhp Zetec and a 1.6 Diesel 89 bhp Titanium and for good measure an Audi A3 1.4TFSI Sportback Sport. All excellent cars and all have their talents. I have purchased a Kia Rio 1.4 Diesel 3 5 Door and whilst it won't set the world on fire I have to say it drives very well in fact it is much more involving than the Audi I had which had a very poor ride and the engine lacked the torque of the Kia and the steering was so light and you couldn't feel anything. Refinement is another point, on the What Car review it mentions the Kia is unrefined and noisy, not sure why this is, at 70mph the Kia is so quiet I struggled to hear the diesel engine, handling is very involving, the steering is well weighted and to be open this feels better than the Fiesta Diesel I had which had heavy steering and no feel. Ride quality is very good to. Would recommend this car to anyone. Just a point though, the top model is very well specified with more upmarket dash panel, 17 inch wheels so feels more secure on the road and the 1.4 diesel engine is better than the 1.4 Petrol.

Mark Haworth, December 23rd 2013

5 1 3dr

This is not going to be a long detailed review, whatcar sum it up pretty well. I'm just going to mention my bad bits. Worse bit for any potential buyer is the fact that when you buy this car you'll love it... UNTIL you pull up along side the first time car buying teenage couple in the same model. It had to go and has in fact now gone, part ex'd after 6 months. It was a bit drastic I know but that event was not the only factor but merely the straw that broke the middle aged drivers back! On the plus side I only lost £2395 due to depreciation, not bad really. The main reason I bought the car was for running costs, previous car was a large engine Alfa and our family car is a Jeep so we needed something practical to pop t'shops in. I was happy with the interior which was less noisy than a Punto and very modern and quality looking for a budget model. The biggest problem was the fuel economy, its figures are a complete lie, they may be achievable only if you're prepared to be overtaken by lorries on the motorway. I was lucky to get 39mpg combined from this car, I live rural and have a number of rural roads to drive before arriving in town, driving some 16 miles to get there. Other regular driving is village to next village with 6 miles of clear motorway between them. Finally a regular trip to family 385 miles away mainly on the M6 was to prove fatal for the Rio's economy by costing exactly the same as our previous Mini Cooper S Clubman cost. Basically if you're under 21 its fine.

steven mackay, September 15th 2013

5 1 5dr

steven mackay, September 15th 2013

5 2 3dr

Just had to 'right' the injustices written in the Whatcar review, which adopts a downbeat tone for this car (whereas the Whatcar write-ups for the Fiesta/Audi A3/ Polo adopt an upbeat tone, for some reason.) My Rio has got to be the most well rounded car I've ever owned. Everything, with few exceptions is 'just right'. Contrary to what Whatcar says, the suspension is actually very good, absorbing bumps and potholes well. The 1.25 petrol engine is not 'boomy' but actually very quiet. The cabin is well insulated from road noise and is big enough not to treat rear passengers as second-class citizens. 'Safety and Security' are exemplary and yet Whatcar drops a star. 'Equipment' is very good and yet Whatcar drops two stars. Notchy gearshift?-pure fiction. The worst thing about the car is the lightness of the steering, gearshift and accelerator pedal, all of which detract from the driving pleasure. And rear visibility is poor. Other niggles are the weak horn, which sounds just plain embarassing, and the decimal point on the dash display read-out is too small! I get 46mpg for frequent short trips, which I find acceptable. But look at the depreciation figures people! I reckon depreciation is very low. After all the practical considerations, however, the best thing about the Rio is the way it looks. Park it next to a Mini and see how hackneyed the Mini looks. I should add that my car is too new to me to comment on reliability.

MICHAEL HEATHCOTE, Cheshire, July 22nd 2013

ISG 3 5dr

What can I say! The Wife LOVES this car, and I really like it too! Had it from new in July (nearly 7 months). Not sure why people think the Fiesta is more "fun" to drive (what on earth are they on about?!) By far the best deal on a new car as far as we could find, with the comparative Fiesta (with all the options added which are standard on the 3) would have been over £4K more! The Polo (which we originally wanted) nearly 5K more. A total "No brainer" as far as we were concerned. Driving wise, yes you have to work it, but then you do with all these car's with the smaller engines irrespective of make. Not sure the wife would approve of me "working" it like I do when she is not there, but I do get it to "go" and handling is absolutely fine. Not sure why the Video reveiwer is so "down" on it. I do not find it "lifeless and dull". Has all the "toys" you would want (more than on my own company VW Passat SE Bluemotion Tech) like rear parking sensers, heated seats, climate contol, rear privacy glass, etc.

