Land Rover Freelander (06 - 14) Owner reviews

Bought the car new in October 2014. Iv'e covered just under 7000 miles so far and the car has been faultless. I love the build quality, ride comfort is excellent, plenty of power from the SD4 engine, space is good in the rear and the boot is fine for 2 dogs in a dog box. The off road ability is brilliant, in the snow this winter it gave me complete confidence. The only slight drawback is the fuel consumption but it is a big heavy car and it is an auto.

Jamie Colman, Cheshire, April 11th 2015

SD4 SE Tech 5dr Auto

I am currently on my third Freelander 2; one Company Car, followed by 2 that I have owned myself. At around 35,000 miles a year, these cars are not cheap to fuel, especially living in a hilly area; a TD4 manual will return 32-42 mpg (depending on circumstances) and my current SD4 auto, around 29-39 mpg. Most commonly returned figures are around 31 and 34mpg respectively. Fortunately, tyre, insurance and maintenance costs are all very fair. Off road capability is (predictably) superb, with only slightly limited ground clearance and a lack of low range being major restrictions. Comfort is brilliant, with only the seats being too small and a little flat and firm being the minor irritation. Those on my current HSE Lux are MUCH better. Predictably, reviews say that the HSE Lux is too expensive but, if seat comfort is important to you, then it's worth considering the extra. Space is good, with only limited rear leg room being a problem. The boot is plenty big enough. Handling is superb for this kind of car, with only a little vagueness around the straight ahead at speed being an issue for those unfamiliar with 4x4's Reliability? Slightly mixed, varying from mostly very good, to an incurable misfire (on my last one) which involved Land Rover subsidising a trade in to the HSE Lux. Would I buy another? Darn right I would!! After a total of around 120,000 miles in these cars I can't see what I'd replace it with. I hope to have my current one to 200-250,000 miles! Highly recomm

John Hooker, Cornwall, November 23rd 2014

SD4 HSE 5dr Auto

Good stuff: you sit high, seats are very comfortable, stereo (825 watts) quite sufficient for Classic FM, large door mirrors, plently of gadgets, adequately fast, handles well (even round corners - don't agree with the What Car report), wind noise really isn't too bad and you feel very safe in a car that can tackle most road or off-road conditions. Bad stuff: Fuel consumption is far worse that estimated, it is a large car so be careful, the boot is fine for two people but for a family of 4 you need to look at an estate, it doesn't come with a spare tyre just some sort of inflatable pump that looks like it should be attached to Darth Vader.

Edsard Peel, February 20th 2014

SD4 HSE 5dr Auto

A change of circumstances meant a swap from a new shape X5 diesel to an 04 Freelander and you know what I prefer it. It doesn't have acres of space inside, but it has enough room for it to be comfortable for 4. The driving position I find very comfortable and the ergonomics work very well. The ride is superb and it actually handles rather well as long as you hang on! Being a HSE it has all the bells and whistles including sat nav and bluetooth. I had the td4 diesel remapped to current spec so it goes very nicely and it does 40 mpg as well. Service costs have been excellent using a top independent Land Rover dealer. It's 10 years old, there isn't a mark on it and not wishing to jinxs the old girl, after 8 months nothing has gone wrong with it. It's reliable, all works as it should and best of all it is so nice to fit into a parking space and be able to open the door to get out! Would I recommend one to a friend? Actually yes!

Sel Jones, Berks, February 19th 2014

Td4 HSE Station Wagon 5dr

I love my Freelander. I always wanted one as liked the look and when went for test drive liked the feel. I bought an ex demo from Hunters Landrover Guildford back in 2006 with 5K on the clock. Have done 86,000 miles now and car has been great. A few issues like fuel pumps have needed replacing, servicing i think is pricey and yes a few rattles and things but a great car to drive and has looked after me well.

