Nissan 350Z Coupe (03 - 09) Owner reviews

I once owned an 04 GT (the version with the stupidly heavy clutch - a built in gym for your left leg). I've driven both editions since and must say they do feel different. I went from a Honda Civic Type R to this and, although it wasn't much quicker, it was a completely new challenge. I first felt it was a waste of time because it was a super-car lookalike with super-car fuel consumption (compared to the Honda) and fell well short of super-car performance. I kept the traction control on for a month, gradually learning when it was interfering... Then I started to DRIVE the thing amd it was brilliant fun. But there was one problem... it was FUN in the DRY, but when has it been dry in the past 3 years? The rear wheel drive is a real menace! Nissan have steadily improved the cabin and the drive and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who only wants to drive it hard in the dry conditions but if it is wet, forget it. Keep your ESP on and don't do anything naughty! In the end my 350Z was killed in a tragic, non-speeding related accident. A skip truck driver didn't see me and thought he just went over something... he did! I've got an Audi S5 now, much better handling but not a racing car although I'm sure it'd do this around a racetrack. The latest version feels very torquey and will deliver plenty of fun, fuel consumption is better than S5's 20mpg. Only 3/5 due to necessity of a drought to make it worthwhile to keep for racing/track day purposes.

Ahmad Qadan, Middlesex, October 29th 2008

V6 313 GT 3dr

Last month I bought the my 350Z GT Coupe and I can't seem to wipe the smile off my face. My wife is convinced I'm having an affair. Having driven an Merc. CLK auto for the last two years, the Z gear box took a little getting used to, especially when cold but once you get used to the fact that it performs best when pushed, the car becomes a real driving experience. Power from 0-2000 revs is low but once you hit 2000 to 4000 the car launches forward and leaves your insides behind! Motorway sliproads are becoming my favorite place as acceleration in 3rd. gear to 85mph is a joy to feel and hear. The interior of the car is greatly improved from the 2006 version I'm told and I have no complaints on that score. The air conditioning actually works, not like a merc! I'm getting 24 mpg at the moment but as it has been said, if you're worried about fuel consumption you're in the wrong car. Overall I'd recommend to anyone who wants to "drive" a car rather than get from a to b comfortably. One last tip - don't turn off the traction control unless you have a lot of space either side of the road and can afford new rear wheels. Keep the beast in it's cage and you'll every minute you're behind the wheel.

vincent lynch, April 27th 2008

V6 313 GT 3dr

I have the 5spd auto-tiptronic doo dahh. I have driven the manual and the two simply do not compare. Auto is best and faster by a considerable margin. The car is angled specifically at the car enthusiast. The suspension is hard yes, but leans towards handling and feel, rather than total comfort, but you get so much information through the steering wheel it is an absolute joy. The brakes are superb and fade resitant when pressing on. The handling dynamics are wonderfully neutral and you get plenty of warning before the back slides and if you drive fast in the wet then you deserve to visit the hedge of doom. The engine is unburstable and has a lovely low down torque. Best tires to fit are Pirelli Zero Rossos , Bridgestones are rubbish and incredibly noisy. Running costs are cheap as chips , MPG is 27mpg with a bit of vigorous driving. Reliability is unsurpassed, nothing has gone wrong in 65,000miles , nothing at all. Nurburgring 8mins 30, Nuff said. My car is in the repairers as we speak due to some idiot crashing in to the back of me. My replacement car is a 2007 audi tt 3.2V6 manual , and I have to be blunt, I have never come across a car that is so wrong in almost every respect, the engine is over balanced and takes ages to reduce revs between shifts which makes quick changes v jerky, its chassis is like driving a bowl of jelly with jelly wheels, the boot is the size of a small shoe, MPG av of 14.6!!!!, I wouldnt have the audi even as a gift. 350z rules. Period.

Alexander Sinclair, February 19th 2008

V6 300 3dr

the best coupe by a mile .great to drive . if you worried about petrol buy something eles .i have mine since march 07 and can fault it .

robert barry, waterford, December 21st 2007

V6 300 3dr

This is a rather odd-looking and flawed car. It has a moderate drive - it's great in a long straight line, but on UK roads and bends, come across a Mazda RX8 or Honda S2000 and you can expect to be completely embarrassed. It returns awful fuel consumption around town - no wonder it has a near 18 gallon tank. It's also very noisy and insurance is fearsome. It has lots of power, but when you hear owners boast that it manages to accelerate from low speeds in a high gear and feels like an automatic - that sums it up. It might work on the straight roads of the USA but over here - oh dear. Save yourself a lot of money and grief and buy the far more convincing Audi TT or Mazda RX8 (you'll save pounds on fuel, servicing and the need for a second car, too).