Ashley Brown, January 21st 2013

Ashley Brown, January 21st 2013

CRDi GS 5dr

Kia Rio 1.4L I bought this car primarily because it was the cheapest car available at two years old and I needed to buy one in a hurry after my old car got written off. But the car has pleasantly surprised me. The 1.4L petrol engine is exceptional contrary to the whatcar review. It's powerful and torquey if you keep it in the right gear. Transmission is very good but the first gear is notchy. Therefore it's not too pleasant to drive in slow traffic. My commute consists of urban and A roads and motorways. I get 38mpg if I drive it hard and 42 if I drive it with a light foot. Car is spacious in the front and rear. Boot is large too. Cabin has two ceiling lights. There's a seat-belt reminder, five headrests, 40/60 split seats and there is a light in the boot. Car's weight to power ratio is impressively spot on. And in my experience it shames many larger engines. Car's looks are grannyish. Interior is bland. Seats could be more supportive and comfortable. It needs a sixth gear though. Engine revs high at motorway speeds. You need to turn the stereo high to subdue the tyre roar. All in all it's a lot of car for the money. I will buy from the manufacturer again.

Fawad Ahmad, Kent, December 18th 2012

CRDi 3 EcoDynamics 5dr

I have recently purchased the new Kia Rio. I have had to wait almost 4 months for it all the way from korea, but it definately was worth the wait. I had mine in solid white paint and it looks lovely with the white led daytime running lights, plus the 17 inch 5 spoke blade chopper alloys. Very pleased with it. One thing that hit me almost immediately was how good the ride is and the refinement on various types of road surfaces. I would say it feels like a £18,000+ vehicle Im driving with howgood the ride and refinement is. Engine noise is kept to a whisper, I did think been a diesel it would abit noisy, but you get the impression the car is petrol with how quiet it is. Bulid quality is great on a par with japanese quality and the attention to detail in the cabin and fit and finish inside and out is excellent. The steering is heavyish, but responsive and involving at the same time. For a 1.4 Crdi I am extremely impressed with the mid range pull. A tad slow around low revs to pick up, but you forget about that as it just a nice place to be. Stop/start system is unusual, as I have never had a vehicle with it on before, but you can see where it saves you money, when sitting in traffic as I regularly do. I had a ford fiesta zetec s tdci before, had it for 3 years and that had no end of problems. (This being the latest fiesta) The kia rio is a much better car to drive and more upmarket feel, far quieter to.I must say Im blowen away with how good it really is. Recommend it to anyone

Robert Perrett, West Midlands, February 3rd 2012

3 5dr

This is a great buy for the money. Loaded with kit, and in silver it looks great with those big machined alloys and dark rear tints. The LED running lights actually look at home in the headlamp cluster instead of an afterthought (Ford, Citroen etc.). I wouldn't recommend the red that Kia have used in all their promotional material, presumably to appeal to the younger buyer - it doesn't look metallic, despite the additional cost. The 17" wheels make the ride on the firm side, and yes, the steering is a little vague on the straight, but I find I've got used to the way it handles and I'm beginning to really enjoy the driving experience. Not something you could have said about the porridge-based previous generation Rio. Though not quick, the acceleration through the gears doesn't feel frustratingly slow either, and the car still pulls well even in 6th gear. The interior is certainly up to the standard of the Fiesta and Corsa, if a little quirky looking, and miles ahead of Seat. Fuel economy is as expected, i.e. nothing like the published figures. I manage around 46mpg in mixed driving which I think is perfectly acceptable for this size of car. The only quibble I have - you'll need those optional rear parking sensors if you go for 1 or 2 trim unless you're used to viewing the world through a letterbox. That rear window really is tiny viewed from the driver's seat, and the reversing light is pretty weak. All in all though, thoroughly recommended. 7 year warranty! 3 services £259!!!

Paul Scott, Surrey, November 30th 2011

Paul Scott, Surrey, November 30th 2011

ISG 3 5dr

Definitely worth considering. While handling and road-holding are reasonable rather than exceptional, the car is extremely good looking and is well built. The interior is just about the best in cars of this sector of the market; roomy, well designed, quiet and comfortable, The higher spec. models are extremely well equipped for the purchase price and the 7 year warranty is unbeatable. Doesn't handle as well as a Ford Fiesta, but for just about any other reason, should be seriously considered.