James Black, Surrey, February 9th 2014

Td4 Adventurer Hardback 3dr

What a disappointing car and a disappointing Land Rover dealer. This was my fourth Land Rover and it and the dealer went against the image Land Rover would like to project. The car was purchased new in June 2013. A horrible gearbox, under powered with inadequate forward lighting, a farm tractor could easily beat it from a standing start such as at road junctions and traffic lights. The pluses were a comfortable ride with superb off-road ability, that was all. The experience started with the Land Rover dealer's printer being down on my first visit so I was unable to get a printed quote. When I called to pick-up the car I had to sign for it for it before seeing it. On seeing it for the first time I noticed that some of the options I had ordered were not fitted and was told that that was the car that I had just signed for. I have now, some 6 months later, traded it in, losing several thousand pounds in the process, and now have a Freelander 2 SD GS with front fog lights and headlamp washers and am so far delighted with the more powerful engine and auto gearbox.

eric reddock, January 30th 2014

Td4 GS 5dr

I’ve owned my 57 plate Freelander 2 GS Auto since July 2011. It had 25,000 miles on the clock and I covered 53,000 in total now. I had a TD$ before for nearly 7 year and loved it, with now major issues, despite it reputation. Don’t get me wrong a love this car, however, I do have concerns over its overall reliably. It starts first time, every time, so no issue there. However, there have been some minor and majors issues. Firstly the Air Con drain blocked (design fault) = Β£105 Landrover main dealer. Then Rear Diff bearings = Β£545 Landrover main dealer. Recently Main Four Wheel Drive System (breaking front drive shaft) - Β£2,234. Would I buy another….yes, probably would…typical mad Landrover owner

John Eldridge, Surrey, September 12th 2013

i6 GS 5dr Auto

• Average MPG12000 mpg

Bought nearly new exactly a year ago and the model is still advertised at the same price I paid last feb. Cracking motor with a really smart styling kit. Second Land Rover I have owned and I am yet to suffer any reliability problems. It does 34mpg average and you can achieve 40mpg on a long run. I did check out the X3 and Q5 but they just did not do it for me - They lack the Land Rover Heritage. Really can't fault this car in any way. Superb. Just one point, use a local garage with genuine parts for servicing - you will save a fortune over the life of the vehicle and if you keep the receipt breakdown re parts, it should not hurt the resale as much as the cost of Land Rover servicing.

Christian Hughes, Staffs, February 5th 2012

Td4 Sport LE 5dr Auto

I have owned this car for the last three years and have found it meets all my requirements both for off-roading,rough-roading and normal road work. It is very comfortable to drive with plenty of performance for everyday use. It has been totally reliable and only visited the LR Agents for annual service & MOT. Criticsms are few. The dash layout is poor and difficult to see in certain lights. Fuel cosumption is 25mpg on short journeys but rises to 35mpg on motorway and longer journeys. All in all it is the most pleasing car of the 30+ I have owned previously

john white, February 3rd 2012

Td4 HSE 5dr Auto

I have owned this car for a year now and haven't had a single problem. Really enjoy the way it drives and the all round quality feel you get from it. Will definitely buy land rover again

James Brennan, Northumberland, December 7th 2011

Td4 GS 5dr

Always been a Land Rover fan so may be a bit bias. I have an '05 TD4 and do around 500 miles per week on a mix of motorway and A road. I find it very comfortable. The only niggle for the interior was a little rattle that came from the central consol. It's not a bad spec with leather heated seats, heated screens, parking sensors and the hardtop comes off for sunny days. You have to be realistic with costs. It's not the most aerodynamic but still returns better MPG than I thought it would if you don't rush it too much on the M-ways. TAX this year is Β£260 for the year. There are lots of Landy enthusiasts who maintain web pasges dedicated to problem discussion and solutions which can keep costs down as with any main dealer they aren't cheap. As far as I'm concerned - look good, drives well and looking forward to this years snowfall.