C Wells, August 14th 2007

V6 313 GT 3dr

I have an Azure late 2003 GT coupe with 30,000 miles. Overall, it's a great car, and I'd consider getting the latest 309bhp version when time comes to sell. It's a great drive - not quite as nimble as a Boxster but better than an RX8 or Z4. The engine note is excellent, I'm getting about 26mpg which is reasonable. There is plenty of power, and good flexibility overall - you can leave it in fifth if you wanted and treat it like a big automatic. However, I think there could be more pull lower down the rev range, you need to get above 4000rpm before the real shove comes in. The major problem is that the Nissan dealer support is completely pants; easily the worst I have come across. Nissan need to realise buyers of premium cars demand better service than this. The main problems are that the main dealer support is awful, the driver's side electric window sticks (took the dealer four attempts to fix), second gear can graunch when cold, and the Bose stereo is not up to par in my view, and on top of that the CD player skips. You guessed it, the dealer (and Nissan customer service) didn't want to know! Also, the rear hatch struts weaken, needing new spacers or replacement struts. The paint is prone to chipping, and although the cabin finish is OK (it's slightly better in later versions) it could be improved for style and quality. Overall I heartily recommend this car - just check the forum site before buying so you know the relatively minor pitfalls from the start.

Steve Cownden, Worcs, July 14th 2007

V6 GT 3dr

Oh dear....what can I say. Having written a previous review I had to jump up and down and get angry with the dealership to get the 350z totally replaced after the engine was found to be shot after only 10,000 miles. This took a month to sort and cost me much lost sleep. Having recieved the replacement car with a similar mileage all seemed well untill I noticed a rumbling coming from the front.....another trip to the garage and two new front wheel bearings later and the problem was resolved. the replacement car was better but the C.D. jumped and there was a noticeable clonk from the back axle during gear changes.The window on both driver and passenger side had a wind noise issue which also had to be resolved. The dealership would not entertain a refund so I've resorted to selling the 350z and getting an Audi A4 insead. A great shame as the car looks superb and drives beautifuly but has been let down by poor build quality and an attitude from nissan and the local dealership that beggers belief.

Paul Adams, SUFFOLK, July 12th 2007

V6 300 GT 3dr

I've got mixed opinions on this car. I've owned my 2003 350Z for 14 months. It's a great car to drive, but the rear tailgate strut had to be replaced - it was too weak to support the hatch. There was a clicking noise from the rear suspension, which meant a major job under warranty. The driver's side electric windows stuck down (now it's stuck up!), and there was a creaking noise from the rear suspension - that meant the anti-roll linkage had to be replaced. Now, the final straw - a clanking noise from the rear suspension. The local dealer is appalling. Really appalling. Words can't describe it. It might wash with a typical Micra buyer, but people who buy these kind of cars expect German standards of customer care. I've just ordered a new TT. OK, it won't drive as well, but the trim won't creak, I'll be treated like a human, and hopefully it won't break down. It's a shame, really, Nissan. A bit of polish in quality and customer service is all that is needed. It's a great car to look at and drive - a real head turner!

Mark Haden, June 22nd 2007

V6 GT 3dr

This car (my 40th) follows a long line which includes a TVR 350, an Audi TT and a Mercedes SLK. This one is definitely the best of all. The cabin is like a fighter plane, the sat-nav and hands-free phone (wireless) are exemplary. The shape is better than Angelina Jolie and whenever I return to it there is always someone looking in the window. The sound is as good as the TVR and it pulls strongly in any gear at any speed. I get 24mpg and it corners like a go-kart. At last I have found a car which I shall keep for more than a year. OUTSTANDING

richard christon, durham, June 12th 2007

V6 300 GT 3dr

All I can say is before this, I owned a 231BHP RX8, the 350Z is in a different league. You can poodle along in 6th gear at 1500rpm and accelerate all way up to 155mph....if you wanted to! Great car! Try out the TT, RX8 and then the 350Z, you will understand!

