Range Rover (02 - 13) Owner reviews

After owning this vehicle since January 2013, I feel I can safely say that this is one of the best cars you can buy. We also own a discovery for the seven seat option and decided to by the RR as a something for longer journeys and commutes to London. The vehicle is fantastic on the motorway and it really does everything for the driver, excellent to drive and very responsive. The amount of gadgets and accessories are extensive and we chose the 3.0l model over the 4.4l model as with the weight loss and drive of the previous model car, the car still performed very well. Although we chose the lower engine we did increase the trim level to Vogue SE and added a few extras, deployable side steps, massaging and cooling seats etc. This really made the car that little bit better and people who had opted for the 4.4L vogue now wished they had followed suit a little. With the extra trim and the extras we ended up parting with the same amount on the cash side. Reliability has proved to be great apart from a squeaky drivers seat which did take 5 visits and a call to LR to resolve but in the end this was rectified hence marking the quality down by one star. The engine drive and other aspects of the vehicle have proved to be first rate even for a new model and better than the Mercedes ML which we bought in 2006 as a new model and had to have a replacement gearbox. Dealers are pretty much ok but sometimes they need to listen a little better to their customers needs and preferences.

Derek Saunders, June 30th 2014

TDV6 Vogue SE 4dr Auto

Purchase: We bought the car in 2010, when it was three years old. Lincoln Landrover were fantastic, picked up the car for £35,000, 3 years old with just 36,000 miles on the clock and the assurance of approved used checks and a 1 year approved used warranty. We have owned the car for 4 years now and racked up 90,000 miles. The car is fantastic both on and off road. The engine is smooth and very powerful when needed. The interior is a wonderful place to be you sit high up and can see above all the hedge rows. On the motorway the car is second to non turning over just 2,000 revs in 6th gear at 80mph. The equipment, you are left wanting for nothing, sat nav, rear screens, sat nav, all round heated seats and even a heated steering wheel. Running the car is however very expensive fuel economy is good what we expected really 26mpg, not bad for 2.7 tonnes. Hoever servicing, brakes and tyres are pricey. We recently had a top service 4 tyres and new front brakes and the bill was £1,500 however all the components are very big. Just don't buy and expect to be able to run this car on the cheap. We will run the car till 100,000 miles then buy another. When we test drove alternatives: Discovery, rangerover sport, Mercedes ML and BMW X5 nothing came close either on the road, comfort, off road ability or equipment levels. If you are considering one look carefully because there are some dogs of used examples and it's worth shopping around but when you find a good example just go fo

Mary Walsh, Norfolk, December 24th 2013

TDV8 VOGUE SE 4dr Auto

A lot of people slate this car, but I love mine. As a family, we have had Land Rovers for the last 10 years, but I decided I want to have a go at a Rangie, so picked up a 10 year old one that had a good interior and body. Within weeks the air suspension stranded me on the M6, but being practical I manage to sort it out myself. This took some time and effort. but the ride is amazing. I have just driven a hire car with only 9k on the clock, (RR has 127k), and the ride in the RR is far superior. This I think is mainly due to that air suspension. Thankfully, it has LPG so 13 MPG is not too scarey! I actually stop and look around when I get stuck in traffic and think, what a great car to get stuck in. Cant wait until the snow comes. :-) There are a few other little niggles such as one front wheel bearing to sort and the exhaust needs replacing. Then their is a small leak in coolant needs a permanent fix, but hey it is 10 year old. On the plus side. the engine is as sweet as a nut and quiet until rattled. The auto gearbox is the nicest I have ever experienced. You simply can not feel it change gear! Someone in another review said that there is a lot of wind noise. I notice that at motorway speeds, but I think it is the age of the car and hence the seals. Another weekend job to look at. So if you are practical, you will love this car!

