We bought this car to replace an Avensis estate and wanted something smaller but with room to carry largish objects. We drove a Yeti and Qashqai but the ASX just felt smoother and nicer to handle. The gearbox is a dream - notchy (i.e. you can feel exactly where each gear is) but silky smooth. My wife found the steering perfect - just the right amount of feel at all speeds. With the Avensis, folding rear seats was a pain - all headrests had to be removed, then seat squabs lifted; ASX seats fold without these needs and offer masses of space, far bigger than the short length would suggest. It has a longer wheelbase than most similar cars, and of course this gives a smoother ride overall. The low-compression diesel is incredibly quiet, in fact sounds more like a petrol engine; on acceleration you hear only a rustle rather than the usual diesel clatter, though at speed on the motorway this silence does allow you to hear some tyre noise (ours are Yokohamas). We are getting good fuel economy, though my wife does like to floor the accelerator often - which gives you a real push in he back from the powerful intercooled turbo. It's easy to see why there are many 25-year old Mitsubishis on the roads - despite a light body, all controls in the car feel extremely solid. And it has a timing chain, so there's no timimg belt changes every 3 or 4 years ! There are electronic displays and automatic functions galore - too many for me to get the hang of !

David Waddington, Dorset, October 20th 2013

David Waddington, Dorset, October 20th 2013

3 5dr

I've only had this car since the new 63 plate. I reviewed many cars in this class in my quest for something taller. The Kia Sportage was considered having owned a Cee'd for 5 faultless years from me. I found the low roofline of the Sportage to be a problem and frequently bashed my head on entry if I forgot to duck. No such problem with the ASX. It's tall with a lofty roofline. The dash is not awash with big touch screens, it's simple and easy to use. Room is a plenty and the seats very comfortable. There are plenty of extras in the 3 model to keep anyone happy. The spec for price is excellent and as good as any other maker's offerings. The real gem is the 1.8 DID engine. It's smooth and reasonably quiet at most speeds. There is evidence of a not unattractive turbo whine as it spins up when you ask the engine to perform. It's only 114 BHP which is very adequate for most needs but the beauty is in the very effective 300 newton metres of torque that appears just where you need it. Overtaking at motorway speeds is swift, even in 6th gear. It's a unique engine, the first with variable valve timing in a production car diesel engine. I drive with economy in mind and the on-board computer is showing about 50 mpg on journeys around 20 miles. If it gives me the reliability of the Kia Cee'd, and there is no reason it shouldn't, it is Japanese and should do, I will be a very happy owner.

William Taylor, Cheshire, September 16th 2013

3 ClearTec 5dr

I have owned an ASX 3 for the past 21 months and am on the verge of trading it in for an ASX 4. For me, the ASX has been almost the perfect car and I don't understand the underwhelming reviews that it gets from What Car. My wife owns a Qashqai which I sometimes drive so I feel qualified to state that the Qashqai is not even in the same ball park as the ASX. The ASX's looks first attracted me to it: assertive, modern and well-proportioned, the lines are classy yet solid. The Mitsubishi brand seemed synonymous with reliability and efficiency. I was puzzled by the 9,000 mile service interval on the diesel engine but it's probably better to err on the side of caution. During the time I've owned the car, I've travelled 44,000 miles and can honestly say it's never given me a moment's bother. The ride is extremely comfortable - my brother and I travelled to Rome and back last summer without complaint. The performance is acceptable, getting from 0-60 in less than 10 seconds and the fuel economy is exceptional - regularly clocking up over 55mpg. I love the way my iPhone hooks up to the audio system via bluetooth and I can play my music, make phone calls and link my satnav app seamlessly through the system. I would love to give the ASX 5 stars because I can't think of a car I would prefer but handling is a little 'wallowy' around the country lanes where I live and the service intervals are annoyingly regular. Looking forward to the leather seats on my ASX 4.

Phil Thomas, May 31st 2013

3 ClearTec 5dr

I currently own a 15 year old Land Rover Discovery Tdi and have the pleasure of taking the Mitsubishi ASX 3 1.6 every now and then for a few weeks. The vast majority of my cars have been diesels as I prefer the relaxed driving style and always considered smaller petrol engines as abit weak. Being honest this preconception about smaller petrol engines was reinforced when I first drove the ASX, it does need to be worked hard when making fast progress but its a very smooth free revving unit so is a joy to wind up, engine noise is an issue even at low revs its quite boomy and doesn't make a particularly sporty noise. The ride is fantastic, its supple yet very stable, soaking up awful road surfaces as well as stupidly large speed humps really well. Handling again is a revelation for this type of car, body roll is kept to a minimum and front end grip is very good only progressing to very manageable understeer when pressed too hard, one thing to note is that the ESP and TC are very quick to kick in allowing practically no slip compared to my previous 2010MY Ford Focus which allowed that little bit of slip before kicking in. Steering is very light but weights up progressively at speed making town driving in combination with very light controls a doddle but higher motorway speed a joy also, interior is very functional and looks to be wearing well, fuel economy is good when driven sensible currently around 38-40mpg town driving and around 46-47mpg driving at "motorway speeds".

Steve D'Cruze, Merseyside, February 5th 2013

Steve D'Cruze, Merseyside, February 5th 2013

3 5dr

Don't listen to WhatCar. The engine is quiet and refined, slight wind noise from the mirrors only happens at motorway speeds in crosswinds. This car isn't a rocket away from the lights but it has plenty of mid range punch. The leather seats are truly the most comfortable I have experienced in 50 years of motoring with fantastic back support. Our first trip in this car took us on an 1800 mile trip from the South of England to the Outer Hebrides and Skye. All sorts of roads, all sorts of conditions including a very hairy bit of 4wd. It was excellent. With the 1.8 diesel it did exactly 10 miles to the litre - 45.4 mpg. As for the service interval I think that 9,000 miles is a very good time to replace the oil and filter. Longer and you will damage an engine on any car. The slightly raised cabin is great. The top of the range 4 model comes with every concievable extra. The Bluetooth is easy to set up, just get into the car and it connects. The iPod works great too with a fantastic on screen display. We were able to sit and watch a DVD whilst waiting for a Hebrides ferry. Having also tried the Quashquai I am puzzled why this car isn't recommended. It goes much better, is more comfortable and seems just as refined? I would strongly recommend this car to anyone considering buying a crossover. It is brilliant and excellent value for money. Ignore the rather unenthusiastic review and give it a test drive.

Alan Goswell, Berks, May 30th 2012