Land Rover Discovery (04 - present) Owner reviews

We have just bought our third consecutive Discovery; one Discovery 3, two Discovery 4's. The latest a 4 XS, a 2012 plate with only 5k miles on the clock so more or less like new. We took some time to look at other 4x4s before opting for another Disco. The problem is, with the exception of the Toyota Landcrusier and the Mercedes GL, there is really nothing that can compare with the Disco for practicality, comfort and space. We drive down to the French Alps where we have a holiday home twice a year; 13 hours door to door. We can transport 5 in comfort (teenagers & adults), our 120 lb pet dog (about as big as they get) and luggage by using the boot dividing cage - nothing compares to this. During the ski season, the Disco is unsurpassed in the winter & snow conditions. Yes its expensive to run (avergaing 27mpg)and its becoming a little dated in design, but it does exactly 'what it says on the tin'. I have towed boats, bike racks, roof boxes and a box trailer stuffed with furniture across the European continent - the Disco hardly blinks. My only gripe would be the electronics on the first two cars played up several times, but LandRover service did sort them out and service quality is excellent. We haven't risked going beyond 70k miles and 4 years old on any of them for fear of big bills with age, but the resale values are so high that 3-4 years usage is perfect and allows you to move on to the next. The 2015 model would be interesting, but what about price??? Stick to a Disco 4.

Ian Symes, July 28th 2014

SDV6 255 GS 5dr Auto

Ian Symes, July 28th 2014

SDV6 XS 5dr Auto

After having this car for just over three years now from new, I can safely say that this is more reliable than the Mercedes ML it replaced. After only visiting the dealer for routine maintenance during this time I have found the vehicle to be extremely capable and very spacious. Wind noise can be a problem on motorways but this is more than compensated when you take into account engine noise and tyre noise generally. Running costs are a little higher and just slightly concerned that the tyres could go a little further even though using the Pirelli Zero High Performance tyres as originally fitted. After a trip to watch England V Wales at Twickenham with six adults in the vehicle we found that the space was excellent and performance was very good even with two largish lads in the boot. I believe this to be the test of a true 7 seater, we could have easily fitted another person in the vehicle if we were taking more people. Even with the rear seats up there is still plenty of space for extras and the number of storage compartments around the vehicle is really good. Currently awaiting delivery of a new Disco in September to replace this vehicle and the first time I have bought a second model of the same vehicle from the same manufacturer before. Beware of older reviews as the newer models have certainly changed and improved beyond belief. In my opinion the best seven seater in the market and a good 4x4.

Derek Saunders, June 30th 2014

TDV6 HSE 5dr Auto

I have had my Disco 4 for over 3 years and had a Disco 3 before that. The Disco 3 was great and the 4 is much better. I have a large family and do regular long haul trips and I have never had a single problem with this car. I use it off road but mainly use it as a tough family workhorse. It is supremely capable and versatile and I would not change it unless forced to by mechanical failure. As stated the car's reliability has been faultless over the past 47000 miles. I would hate to have to go back to driving an everyday car, I have had other SUVs but for me nothing else can compare to my Disco. Some people seem intent on slating Land Rover's service and reliability ratings and in general folk seem to be more vocal when disgruntled rather than happy but my experience has been wholly positive and thought I should add my review. Totally loving this car.

Robert Tobin, July 30th 2013

SDV6 GS 5dr Auto

This is the wife's car and she has had 6-7 L/R Discoveries since approximately from 95........every model from the first one. I have driven this Discovery 4 .....What an improvement this vehicle is on ALL previous models, like chalk and cheese. Over the moon with engine upgrade, dashboard etc, The vehicle drives equally as good as my BMW X5 and I am seriously contemplating switching from BMW to RR sport for myself next change. The engine power and smoothness of the L/R 4 IS STREETS ABOVE EARLIER MODELS. Well done L/R you have come a long way in the last 20 years with the Discovery.