Graham Dalton, October 20th 2013

Vogue 4dr Auto

after 1 year of ownership , i have to say goodby, i loved my car very much and it's just as solid as bullet. only thing gone wrong is a bulb. i went to scotland ,cornwall with my caravan,it performced brilliantly. i just moved house and need to travel on a57 everyday, so i have to buy another car instead of RR. i miss my range rove and i am sure i will be back for 4.4tdv8 soon.

alan song, April 14th 2012

Td6 VOGUE 4dr Auto

I've only had this car for a week and have covered just over a thousand miles. It's amazing. I owned a RR eight years ago and within eight months replaced the aircon unit, gear box and engine and lost £10k on the car when I part exed it. The power and performance of this 4.4 diesel engine is staggering compared to previous models I have tried. My biggest problem was my local RR dealer (I have been there four times now and have still not managed to buy from them). Still waiting for them to get back to me with a value for my old car. I ended up buying it from my local Jaguar dealer. Getting 31mpg on a run and 27 around town. Early days yet so I shouldn't get carried away. Will update in a few months time.

Paul Parry, August 18th 2011

TDV8 Vogue SE 4dr Auto

Short list was new model BMW X5 or range rover. Chose range rover for overall quality and comfort. Bought second hand, 57 reg, at half new cost. So for the car has exceeded my expectations and will be in the driveway for a number of years.

gavin stevenson, January 5th 2009

TDV8 VOGUE 4dr Auto

Having waited for 25 years I have at long last managed to purchase my dream car. I have bought the 4.4 v8 Vogue 2006 model, what can I say without any question the best car I have ever owned, however the same cannot be said about my Landrover dealer. It has been 6 months since I bought the car under the approved scheme and at long last all those minor little niggles that should of been done before we collected it have now been done. I run the car on super unleaded and on a run will get 25mpg whilst running locally 20 mpg, compared to the underpowered TD6 its a dream and so much cheaper to buy than the diesels, I payed sub 30k for a 2 year model with 29k on the clock with everthing on, never knew I needed a heated steering wheel or venture cam but I do now. We also tow a twin axle caravan when towing will get 18mpg, the same as friends of ours who run a TD6 diesel Disco. Trust me for value for money its a brillant buy.

Jon Fisher, Hampshire, November 7th 2008

V8 VOGUE 4dr Auto

This will sadly be my last LR product ever. They just simply aren't built well enough to carry on after they are out of warranty and LR don't want to know you even though you have a comprehensive set of dealer service stamps in the book. I've just spent £6500 on a new Turbo, complete exhaust system inc cat and a gearbox recon. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the car when I took it in!! The computer said NO. It's not until you talk to the specialists that you find out that the gearbox is a common fault and can fail after as little as 30k, although I got 93k out of mine. I've had many parts replaced under warranty and put up with the agro. When they are running fine, they are great but when they go wrong, look out. Now where is the number for the local audi dealer?

Simon Kent, Denbighshire, October 15th 2008

Td6 VOGUE 4dr Auto

I have owned this car, from new, for 10 months. Have been across Europe in it twice so far. As it is top of the range, the only thing I had to specify as extra were the deployable side steps. The level of comfort is superb and the thrill of driving it has not diminished since the day I bought it. One problem occurred with the DP Filter which resulted in power loss. However, this was soon rectified at the dealer. I think it's fair to say that the only thing I don't like about this car, is the access to the rear seats, but then I've only sat there twice!!

marie Linwood, October 12th 2008

TDV8 VOGUE SE 4dr Auto

Very luxurious and refined cruiser with teriffic off-road ability. I have only had one problem so far - the battery gave out at 2 years old. This was fixed promptly and efficiently by Land rover assistance who went to a lot of trouble to repair (at home) on the same afternoon. Fuel consumption is heavy as previously stated by other owners but i have found it to be virtually exactly as stated from the manufacturer with average of 17.5mpg and 23.5mpg on the motorway. Having said that, a friend with the diesel TDV8 version doesn't get much above 20mpg and with the higher cost of diesel it probably works out much the same. Unfortunately, the service costs are really extortionate with a bill of over £350 for what is little more than an oil change. I will be seeking out a specialist garage for future servicing after the warranty expires as long as they can reset the service interval indicator reminder on the dash. Overall, this is one of the best cars i have ever owned - 9/10

