Nissan Note (06 – 13) Owner reviews

Car: NOTE MK2 (2014)1.2 DIG-S manual petrol Tekna. 2000 miles, running well. It's a good small car with good passenger space and easy driving characteristics. Suburbs: light to drive and comfortable. Cameras are useful but take some getting used to (see note for older drivers). I use Eco mode to drive moderately. Turning circle is big so parking may be limited but OK. Cameras only operates automatically in reverse but can be switched for other views. All views are limited in range. The system does not brake the car if danger is sensed - it's warning only. The boot is good for shopping but tight for larger items unless the seat and floor are adjusted. Good storage under floor is a plus. Boot hooks poor. Stop-start works well and can be switched off. NEEDS autofold mirrors, alarm and S-wheel reach. Country Roads: Generally secure/accurate handling, though brakes could be more responsive. DIG-S model has firmer suspension making ruts more noticeable, but it's still quite comfortable. Low gear and rev power is limited, especially if turning onto a steep hill from a standing start (even in normal mode. Auto lights and wipers are helpful. Car coped well enough with full load. Nav OK but nags. Motorways: Runs v. well in normal mode. Works best at higher speeds/revs and so easy to go too fast. It's a light car but is stable. Comfortable. GOOD FOR OLDER DRIVERS BUT CHECK INFO SCREEN AND CONTROLS WHILST WEARING DISTANCE GLASSES. SOME SET TOO LOW - CHECK!

David Lee, Kent, January 10th 2015

DiG-S Tekna 5dr

Not as practical as the older Note with less boot space and not as many storage places. Difficult to keep in a straight line on uneven roads and in strong winds. Fuel economy is not very good with it being very difficult to achieve 36mpg no matter how carefully the car is driven. Road noise often drowns out the radio. Even though we have the top-of-the-range Dig-S Auto it has manual (folding) mirrors. The auto engine cut-out defies logic - if you stop in traffic with the footbrake on and in gear the engine stops. But if you put the gear into NEUTRAL or PARK, or put the handbrake on the engine starts again. This means in order to keep the engine off when in a queue or at lights you need to keep the footbrake on with the gear in DRIVE. Would not buy another one but happy to keep this one for a year or two.

Ronald Brown, Hampshire, January 2nd 2015

Visia 5dr

This car is surprisingly spacious. The rear seat is adjustable to change the balance between boot space and rear seat legroom but don't think this is a compromise. Just a way of providing massive space for rear passengers. The Tech Pack provides a quite phenomenal facility. Cameras all round provide an overhead shot when parking, out of lane warnings, and much more. One problem on the road is the stiffness of the suspension. I would have preferred a softer ride than this car provides on today's hump laden roads. Economy doesn't seem to be quite as good as I had hoped but the car is only 3 months old and it appears to be improving. Certainly the engine is freeing up. My one gripe is the awful voice on the satnav. The pronunciation is appalling. When giving road numbers the A is emphasised in a strange way that is irritating. Added to this I often cannot understand road and place names. Of course this should tell you do meting of the car if the worst aspect is the satnav voice.

Jim Campbell, June 15th 2014

Visia 5dr

I P/E my previous Nissan Note 1.4 N-Tec+ for a new 2013 Note last November. My previous 1.4 note was a 1.4, 4-cylinder, engine with reasonable torque, and I averaged 47mpg. My new Note, a 1.2 Acenta Premium plus 'safety Pack' is a 3 cylinder 1.2 engine with 'Stop/Start function & Eco function, reduced torque and after over 1000mls I am averaging 47mpg. The car would have been better if Nissan retained the previous model and added the new technology to that. So although I quite like the new Note, I am very disappointed with the new engine, the previous engine was much better.

