I didn't plan on buying one of these but spotted it while my missus was buying a new car and loved the look of it. After doing my research and having a test drive I find I preferred it to a range of other cars (even my dream car the Audi A5!). The big winner for me is 1) the comfort of the drive and the seat position. I'm 6'4 and even with the seat in the highest position still have a fair amount of clearance above my head. 2) MPG - I'm now getting after 2,000 miles is around 46.5 on a normal journey (part town driving and part dual carriage/motorway). Found on a test journey I can get above 50mpg if I drive around 60mph but cannot deal with going this slow! 3) The boot space is ideal and can fit two sets of golf clubs very comfortably (without taking the seats down). 4) The fact that a lot of "extras" are included in the base model is a big plus - also havent had any issues with wind noise. Bad points - thankfully there aren't many. 1) Radio - no digital option - would have happily paid a bit more for a digital option. 2) SatNav - no fault just a pretty poor interface and the search option is useless unless you have a postcode. 3) Voice recognition - it really is something out of a comedy show - "dial home" - "you want to call Paul G" - eh? 4) Ipod / bluetooth music. Ipod function has stopped working since IOS 8.0 and the bluetooth is pretty basic with music option - it will only play your entire library with no suffle option

Luke Stevens, cornwall, October 31st 2014

d SE-L Nav 5dr

Most comfortable car I've ever driven. Excellent driving position, loads of space, top spec and excellent build quality. Reasonable economy but only Β£30/year road fund licence and reasonable insurance costs.

Richard Pegg, Lancs, July 15th 2014

d SE-L Lux Nav 5dr

I Have had this car for nearly 8 months and I find it a joy to drive. I changed to the Mazda from a Kia Sportage and not only is the mpg figures an improvement, couple that with 35 pound a year road tax compared to 150 then there is no contest. Customer relations are an improvement, too! The boot with the seats down will accommodate 2 sets of golf clubs including bags and three wheeled trollies with space to spare. Car is easy to drive and you soon forget the size of the vehicle, the front and rear sensors make parking a dream. Mpg is continuing to improve as the car beds in. No mechanical problems so far. Only gripe is playing the ipod thru the car audio system, it always goes back to the same song which is annoying as even with shuffle it plays them in the same order. That is my only complaint and in short this car is a good buy. Dealer in Inverness Macrae and Dick a pleasure to deal with.

DAVID MACBETH, June 20th 2014

d SE-L Nav 5dr

Very good car for the price, although I would also take a look at Kia Sportage before buying as its similar but cheaper (and nearly same size). The good: - equipment is quite good - spacious inside (enough for 2+2 family) - quite agile (steering wheel is light) - good engine - auto gearbox is sometimes thinking at low speeds but generally its accurate The bad: - sat nav/computer can be controlled from the knob between seats, buttons on the side of the screen, touchscreen and the steering wheel (who needs all that confusion?) - unrefined - try it around 50mph before you buy because if you need a quiet motorway cruiser then you're in for a surprise - materials inside are not all that quality for a car at this price point All in all I would put it in a list together with Kia Sportage and new Nissan Qashqai on the test drive list and go from there which is to your taste and budget

maciej swiatly, March 6th 2014

d Sport Nav 5dr

Great car to drive both solo and towing. Only had it 6 months with 4K miles, so will update later.

RAY POOLE, February 8th 2014

d [175] Sport Nav 5dr AWD

I have owned this car for 6 months, and have driven 10k in this time. It has been an excellent car to own and thoroughly deserves the high score WC has given it in their review. The engine is a peach in terms of response and oomph, although the fuel consumption is far higher than the claims! If you drive it at a sedate 60mph then you will get a very nice 60mpg, however in real terms I my car has gone from an almost scary 35mpg towards 43-45 as the car has bedded in, and I hope that it continues to move in the right direction over the next 10k. There is loads of space inside and compares more than favourably with its BMW, Audi and other contemporaries that cost a lot more. Build quality is, in the main, comparable with cars that cost some 5-10k more. However, there are some small gripes here: the wind noise is defiantly there, esp if you drive at 75 mph plus (which given I drive a lot on the continent is a speed I do regularly), the bonnet also has a tendency to flutter slightly at this speed also, and the fit of the carpets in the back is not tight - too much material! But it is a damn sight better than the 2 stars WC have given. Loads of kit, looks great inside and out, cracking sound system, brilliant drive, and also not a regular sight on the road which I think gives a certain cache. Would I spend in excess of 10k more for the equivalent Q5 or X3 with less kit? Not a chance, they look expensive and unnecessary against this most excellent of cars.