Adrian Carter, West Sussex, November 4th 2011

Td4 SE Hardback 3dr

My second Freelander 2, I updated to the new model SD4 XS Automatic in March this year. I never expected to buy the same vehicle twice, but my previous Freelander proved to so comfortable and reliable (see review 27.08.08) there was no other vehicle that I preferred. The new model also offered improved performance and economy, which seemed a bit like having your cake and eating it. A further reason for staying with Land Rover was the excellent resale value my vehicle retained after 3 years and 42,000 miles. So far after 4,000 miles, the new engine is noticeably quieter and the extra performance most appreciated when overtaking. The MPG has increased by an extra 4 mpg over my last model. 32mpg achieved daily and 38 to 40mpg on longer runs. Having not got one puncture in my last Freelander, I took a leap of faith and chose to have the puncture repair kit in my new model rather than have a full size spare wheel, this has increased the boot space available by nearly a third, solving my only gripe with the Freelander. Just as comfortable as my previous model with the added equipment of Sat nav, heated seats and heated front screen to appreciate next winter I am looking forward to life with my new model Freelander. A British vehicle you can be proud to drive and own. Why choose anything else?

David Palmer, August 10th 2011

SD4 XS 5dr Auto

This is my wife's car which we have been running for a year now. The car has been totally faultless and has been a pleasure to own and drive. Just had the first service carried out at a cost of Β£400 which is on the expensive side but we knew this when we researched before buying the car. Dealer experience has been excellent to date from the initial ordering (via an internet broker) through to servicing (the car could not be cleaned after the service so we were offered a free valet on a later date and my wife got a bunch of flowers as an apology). Car is great to drive - very refined (once warmed up), a bit roly poly on the bends but great for long distance cruising. Fuel economy is ok, my wife averages about 32mpg on her short journeys but we regularly get 39mpg on longer runs. XS spec has good equipment levels with front & rear parking sensors, electric heated seats, heated windscreen, powerfold mirrors and sat nav. Winter driving is now a pleasure for my wife - especially with the Terrain Response system which dulls the power in snow/ice mode. We would definitely recommend this car and would certainly by from Landrover again (probably an Evoque)

Ron Macey, Kent, June 27th 2011

Td4 e XS [Nav] 5dr

I have owned the HSE auto for about 2.5 years and during that time it's been used almost exclusively for rural driving. Plus points are the go anywhere ability, which comes into its own during snowy winters in the countryside, comfort and surprisingly good handling on road. But on the negative side the engine has gone into "reduced power" mode twice, both times during cold (below -12c) weather and after driving for about 10 minutes which is apparently a problem with the engine temperature sensors and "not worth fixing" in the words of the local dealer but worse is the simply shocking fuel economy. My average over the life of the car is 23.3mpg with an all time best of 30.8mpg on a long, uninterrupted motorway run at no more than 70mph. In addition, in order to get the most out of the boot space, which is adequate for a car of this footprint, you need to buy the solid cargo barrier so you can stack the car to the roof safely - don't believe the figures alone when comparing! If you can live with the consumption problem then the Freelander is a perfectly acceptable car but I for one will be looking to change in the near future to something with a little more space and a lot less thirst.

William Vandyk, April 27th 2011

Td4 HSE 5dr Auto

Took delivery of my fourth in four years today - the first MY11 Freelander I've owned. Not happy with the colour choice, baltic blue, which seems more purple than I had expected. Interior on the 2011 models is fantastic even without the optional upgraded leather, in terms of comfort and versatility, but many of the finishes in the cabin are quite plasticy. Make sure you get one with sat-nav, it's the best investment you'll ever make. The SD4 engine isn't noticeably different (so far) to the TD4, despite the 40BHP jump. Overall the facelift goes some way to tidy up a model which is already far too dated, and next time round I'll end up going for the new Evoque having become bored with the Freelander's normality. It's a great car which you can depend on in the snow or mud, and the Land Rover name adds desirability and resale value. But somehow the Freelander 2 doesn't quite make it any more. Land Rover should refresh the model in a bigger way before they make a bad name for themselves!