kevin hope, south glam, July 19th 2013

SDV6 HSE Luxury 5dr Auto

kevin hope, south glam, July 19th 2013

SDV6 255 HSE 5dr Auto

Purchased an β€˜approved used’ 2.7 V6 Automatic (3 Β½ years old) from the Main Dealer complete with six month warranty (I guess this should have set the alarm bells ringing). Well impressed, lovely car to drive with stunning looks. Took it to the dealer for the mot; suspension problem Β£1’500.00. I later checked the DVLA website for the past mot; issued by the same dealer and noted the suspension problem as an advisory; I’d been sold a lemon. The electronic parking brake failed soon after Β£750 at independent garage. The suspension continued to be a problem, bearing failed, tyres endlessly replaced (worn on one edge). Lots of niggling electrical issues then catastrophy; turned key engine sounded strange, (no warning lights) engine off; car recovered to main dealer. Oil casing needs replacement Β£720 followed by sorry sir engine broken Β£10’000.00 (reconditioned unit), not impressed! Independent garage Β£7’600.00 can do the work once I’ve finished replacing the engine on the Landrover Sport. This is a common problem! Asked Landrover for a contribution, three days later Sorry Sir NO. Marvellous Β£23’000.00 worth of vehicle reduced to scrap in two years! Wish I’d never walked into their showroom.

Jon Thorne, Bridgend, May 10th 2013

Td V6 SE 5dr Auto

We have an 11 plate Disco (so have had it 2 years now) and it is, hands downs, the best car we've ever had. It is luxurious, powerful, practical and has never missed a beat on snow, mud, sand, you name it...! Our local dealers have been very helpful every step of the way (although the car has only ever been in for its scheduled service), but that said, there is no denying it costs a lot to run (Β£365 for each snow tyre! Which we never bought and never needed). We have friends who have (more expensive) X5s, Merc MLs etc. but they are just not the car the Disco is. The extra seats can be put up and down in 20 seconds and there is still enough room behind them for a couple of small cases or a large-ish weekly shop (we have two growing boys!). If you have the money I really wouldn't think twice, whatever you have heard about older Discos does not apply to this car - it's fantastic!

Louisa Davies, Aberdeenshire, March 25th 2013

Td V6 GS 5dr

I've had the SDV6 XS for just over a week and cranked out a 100 miles per day since I've had it. I had a 2009 Disco 4 XS before that. Sadly I sold that and spent a year driving a "regular" car and missed my Disco the whole time. The old Disco 4 was no slouch, but the new power plant is so much better. Getting out at busy junctions or nipping past a slow moving vehicle on a twisting country lane is no problem at all. As before, motorway cruising is sublimely comfortable and utterly effortless. I drove from Lincoln to Holyhead and then from Dublin to Cork in my old XS and was sad when I had to get out. The new XS feels every bit as comfortable and just as wonderful to drive. I'm 6' tall and not a small man in other ways too, but the seats are superbly comfortable. Add to that the huge windows and high up driving position making visibility second to none. It also makes a huge difference when driving at night too. No more being dazzled. I had a couple of minor niggles on the older car but nothing major and they were sorted out quickly and without fuss by the dealer. Touch wood nothing on he new one.However the old car took a lot of punishment, through Irish bogs, moors and mountains. I know everyone moans at running costs and I know they are not cheap but quite frankly you are getting 3 cars for the price of 1. Executive cruiser. Unstoppable 4x4. Superb family wagon and work horse. Landy got it absolutely right. Why drive a car when you can drive a Land Rover?

Keith Lister, December 23rd 2011

SDV6 XS 5dr Auto

Update. Car is now almost 3 years old and covered 66k miles. A couple of problems arisen since the last review but all dealt with vey quickly and efficiently by LR. The first was a total fail to start one afternoon - a simple reset of the ECU sorted that one and it hadn't happened since. The other was a turbo failure which resulted in a long journey (in time, not miles) in a very slow limp- home mode. 10days in a brand new rr sport courtesy car and a repair under warranty resolved that one. The vehicle is otherwise perfect- everything still works nothing has fallen off ( except the extremely poorly thought out cover for the towing electrics sockets) and it drives just as it did on day one. Can't recommend it highly enough.

paul smart, November 13th 2010

TDV6 HSE 5dr Auto

I Own an 08 Disco, and to put it frankly, it's the best 4x4 I have ever owned. With the type of business I run. I need a 4x4 for both normal driving and off road. I have had a few other 4x4 from other manufacturers and non can come close to the all day comfort. This car has transported me throughout the UK and Ireland and never skipped a beat. I have a big family. My wife and four kids and my two dogs have been up north with me into the highlands and at no point did any complain of discomfort (Anyone with kids will know exactly what I am talking about). Only one small niggle was the fact the rear discs had a "High spot" causing the automatic handbrake not to disengage but after one phone call to Taggarts Land Rover in Motherwell, the team had my car collected and returned to me after only a couple of hours, fixed. Now thats what i call service!! I will be buying another one of these next year to replace this one.