Chris Rothwell, Worcs, January 18th 2014

d Sport 5dr

Very pleased with this purchase and I am hard pressed to find fault. I test drove this 175 Auto model on the motorway but could not hear the excessive wind/road noise mentioned in the Whatcar review -I am sure this is a leftover comment as the magazine has always criticised Mazda's on this point! The ride on 19" wheels is pleasantly firm and copes with English potholes noticeably better than my previous car's 17" ones. There is plenty of hi-tech on board: navigation, speed camera and traffic warnings, on-line weather updates as well as instant access to your mobiles phone and music. Just pop the SD card from the dash into your PC for instant updates, free for the first 3 months. My first diesel purchase ever but you would only know when you stop and idle - even then the I-stop cuts the engine and only restarts, instantly, when the brakes are released. Great acceleration from the 175 bhp/420fp torque 2.2 litre unit. The car certainly deserves the Whatcar 5 star accolade, but perhaps the engine is too new for me to get the advertised consumption, or anything like it. I'll report back in a few weeks!

Anthony Dow, January 6th 2014

d [175] Sport Nav 5dr AWD

I was lucky to get one of the first CX5's in August 2012, having extended the lease on a Forester 2.0D to wait for the release date. I've now done 22000 miles and can say that it is excellent in almost all respects. It's roomy (I'm 6ft 5in tall), comfortable, has plenty of boot space, is well equipped and a pleasure to drive. The Forester had more rear leg room and sounded nicer, but the Mazda beats it everywhere else. I do have one major issue though - fuel consumption. This is the first car I've had in 15 years that I've not been able to match or exceed the official MPG figures for. Since last December, I've been keeping detailed records and the average is 41MPG over the last 17,000 miles compared with the official average of 54.3. It has improved over time (was 37MPG initially), but it's a slow process. Best is at a steady 70 on a motorway with cruise on.

Alan Bickerstaff, Derbyshire, October 7th 2013

d [175] Sport Nav 5dr AWD

Amazing car and one of the best we have owned. My wife drives the car and loves the handling, looks, quality of materials and all of the functions/extras that the sports model offers. Highly recommended!

Jabbar Sardar, West Yorkshire, September 21st 2013

d Sport Nav 5dr

Have now covered about 1700 miles in the first two months of ownership. Having moved downmarket from a Jaguar XF I was concerned about whether I would enjoy this vehicle or find it meeting expectations. It has subsequently delivered on just about every level. Superbly equipped, very easy to drive (the gearbox is a gem) I have not been disappointed. The engine is one of the most refined 4 cyl diesels I have ever come across, certainly on a par with premium German marques. The steering is light and communicative and with the standard front and rear parking sensors the car is very easy to position when parking. Seat comfort is exceptional and on a par with my Jaguar. I occasionally drive elderly people to hospital or the doctor and all of them have commented on how comfortable the seats are and how easy the car is to enter and exit. Refinement is first class for a crossover, wind noise from the mirrors is minimal with perhaps the poorest aspect being tyre noise on badly surfaced roads but overall it's pretty good and way better than the 2 star rating suggested by What Car. Fuel economy is very dependent upon driving style ranging from an exceptional 50-55 mpg around the countryside without much effort to a more disappointing 40 mpg at higher Motorway speeds. However when talking to friends with equivalent Hondas and Hyundais it still outperforms comparable engine sizes in the economy stakes. All in all, M-way fuel economy aside, an excellent vehicle.

Peter Russell, July 12th 2013

d SE-L Nav 5dr

I have now had the 2.2d 2WD CX5 SEL for over a month and done 1400 miles. It’s very comfortable and commodious with a large boot unlike the VW Tiguan. With the 17 inch wheels the ride is smooth and not overtly firm, although the car feels larger than say a VW Touran and has some body role. The diesel engine is a peach with low end torque and revs freely to say 5000 rpm. What’s very impressive is the economy, typically on a long run I can get a computed mpg of 49 if I don’t go over 69 mph (gps), 56 if I don’t go over 65 mph and around suburbia I can obtain 45mpg driving conservatively. However these figures can drop quite a bit if I start to push the car or drive at higher speeds on the motorway. For me the start-stop system works very effectively. The car feels very solid, well built and plush. Inside I feel very secure and cosseted; it’s really quiet and I really don’t suffer from wind/road noise. I always thought the VW produced ergonomically designed dash and interior (although a bit plan at times), but I would say I feel equally at home with the CX5. Storage compartments (especially in the doors) are a bit sparse but I don’t really mind as there is less rubbish to clear out after the children. I would have liked a panoramic roof though like VW. That said the SEL is well equipped and the cruise control/blue toothworks really well. With Β£30 pa road tax, great fuel economy and a very pokey diesel engine I must commend Mazda for producing such a great first SUV.

