Why can't I get my car's V5C document?

Words ByWill Nightingale

Need a valuation?

Obtain a FREE used car valuation for any vehicle.


An article image

Q: I bought a car last year and the previous owner did not give me the logbook (V5C). He just gave me a temporary slip and advised me to send it to DVLA so they could issue the V5C. I did so, but the DVLA is refusing to issue one because the car requires a 'VIC'. How should I go about getting one of these?
James Barclay

A: The fact that the DVLA says the car requires a VIC (Vehicle Identification Check) means your car has probably been written off at some point in its life.

When a car is damaged beyond economical repair, an insurer normally decides not to repair it. If so, it must legally inform both the driver and the DVLA.

The DVLA will then set a VIC marker against the car. This is to ensure that the genuine car is returned to the road and not, say, a stolen car masquerading as the damaged car.

You need to fill out a VIC1 form (available from the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency - VOSA - see and pay a fee of 36.

Once this has been processed, you'll be asked to present the car at one of the 57 VOSA locations in the UK for a check, which takes around 20 minutes.

If the car passes, you'll be issued with a VIC20 pass certificate and the DVLA will be automatically notified of the result. You can then apply for a logbook (V5C) by completing a V62 application form.