Laurie Mackrell, East Lothian, March 24th 2011

SD4 HSE 5dr Auto

I have owned my 2008 Freelander 2 2.2 diesel GS since July 08. Superb driving car and handles very well. Feels swift underfoot and well balanced on country roads. Pulling power on hills is quite excellent. Quality interior and fabrics on the GS. a GS is best value without doubt. Good range of equipment. I traded in a 06 Discovery 3 as too bulky for the city in its latest design although a great cruiser with height, super diesel engine and comfortable interior. I am mostly driving in small towns and country roads so the FL2 suits me. Parking is alot easier. Could not do without the rear parking sensors so beware buying cheaper models. Rear sensors are essential as I found to my cost in the Discovery. I have had a non starting problem which turned out to be a faulty battery. Once replaced everything was perfect again. The engine and electrics have otherwise been faultless. Overall would recommend this LR 4x4 if you want something a good bit smaller than the Disco. Improvements I would like to see would be a slightly larger boot area. Previous cars 2 Discos, Mercedes ML270 Jaguar X-Type Estate, RAV 4 and the best car in that group was probably Discovery 3.

Nigel Hamilton, Down, February 20th 2009

Td4 GS 5dr

I have owned this car for 18 months, was a little concerned about LR poor rep for reliability, but felt assured by press reviews. Unfortunately all I can say is LR still have significant reliability issues. I've had a series of electrical problems, trim problems, leaks, ranging from a little annoying to extremely inconvenient (car just wouldn't start). The dealers are terrible, I've tried 3 ranging from the Midlands to Berkshire, they don't appear to get customer service, doing what they say they are going to! Must say looking forward to getting rid!

David Shute, February 19th 2009

Td4 HSE 5dr

2004 Automatic td4, comfortable & relaxing to drive.Fuel consumption not quite as good as i would have liked but no worse than previous VW Passat 1.8t sport estate (petrol). Lots of goodies inc heated front screen, part leather seats & 6cd etc. Tow's both my my sons laser dinghies & sailing gear with ease & hauls my 18ft sailing cruiser out of the water without hardly touching the throttle (Passat clutch smelt rather warm doing the same). No reliability problems yet! and BMW derived td4 is a sweet little engine. Do most of my own servicing and fairly straightforward. Wouldn't say parts are much dearer than other vehicles especially if bought online (genuine LR parts).(was a mechanic 20+ years ago so used to modern Landrover technology!!!!!) Overall i am pleased with it and if you want a small capable diesel automatic 4X4 you haven't got much choice.Small Hyundai ones only 2wd in auto & Rav4 no auto version.Think most of the others are too ugly especially the Kia.

Jim Easy, Cambs, February 1st 2009

Td4 SE Station Wagon 5dr

I own the auto version and have had it for approx 18 months with no problems at all. It was a big decision to buy the FL2 but I haven't regretted it for a moment. Although I have driven the FL2 off road, it is on 'normal' roads that I enjoy driving it most. The driving postion is excellent, everything works as it should and I think the fuel economy is good for a genuine 4x4. However, the reason I rate the FL2 so highly is simply because my family and I always feel safe when we are in it, regardless of the weather, traffic, etc.

Colin McLachlan, January 7th 2009

Td4 SE 5dr

I purchased an FL2 namely for towing our caravan, for this it has been a dream. Averaging 32 mpg from Aberdeenshire down to Cheshire in the summer. I have found the the climatic conditions and road speed do affect the MPG, I have had between 31.7 - 44.3 mpg. My previous vehicle a SAAB (PETROL) would only give between 16 -18 mpg whilst towing. Our vehicle was involved in a collision 2 weeks ago and has been written off. The driver and their passenger walked away with bruising only. I am in the process of securing another FL2. I like jam with my bread and I feel I have that with the FL2

john pennell, Aberdeenshire, December 29th 2008