Chris Jones, Gloucestershire, January 10th 2014

DiG-S Acenta Premium 5dr

Chris Jones, Gloucestershire, January 10th 2014

Acenta Premium 5dr

I bought this car new in the summer of 2010 and have been mostly pleased with it. At the time of writing I have driven 42k largely trouble free miles, with the only problems being a reluctant-to-disengage starter motor, which was replaced under warranty, a leaking rocker cover gasket, which was not covered by the warranty but replaced as a good will gesture by the supplying dealer, and rust in the tailgate which was caused by the supplying dealer drilling into it to fit the number plate and leaving bare metal exposed to the elements. This last issue was also promptly sorted out by the supplying dealer. The car bashes along the motorway at 80-ish mph in an acceptable fashion, although it is a little low-geared for this type of work and isn't the quietest environment in which to travel. I'm achieving 41.8 mpg on a mixture of town and motorway driving, and I'm not particularly light footed. The interior has stood up well to hard family use, as has the paintwork although a couple of the alloy wheels are starting to deteriorate. Servicing is reasonably priced at the local franchised dealer, although I don't like the long service intervals (12500 miles) and change the oil in between services myself using genuine Nissan oil and filters, which surprisingly are cheaper than Halfords items! I get about 30k miles out of the tyres which are rotated to even out the wear, and have stuck with the original Pirelli's. Generally speaking, a good little car.

Scott Curtis, Kent, July 24th 2013

Acenta 5dr

My husband bought this car new in April 2008. It is very roomy and had lots of equipment including mp3 and bluetooth. It is nice to drive and there is not too much body roll although I would not go round corners as fast as I would in my own Honda Accord. We chose this car above the Ford Fiesta due to the 3 year 0% finance, 3 years servicing and 3 year RAC - no worry motoring. After 2 years (22000 miles) the brakes and shoes had to be replaced at a cost of £200. At the 3 year service we were given a further 1 year RAC cover for having the vehicle serviced by Nissan - great! The car is now just 4 years old. It started to misfire. Took it to our local garage and they replaced the coil on cylinder 4. Got the car back same day but it started to misfire again. Our diagnostic tool said misfire on cylinder 4. Took it back to the same garage next day. Took them over the weekend to decide it needed a genuine Nissan coil. Got the car back 2 days later but still misfired after only 20 miles. My husband changed the spark plugs to rule them out. No difference. Booked it into Nissan dealer. Charged us £50 for diagnostic test and said it was cured. Started misfiring again before we got a mile up the road. Been in the garage ever since and 3 days later still waiting to hear if it can be fixed and what they are going to charge us. It has been 3 weeks without a car. My 12 year old Honda Accord is taking my husband to work and back at the moment.

Tracey Burns, May 30th 2012

S 5dr

The Nissan Note is good to drive and well laid out but I have had a surprising number of faults with it. Engine speed controller failed within first year (repaired free of charge) Engine speed controller failed again in year 2 (repaired free of charge) Front suspension boots replaced in year 3 (repaired free of charge) Brake fluid master cylinder failed and replaced in year 4 at a cost of €550.00 Clutch failed and gerabox seal leak - replaced in year 4 at a cost of €725.00 with only 19000 miles on the clock I will be wary of buying another Nissan.

ka leavy, March 25th 2012

SE 5dr

A few years ago i had a new 1.6 petrol and had nothing but problems, ECU problem, washer bottle split, brakes failed on Beachy Head in Sussex,so after only 4 months sold it....Now years later i still like the car and have bought a 1.5 Diesel N.Tech, ex demo car...Very pleased so far, the consumption is around 58-65, although i have had 70 on a run of 120 miles.Like so many others i also think that the tyre situation is appauling,with the only quality tyre being Continental OR mid range Falcon, the other point is not being able to move the steering wheel in or out, i think that the biggest down side is the vehicle width, very narrow and when i change gear my arm bangs into the passenger's arm..all the N.Tech goodies work well,a am not happy with the ride quality as my last vehicle had 18" wheels and i expected the ride to be hard but not on a 16"....and WHY oh WHY, a "V" rating???, 149MPH,even the Honda Jazz has the same tyre but a down graded "H" Rating...Will they listen NO. Harry Baker South Lincs