Robert Leon, Herts, June 2nd 2013

d SE-L Nav 5dr

Having read many reports and reviews, I appear to be one of the few people who finds the CX-5 to be a disappointment. I took delivery of my CX-5 two months ago and have covered 2000 miles. On the plus side, the engine is quiet, powerful and responsive; the automatic gearbox is excellent. The seating is comfortable and there is plenty of leg and head room, front and rear. The A/C unit is very good and defrosts and heats the interior efficiently. The CX-5 is generally well equipped but, overall, for a Β£26,000 car, the interior finish is bland. I realise that most manufacturers are trying to replace the spare wheel with an Instant Mobility System (IMS) but many do offer the option of a spare - not Mazda! After much correspondence, Mazda has agreed that the IMS cannot be used to repair many types of puncture and that any tyre that is repaired with the IMS must be replaced with a new tyre. Crazy! Mazda has advised me that a spare wheel can be made available, albeit at an exorbitant price of Β£319.81. However, the parts are not currently available due to demand. Need I say more! My CX-5 is not achieving Mazda's claimed fuel consumption figures - or anything near to them! Over several hundred miles of mixed driving with no rush hour driving or significant delays, the computer is showing an average consumption of 31.7mpg. The best figure which I have achieved is 38.6mpg on a 400 mile motorway / A road run. The CX-5 is, in my opinion, over-rated and over-priced.

Stephen Hesford, Co Durham, March 11th 2013

d SE-L Nav 5dr AWD

This is a great car. It's comfy, spacious and quick. I would admit the only big down fall is the road noise and wind noise! Why they didn't fit thicker windows or something to help with this problems surprises me. Everything else about this car is world class. If it had a Merc or BMW badge it would be advertised as the best car ever made (they probably would have fixed the wind noise). The MPG is not what it says (no surprise), but if drive it below 65mph you do get average 50mpg. Compared to other similar cars, this one doesn't not suffer from a poor air con system. It warms up in minutes. The i-stop is funny, you end up breaking a little heavier and sometimes tapping the accelerator to get it to work. The storage is excellent and the seats are all very comfy. The seat belt in the back could do more slack, it's a tight squeeze getting a baby car seat. Would I recommend this to my friends - errrr yes! However, I'm looking forward to the next generation of this model. If they can fix the wind noise, these would be the perfect car - FULL STOP.

Allan Bodgers, Lancashire, February 12th 2013

d SE-L Nav 5dr

This car is in the 5th month of ownership after 3500 miles. It has had 3 motorway journeys of over 200 miles and otherwise has been commuting 28 miles a day mainly on an A road but does about 4 miles on hilly unclassified roads. During that time it has averaged 40.6mpg which is less than my wife’s Mitsubishi Outlander with similar engine, hardly class leading. When I ordered this car it was strictly on the understanding that it would have a spare wheel as an extra cost (Β£237) dealer fitted option suggested by 2 Mazda dealers. This to replace the utterly useless puncture sealant supplied as standard in the UK. On delivery, oh dear that is to follow. After over 4 months it is still to follow and Mazda’s attitude is total disinterest. On the positive side, I find the overall road/wind noise even when fitted with all terrain tyres quite acceptable unlike other reviews. Using an original wheel as a spare only caused the mpg to drop by 0.3mpg so the planet is still fairly safe. This is our 3rd SUV and I find the ride, handling and performance to be very good although electric power steering hasn’t the feel of hydraulic. I(rritating)-Stop seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes when it has been turned off it will activate for no reason that I can see. When I get out of the car to open my gate the engine stays running or sometime it stops and sometimes it stops and the engine needs restarting with the start button which is difficult to see behind the steering wheel.

Roland Stevenson, Powys, January 9th 2013

d [175] Sport Nav 5dr AWD

After 1800 miles of varied driving, urban and motorway, I continue to think there is little to criticise in Mazda's CX5 2.2D AWD. And perhaps the only thing it will suffer from is the lack of three letters...BMW ! Having owned two previous Mazda models, both Mk1 and Mk2 Mazda 6 over a ten year period, the CX5 appears to continue and increase their delivery of a 'quality' product. I was disappointed to read that Whatcar considered the CX5 to be only worthy of a low 2 star "refinement" rating. This is undeserved as Whatcar, themselves, say the engine shows excellent refinement and can only point to wind around wing mirrors and some tyre noise. Even if present, it’s not intrusive and a drop of three stars is a heavy penalty. Similar criticisms have been made of more iconic German models, with little loss of their star rating. Driving the CX5 is a pleasurable experience, particularly for an SUV, characterised by Mazda's commendable driver centred design. The SkyActiv engine and gearbox are worthy of much praise and this may well be undermined due to the absence of those afore mentioned three letters. The suspension may be a little firm for some, though never uncomfortably so. Average fuel consumption is currently running at 49mpg, and this should improve with mileage. Be assured, this is a good SUV, suffering little other than the lack of a Germanic name. Most will delight in its virtues, few would deny its qualities.

Norman Stott, Lancashire, August 14th 2012