ian mcfarlane, aberdeenshire, September 27th 2008

V8 Supercharged VOGUE SE 4dr Auto

The TDV8 is my second Range Rover Vogue, the first being the earlier TD6, which although slow and noisey, was extremely reliable during the 3 years and 75,000 miles I covered in it. I will start with the good points. The ride and handling are a revelation over the previous TD6; fuel economy for a car of this size it utterly staggering, I achieved 31MPG driving through Northern Spain recently, fully loaded with wife, kids, luggage and wine; the performance is magnificent and it looks simply gorgeous anywhere you park it. Now, the bad points. Every time you wash the windscreen while driving with the driver side window open a fraction, you get drizzled in the dirty water racing off the front screen; the windscreen wipers make the most annoying knocking noise; the seats are uncomfortable after 30 mins; I can't fill the fuel tank up properly as the pump ALWAYS air locks; every time I reverse, the wing mirror lowers, but NEVER resets itself; the auto-window switches fail intermittently; the oil pressure warning light has been on 5 times in 3 months; the rear park camera focus is shot; the engine knocks when ticking over and the automatic transmission jerks from gear to gear. If the problems were fixed, I would love this car dearly, but as it stands right now, I hate it! I'm disappointed with Land Rover and the local dealer.

Frank Mansfield, August 1st 2008

TDV8 VOGUE 4dr Auto

What a pity, I bought this car thinking it was a premium mark machine. The sale prices would indicate such an idea. Regrettably, the reliability of this car is something that reminds me of cars from the 1970s. Absolutely dreadful! The Air suspension sytem has failed me four times in 10 weeks rendering the car unusable. In addition to this, the air con has stopped working as has the heated windscreen and the airbag has a fault as well. The p38 is a lovely car and extremely comfortable, it's road presence is very impressive and, being a diesel, the fuel consumption isn't too horrific. That said, you won't be going anywhere fast, the car is very slow and although the top speed is rated just over 100mph, you would be unwise to attempt it. The laughable 'sports mode' appears to make no difference whatsoever. The luggage capacity, whilst large, is limited by the fact that the rear seats don't fold flat or come out. There are numerous intrusions into the boot space from window sills and wheel arches. The split tail gate is a mixed blessing. Great for sitting on but it means you have to stretch across it before you load anything into the car. Overall, I would not recommend the car to anyone as, beautiful as it is, the reliability issues are simply not worth the stress.

James Nash, Kent, June 26th 2008

dHSE 4dr Auto

Ahhh the Range Rover.....the promise of one of the best cars in the world and the reality of dreadful reliability (truly dreadful), appalling dealer service and iffy mechanical build quality. I've just sold mine but will give a - hopefully - balanced view to anyone reading this and may be thinking of buying one. The positives first...when it's running the Range Rover IS one of the best cars in the world, WHEN it's running. The bad bits... I experienced suspension failure (sensor failure) and also the infamous front differential/prop failure which seems to affect so many cars. The car was trailored to the dealer who quickly repaired it....and then tried to get me to pay £1000 for the repair (even though the car was under warranty) as failure was down to 'wear and tear'. I refused, showed them my letter from their MD, they paid up, same with other problems. So...should you buy a Range Rover ? Hmmmmmmm can't speak for the new TDV8s or petrols as I had a TD6 but let me just say that out of the 6 friends of mine who had a Range Rover when I bought mine (last year) none of us still own one and have left the brand, I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions !

martin barratt, Hampshire, March 23rd 2008

Td6 HSE 4dr Auto

Having just ordered my new RR Vogue TDV8 following a 2 day test drive courtesy of a local dealer all I can say is how staggered I am at the improvements with the new model. Landrover have a fantastic marketing position and that is that no matter how terrible some of their dealers are, in this case Sturgess of Leicester and the dreadful "luck" I had in the last 4 months ownership of my P38 2001 Vogue V8 they know that once you have had one its all you will always want. I have found a new relatively local dealer and they are superb,this is my first diesel car and I am staggered at how refined it is, finally ! and lets face it when you do 18,000 miles a year a petrol RR can leave you in tears and bankruptcy! This car is an outstanding achievment and somehow its made up for everything else Landrover have got wrong over the years. I am 27 and all I can say is forget Porsche, BMW etc if you want a really cool car with real presence then this is it!