Alasdair Cook, South Lanarkshire, February 5th 2009

Td V6 GS 5dr

A few niggles during my ownership from new in 2004 - nothing that I would not likely have encountered with another vehicle, but the current problem is frustrating - the car is off road because there are no spare parts available! It is apparently known that the wiring loom can be problematic because it travels through the rocker cover i.e. is in oil ... unusual? Over time the loom has broken down, oil entered and reached the EMU, car misfires. No problem, my 3rd party warranty will pay (Land Rover’s would not have covered this - beware!) so I authorised the work on 19th December 2008. So far, the parts were unavailable on the 2nd Jan, now the 10th has been put back with a possible delivery of 10th Feb' 2009. I have sympathy for my main dealer; they cannot get the parts and in turn cannot work on my car, return it to me and be paid. I'm in the dealer's courtesy 2-wheel drive, no traction control etc. tidily Skoda - acceptable for a week or so but is now (particularly in the current climate) beyond a joke - no surprise the dealership does not sign-write the car as a courtesy vehicle! I will not be given a 'product car' because there are none available (presumably they are with other 'victims' who are awaiting parts, plus the dealer appears concerned about just how long I will be in their car ... hardly encouraging! I'm not in a Land Rover through no fault of my own ... other than buying a Land Rover (for the past 10+ years). Time to write to the company directors ...

Philip Swift, Kent, January 9th 2009

Td5 Pursuit 7 seat 5dr

Awful package placed over supposedly great drive train. The additional bad news is that the drive train isn't great either. There are easier gear changes on a Morris Minor. Buttons, storage etc are placed in the cabin as if by someone with a bindfold and the Austin Allegro parts bin. It's best to put the ignition key in before stepping into the vehicle unless you have an extra joint in your arm. A few ex Rover drivers swear by them. Normal folk just swear. Surpriringly didn't break down.... pity. Most enjoyable part of ownership is selling it.

Richard Evans, January 4th 2009

Td5 Pursuit 7 seat 5dr

Hopefully, this will enlighten customers about our bad experiences, and also let other Land Rover Discover owners list there problems and grievances, so that prospective purchases of Land Rover products can see what they could be letting themselves in for, and subsequently that Land Rover realise the discontent of its customers and thus improve the reliability of the cars they manufacture and the after-car they provide for their customers, without whom, they would be out of business. We feel that the product is fantastic in theory, but the practicalities of owning the car make the purchase of a Land Rover Discover a really bad and costly mistake.

glenn board, November 28th 2008

Td V6 SE 5dr Auto

This has to be one of the best 4x4's out there, and I test drove them all before settling on the Disco. It's not PC from an environment perspective but it's British built! SAFETY - Disappointing not to get 5 euroncap stars, but it feels solid and there is a lot of metal between you and the road. Accident avoidance is excellent with a great view of the road ahead, and lots of safety gizmos. With the All Terrain Response I feel confident that bad weather risk will be reduced in the Disco. COMFORT - Superb electric memory seats with lumbar. Everybody is comfy including the rear seat passengers. Steering wheel is poorly shaped and a little uncomfortable to use. DRIVING- Slow, but you never feel the urge to drive fast in a car like this anyway. MPG is poor but acceptable on balance with what the car does. Cruise control is disappointing - Adaptive Cruise as an option would be nice LR??! PRACTICALITY - Exceptional. 7 proper seats, and masses of space. Other than a ford transit van, it doesnt get more practical than this. TECHNOLOGY - It comes with satnav, bi-directional xenons, heated seats front and back, digi TV, harmon kardon sound system, BT phone, and sunroof. All work well but would work a LOT better if everything was controlled from a single point like in BMW and Audi brand cars. OVERALL - A superb luxury workhorse that deserves all the awards and glowing reviews it has received. Unless your unlucky enough to buy a lemon of course!