Karl Hopkins, June 6th 2007

V6 GT4 3dr

Well, what a car of mixed fortunes this has been for me, though I think I'm very, very much in the minority but more of this later. As you'll read on a later paraagraphs, I've had some monumental problems with my 350Z, but yet strangely as I sit here and write this, I'm still conteplating getting another one. So, whats great about the car? Well, I've got 2004 Z, which now has 75,000 miles on it as we do lots of miles in it and its my company motor. Its a completely joy to drive, gets great attention (my wife likes that), and generally makes you feel really happy about owning it. Just love the thing when I'm driving it. Fuel economy is okish for the breed, we average 26.7 out of it, which isn't bad considering. We get around 20k out of a set of rear tyres, and around 35K out of a set of fronts, though admitedly a lot of our driving is motorway miles. Problems on mine, hell, where to start. two engine sensor problems, (early problem apparently), stops the car dead, had two sets of rear toe links, and two sets of driveshafts (clicking noises), faulty rear boot weather seals, and has just had to have the rear wheel bearings replaced. Stereo also replaced once under warranty. the clutch has always been very heavey and it judders badly in traffic. None of this is what you would suspect for a Jap car really. Will I get a new one..? Well, we'll see I guess

Andy Goddard, Cheshire, May 30th 2007

V6 GT 3dr

First and foremost I am a UK resident, I purchased this car from Japan through an Internet site call IBC Japan. It is a 2002 Fairlady Z ST version, which equates to the 350Z uk GT pack except for Cruise Control, Rays alloys and controls on the steering wheel. It is Sparkling silver with Alezan Orange Leather, 18 Inch Nissan wheels and Brembo Brakes. It only had 17000 miles on it when I got it and I've covered a further 5500 miles in 6 months. I am generally very pleased with this car, performance is superb as is the handling and very pleasing looks. However, a) I find the ride a bit harsh on bumpy roads (you can have a hard suspension setup without being constantly jolted around! so why hasn't this been tuned into the standard suspension setup??) b) Front tires wear their inside edge in around 6000 miles (I swap them around at this point) c) Drivers side electric window motor has failed These are minor gripes I suspect and I am still prepared to live with them, it eats up the miles and looks better than a 911! :-) And all that for under Β£14,000. not bad!!

Ray Scalietti, December 4th 2006

V6 300 GT 3dr

Bought this Z car sept 05 new and its the best Β£26000 Ive ever spent, it is an upgrade from an 04 MR2 which was a very poor choice. Great fun to drive ( the Z ) and completly mad if stability control turned off. It does attract boy racers who seem insistent on overtaking you ( or trying to )at any cost, but whilst stationary the drool for ages. I have often returned to a car park to find a crowd having a look through the windows ( I have had seatbelt covers and floor mats made with my name embossed which sets the interior off ) and generally looking around. Superb exhaust note at all speeds. No problems so far and dont expect any. Am getting about 20 MPG, but I do have heavy boots on. I drove it new from the new Nissan dealers In Newcastle upon Tyne just over 1 year ago and have had no communication from them since, so have to say dealer satisfaction is low, unlike Toyota who seemed to be in touch every month. Servicing will be carried out by independant garage for half nissan cost without affecting the warranty. If you have the money you wont go far wrong for a high powered sports car

George Lazzari, Tyne and Wear, November 2nd 2006

V6 300 3dr

I bought my 350Z back in Oct 04 and have run it trouble free for 45,000 miles to date. It's fantastic to drive and looks stunning, although it doesn't have the Audi or BMW badge it also doesn't look like it should driven by a girl. You do go through fuel and tyres, but you should know that when you buy it so don't complain, just enjoy the drive.