John Foden, West Midlands, October 21st 2011

John Foden, West Midlands, October 21st 2011

LX 5dr

Bought this car 1 month after i passed my test as insurance was extremely low for such a big car mostly due to the small engine. The 1.3 performs best mid range and offers quite good acceleration, however when accelerating from the lights it's quite slow. Gearbox is ok however it is quite hard to get into 5th sometimes, handling is probably the worst part of the driving experience as the Rio rolls when going any speed above 25mph. The interior is very spacious although rear leg room has been sacrificed for more boot space, car can fit a mountain bike in it with the seats folded down! Equipment is decent enough and the boot 12v socket is handy. One problem i found with the Rio is that no after market part fits it without a fight, want new wheel trims? be prepared to take all the wheels off to take the old wheel trims off then, want mud flaps? Don't bother. Styling of the Rio is to an acquired taste but i think it looks pretty sleek although nice alloys would make a big difference. Overall for an 18 year old like me i think this is a great car, cheap to insure, good on petrol, quick enough not to bore you, plenty of room for camping and rather impressive speakers for a budget car, there isn't any other car that can match the cost to run and space of the Rio for under 1.5k !

dale edginton, Wiltshire, March 15th 2011

Chill 5dr

Bought this car new 9/09 and have been really pleased with it. It has everything I need and for £8000 it is one of the better buys I have made. Insurance is only £160, the 1.4 petrol engine is nippy and is comfortable on motorways. I get about 40mpg and friends have bought one after seeing it. Ok it is not a BMW or Merc but is probably more reliable. The suspension can be a little hard on town bumps but is sweet on the open road. There is more room front and back than most cars this size and is a comfortable car.

ian blair, aberdeenshire, October 5th 2009

CRDi LX 5dr

I've had a 1.5 diesel for the last 18 months and I still cant get over the ooomph that this little hatchback has! If you dont believe me, please go test drive one and put your foot as far down to the floor as you dare. (I should say I've also taken a 1.4 out for a spin - but that was very poor by comparison. Underpowered. So avoid the petrol version). MPG is also very good and, so far, I've had no problems with it. Not a one. The only downside is, perhaps, the interior. I've got airbags all over and the CD etc.. is fine. The seats are nice and supportive. Much better than the car I had before. But the plastic is, well, plasticky and a bit too plasticky at that. Had Kia stuck in a posher trim this car would be the bees knees!

David Ewing, January 5th 2009

5dr

Further to the above I have today (18/11/08) received a phone call from Kia UK telling me that they will not honour this issue under warranty. If poor geometry on a new car which causes tyres to go bald in 9000 miles is not a warranty issue, WHAT IS!! I am posting this to help other prospective Kia customers make up their own minds as to the value of Kia's warranty. Next time I shall stick to Citroen/Peugeot which I deeply regret not having done so 9 months ago.

Chris Fiorentini, Inverness-shire, November 18th 2008

5dr

Earlier this year I purchased a new Kia Rio 1.4 Ice automatic. Until now I have had no warranty issues and the car seemed pleasant and nice to drive, despite the rather disappointing fuel consumption.Last week I noticed that the front offside tyre was completely bald on its inner rim.I immediately brought this to the attention of my local Kia dealer and they booked the car in for inspection.They did supply me with the loan of a nice Picanto courtesy car. I assumed that this work would have been covered by their guarantee, not to mention the cost of a new tyre, which is now illegal. When I went to pick up the car I was told the chamber was OK and the wheel alignment had to be adjusted as it was out on the O/S front wheel.Imagine my surprise to find that they had swapped the bald tyre around with one on the back! and then informed me that this was not a warranty issue and would have to pay for the work. I agreed to pay a reduced fee and would bring the matter up with Kia the following day. Kia also informed me that it was not covered by their warranty. I feel I have been cheated, as I am a very careful driver and could not have induced this fault without the damage being obvious on the tyre (pot hole strike etc) I am writing this review to warn other prospective Kia customers to consider the value of their warranty. I will update this review if I hear from Kia.

Chris Fiorentini, Inverness-shire, November 12th 2008

CRDi LS 5dr

Here is my 2nd review, changed my 56 for a 08 plate and moved up the range to the LS, completed 13 in the last 3 months and just had 1st service. Good points - engine is now slightly detuned so road tax comes down to £35 year and fuel economy is slightly better, still goes like the wind. 15" Alloys and fatter tyres make the handling better, tyres do not scrub off this time (different make) Interior seats are excellent and new radio with MP3 is very good. Service interval now 12.5k not 10k Bad points - Except drivers window button the lights on the control panel do not work (despite change of panel it is normal apparently) and a very annoying rattle in 5th gear from under the dash (garage yet to locate) Overall still a very good car

stephen gowling, lincolnshire, September 12th 2008