matt jeffery, March 10th 2008

TDV8 VOGUE 4dr Auto

I have owned this car for a year, I bought at 3 years old and have taken the mileage from 57k to 70k. I have owned every type of landrover, toyota land cruisers, e class, 5 series, subaru's, porsche etc.. This without question is the best all round vehicle I have owned. It imparts a sense of occassion to every drive, you arrive rather than having journeyed. I know through my own experience LR's can be unreliable but this RR has been very good, build quality excellent, still feels taut and like a year old car not 4 years old. You can by one like for £24k can't think of better value for money. Hopefully will be replaced with the V8 diesel at the appropriate time.

john winstanley, shropshire, February 19th 2008

Td6 VOGUE 4dr Auto

I've always admired RRs,I've always wanted to own one. I couldn't believe my luck when I got the chance to have one as a company car. SO far so good but things started to go wrong pretty soon after I'd ordered the 3.0TD SE ('56 plate). The car was delivered with the wrong colour carpets, a busted CD player, water in the rear light cluster and CLOTH SEATS WHICH AREN'T EVEN AN OPTION YOU CAN SPECIFIY!!! Weeks later the car was finally delivered with leather, the right carpet etc. in the 1yr+ I've had the car it's barely gone a month without a trip back to the dealer: phone kit, steering mounted controls, ventilation system and arm rest have all had to be fixed. Major problems have included the car getting stuck at access height, mechanical pulley in engine (2 weeks to fix)and continual problems with light clusters taking on water/foglamps falling out of housing. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that this car, despite it's capabilies, can actually cope with off-road conditions. Lovely car, terrible reliability and useless dealers. I'm so glad it's not my own money but could do without the hassle and am counting down the months until i can get something Japanese!

James Reade, February 8th 2008

Td6 SE 4dr Auto

i have owned this car from new (04 , it has done 22k trouble free miles and returns 20 mpg. have had no problem with the dealers, other than a little expensive for its yearly service (£440).overall rating 5*..

paul rivabella, essex, January 31st 2008

Td6 VOGUE 4dr Auto

I bought the RR with 40,000 miles when it was 2 years old. It cost me £32k. It was over £60k new. I find it fantastic value for money as it is very capable on the road, the equipment levels are superb and it is very practical. You cannot get a better car for this money. The main gripe I have with this car is that I cannot get the mpg below 17.8 no matter what I do and so it costs a fortune to run. If your mileage is reasonable then this car is hard to beat!

Graeme White, January 23rd 2008

V8 VOGUE [6] 4dr Auto

I have owned my car since new (Sept 04 ) I have done 48k mls and can honestly say that this is the best all round car that I have ever had. I have owned appx 10 new cars in the last 12 years ranging from a Laguna Estate to a Bentley GTC. This R R is has been a real pleasure to own and the best all rounder in all of the others. It has never let me down, it is a great driving experience where ever we go - alone or with family, its had its little warranty issues like having had a rear light unit changed because of the seal failing and a slight fault on the power steering pump, but nothing compared to some of the other makes ( some costing twice the price ) and these bits have been done while in for a service so not had to go out of my way. I am currently about to place an order for a 3.6 TD for the 1st of March and am looking forward to the new car. Ive looked at other 4x4s - Mercs, BMs, Toyota, Q7s but somehow see better all round value for money in the R R. Sure the odd person will suffer more failures than others but I think that Ford have done a very good job of sorting things out with the car, and the dealerships ( even though Ive read complaints ) are no worse than any of the others and much better than most Ive dealt with. I will still own different makes of cars while owning the R R but if the new ones anywhere near as good as this one has been I will own it for as long. From a Very Satisied Customer.

Ivan Scott, Lancashire, January 19th 2008

Td6 VOGUE 4dr Auto

I traded my AMV8 for the Vogue TDV8 and wished I had done it much sooner! The Aston had to be resprayed from new and a new tailgate and exhaust, very poorly built although a great drive. The TDV8 obviously is a completely different type of vehicle, it's luxurious, quiet and almost a limousine on the road. All the toys, well built and fabulous cabin. I have also solved my bad back problem by not having to cope with such a stiff manual gearbox and the armchair seats are to die for. This is best new car I have ever bought and has less emissions than the last one!

Steve Kimber, West Sussex, December 21st 2007