Paul Clemence, November 14th 2008

Td V6 HSE 5dr Auto

I hired a discovery 3 for a day; my company carry out work for the MoD and we took it "proper" off road on the Army training ground "Salisbury Plain". Well on road the car was nice; no real complaints. But if you want a proper off roader this is not for you. The center diff will not permanently lock therefore it is not a 4x4as all 4 wheels do not get drive. The fancy electronics were inept, the car got stuck twice purely due to the electronics not begin up to the job - just needs a button so the driver can manually lock the diff - the electronic brain just could not stand the pace! If all you do is drive ON ROAD this car is good but it is a CAR and not a 4x4. PS compared to my BMW the cabin is very cheap plastic. Next time we will be hiring a Toyota Hilux.

michael taylor, November 3rd 2008

Td V6 HSE 5dr Auto

My second Discovery V8, after a '91 3.5, now used as an offroad toy. Yes - the V8's thirsty, but as another reviewer mentioned - if fuel economy is your primary concern, go buy a diesel hatchback! With LPG being much cheaper than unleaded, I average the "equivalent" of 32mpg, and nearly 40mpg (equiv) on the occasional gentle cruise - for a two-ton plus 4x4 that's impressive. DVLA class the car as "alternative fuel" rather than "bi-fuel" so I escape the worst of the "green" road tax hikes. Comparing the accelaration/handling/braking to a "normal" car is pointless. I'd trade all for the excellent all-round visibility! That said, if you don't mind the fuel bills, the V8 will push the car along at illegal speeds, and ACE means that she stays flat through corners too :-) Every Disco 2 I've driven (TD5 and V8) has a similar feel to the brakes - even the dealers say "they all do that"... I'll be flushing the brake system completely when I change the discs and pads, so maybe that will help, as the current fluid is two years old... Aside from service items, in two years I've replaced: rear suspension compressor (Β£130 for a new one off ebay!) aircon compressor (Β£300 - due to a failed electronic clutch). I've experienced none of the woes that other reviewers have mentioned, and I'm pleased with the reliability, given that my Disco can be daily commuter, tow car, van, MPV...

Rob Ferguson, Kent, October 6th 2008

V8i ES 7 seat 5dr Auto

I ave owned this car from new (Mar 05) and would say that it's the best car I've ever owned (my Morris Minor excepted!). It's proved to be ideal for transporting 4 kids + dog on long distances & around town, and when deployed the seating really does provide 7 full-size seats with plenty of leg room (ideal for teenagers!), unlike the claims of some other manufacturers. The luggage space is huge, in the past I've filled it with 2 sofas & furniture easily with no difference to handling. I've had 100% reliability and Land Rover could not be more helpful on the times I've contacted them. I must say I think that the much publicised Land Rover reliability issues are a myth, as when I've spoken to other owners they've had the same experience as me. The criticisms on this forum seem hasty & ill-judged. I've no complaints - this is a great car.

Kelvin Clayson, October 5th 2008

Td V6 SE 5dr Auto

Having driven BMW's for the last 15 years I was a little apprehensive about switching to Landrover as I had heard rumours about build quality on earlier models. However my fears were unfounded as my Discovery XS is without doubt the best car I have ever driven. It has everything I want and need in a car, luxury, safety, versatility, excellent build quality and enough toys to keep me happy!. However my biggest suprise was economy. Given that it is, by any standards a BIG car I was prepared for the worst particularly during the time between ordering my vehicle and taking delivery when the price fuel increased from 90+ pence per litre to Β£1.30 per litre. Having driven 4000 miles to date I am averaging 33.5 miles to the gallon, not bad when my wife's 1.4 Fiesta (albeit petrol) delivers 39.7 miles to the gallon. I'm impressed by everything about this car.

David Cheeseman, Staffordshire, October 3rd 2008

Td V6 XS 5dr [Leather]

Hi i have a XS 57 plate discovery 3 it is 8 months old has done 6000 mls i would like to no if anyone has experienced problems with contaminated fuel in the last 3mths as this has happened to mine twice now just to let every one no landrover warrant does not cover this and i had to go through my insurance and you wil only get a repacement car for 24hrs or until they find out this is the problem the car now needs a new engine the car is in a approved landrover dealer and the ins will not give me a hire car because they r main dealers leaving me with out a car

Robert Mc Bride, September 24th 2008