Tony Darley, East Yorkshire, October 13th 2006

V6 GT 3dr

I purchased my 350Z GT some 25 months ago and managed to avoid the long waiting list at the time by picking up a cancelled order. Without doubt, the 350Z is a 'muscle' car; my father said that it reminded him of the Austin Healey 3000. Despite his 72 years of age, he kept finding excuses to drive it whilst I was away on business, "just to make sure the battery doesn't go flat" - yeah, right! It's a great car to drive, with a superb soundtrack, good quality, reasonable economy (33mpg on a sedate run, less if you exercise your right foot) and without ruinous servicing costs. I've not experienced any quality or reliability problems and was looking forward to another 12 months with the car until the other weekend. When cresting a brow of a local single carriageway road at 50mph, I found a foreign articulated lorry on the wrong side of the road and decided that the hedgerow was a better bet than the side of a 44-tonne truck. All the airbags deployed, the seatbelt tensioners worked and whilst the car had only one untouched body panel (the rear hatchback), the passenger compartment remained completely intact and I walked away without a scratch. Looks like a trip to Nissan this weekend for another one, although my local BMW dealer is offering me very attractive terms on a 3.0si Z4 Sport. This is going to be a tough decision.

Richard Catlow, Kent, March 31st 2006

V6 GT 3dr

I have owned my 350Z since November 2003. The car is magic - it has great looks, and still turns heads wherever you go. The engine sounds fabulous, and the handling is brilliant. There's just one problem - there is an annoying knocking noise at the rear of the car on the nearside whenever the body rolls on uneven roads, or when using a multi-storey car park. The dealer replaced an anti-roll bar link, which apparently is a common fault. However, the noise is still there. Further investigation by the dealer of the shock absorbers and suspension at the rear still hasn't cured the problem. It seems to come from mid-height on the chassis. Anybody else encountered this problem, and if so, how is it rectified? It's annoying! Apart from that, I haven't encounterd any other problems - well, except that it's thirsty!

BRIAN PORRITT, TYNE AND WEAR, March 22nd 2006

V6 GT 3dr

I owned the 350Z at the end of 2003 when they first came out. I only kept it for 10 months, because I had a few problems with it. The fuel pump failed on it and it took up to three weeks for a replacement. The dealer said it didn't have a part number because the car was new. The driver's side electric window motor failed, too - again, this took another couple of weeks to fix, so I had to drive around with the window wedged up. There was a clicking on the back calipers when I reversed. This was down to a 'characteristic fault', they told me. I said that was not good enough. Finally, the speaker at the front on the passenger side sounded very distorted when the CD was playing, but when I pressed on my brake hard, it sorted itself. I'm sorry, Nissan but it just is not good enough. I thought I must have a jinxed car, or one of the first of the line. When I traded it in, I lost quite a bit of money, too. Maybe it was worth it, because now I've got a Porsche 911!

jason morgan, January 29th 2006

V6 GT 3dr

Purchased the Zed from a Bedfordshire dealer after extensive testing of 350Z, TT Quattro Sport and RX8. The TT was quick but a very hard ride and a bit uninvolved for the driver, the Rx8 needs lots of revs to get a decent speed. I highly recommend the 350Z for its design, quality and performance. You would be hard pushed to but a nicer 2 seater coupe for sub Β£30k. The reverse park sensors and GT pack are a must as are the stainless Zed door sills covers. I would avoid the steel air vent trims as they are glued on and come off easily. Overall a super car to own/drive. I hope in the future Nissan up the horses to 300 and bring out an auto version.

percy albuquerque, January 26th 2006

V6 GT 3dr

Living with this car is a delight and I would certainly recommend it to those people who are looking for an out-and-out, two-seat sports coupe. The performance of the Nissan main dealer that sold me the car was adequate. Compared with my 5 Series BMW, the 350Z is better in all departments - looks, build quality and driving experience. I can only assume your performance tester had a wet road to contend with because I regularly achieve between 5.4sec and 5.8sec in the 0-60mph sprint. This car is a snip at Β£28,500, assuming you are prepared to wait in the queue, and it will undoubtedly become a collectors' item long after the Mazda RX-8 has been forgotten.

Jeffrey Cox, September 26th 2005

V6 GT 3dr

By far the best car in its league. All you have to do to fall in love with this car is just turn that 3.5-litre beast on. I have driven the Audi TT and it's nothing compared with the 350Z. I also drove the Mazda RX-8 but it is no match for performance, build quality or looks. The 350Z is just a fantastic car to drive and it's such a head-turner. I was driving it one day and in front of me was a 1997 Porsche Carrera. It wasn't the Carrera that people were looking at but the Nissan! How about that? It is for sure the fastest in its league it's just a fantastic car. I would reccomend it to anyone; it's just a thrill. If you can go for the level-two package, it's worth the money.

Alessandro Taddei, louth, September 19th 2005