Harry Baker, Lincs, December 16th 2011

dCi N-Tec 5dr

This is a good car and had it for nearly a year got it with 27,000 miles on it would agree on the tyre choice...there isnt any choice! and the only ones are EXPENSIVE. Car handles well in the country lanes and on the main roads 1.6 has good turn of speed. good interior room and boot space only thing is its slightly narrow in the front seats and you can rub shoulders easily now and again. and the seats themselves are a bit on the small side could be a bit wider and deeper good leg room in front though. As Lynn Western I also have a stuck rear seat the large section will not fold down, I would think that they are making a new part for this problem but maybe the earthquake has slowed up parts? will check later this year on a fix for this. fuel consumption is okay 42mpg average it seems to be frugal in and around town than out on the fast roads. Had a Peugeot 306 1.6 petrol which was the opposite for fuel (brilliant on a long run but thirsty in town) But Note is a good car its got an image problem seems that older people are driving them, WHY?... but its a good sensible family car.

Phil Tripcony, Cornwall, September 9th 2011

SVE 5dr

Bought new last September and now done 7000 miles. It's roomy and very civilised to drive for a car of this size and price. It's rather low geared which is good and bad as it means it picks up well but sounds a bit revvy at higher speeds. The ride is good and there are enough gadgets to keep you happy. The keyless ignition takes some getting used to and I still don't trust it. Sometimes it's a bit fiddly to get the starter button to turn but that's probably me. The passenger space is great but it would be helpful if the rear seat could be made to tumble forward and thus make the load space more practical to use.My previous car was a Honda Jazz which had the most versatile interior I've ever encountered. On balance the Note is better to drive but the Jazz had a more useful load space.

David Sargood, Essex, February 7th 2009

Acenta S 5dr

On the road - i've had mine since september and it breaks down alot, you drive along and suddenly the car de-rates itself and puts you into a limp home of 10mph. Brilliant for motorway travel as it certainly keeps you alert as you never know when this surprise will happen.I have had this problem fixed 4 times and it has just happened again so its back to the garage for a 5 time. Running costs - i would recomend you never fill the tank up, simply let it break down and the garage will have put some in for you when they "test" your car Nissan aftersales tell you constant lies and they aren't even clever enough to remember them. They always assure me the car is fixed but it usually breaks down within 2 weeks I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO BUY A NISSAN NOTE AND I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO YEARS OF PROBLEMS If i could afford the legal costs i would reject the car. And many thanks to the people of the Sunderland plant for my great car

patrick scott, February 3rd 2009

Acenta S 5dr

good car, easy to drive amd very manouverable. Comfort and space good. Servicing costs too expensive, i.e. £508.00+ 2nd service, not made aware of cost. Will not buy Nissan again after being loyal customer for over 15 years.

dominic pritchard, devon, January 15th 2009

dCi SVE 5dr

I bought my Nissan Note to replaced my Saab 9-3 . Not an obvious alternative but I wanted to downsize. A Note was my first consideration but the secondhand price of an 8 month old Tekna was hard to resist. I carry fair bit of work kit and this was a problem with the Corolla I owned before the Saab. With the Note I can stow most of my kit under the boot floor and in other cubbies inside the cabin. Passenger space is good, you sit a bit higher than a normal car but not overly so. 4 people fit comforably and the only place I feel the pinch is in shoulder room which is about 4" less than previously. The 1.6 petrol engine is good and the steering reasonably sharp on the open road (both better than a Mazda 3 1.6 I test drove). Unsurprisingly the high speed ride and refinement is less than I am used to as is the internal drumming when I drive over Edinburgh's cobbled streets. On normal roads up to 60mph refinement and performance are good. Internally the Note is well screwed together and has stacks of kit: 6CD changer, MP3 connection, climate control, half leather, auto lights and wipers etc. Some of the plastics feel cheap (the seat adjustment levers, gear-lever gater and parts of the lower dashboard) which is in contrast to the soft feel leather on the seats. Overall fuel consumption is better than I expected with busy town driving eaking out a respectable 36 MPG. I cannot comment on reliability or servicing yet. Overall I am pretty pleased with the Note so far.

Ken Sharp, December 29th 2008

Tekna 5dr

I bought this car 2 weeks ago and so far I'm very pleased with it. 48 mpg is the best I have achieved with the Note even on a long motorway trip going no faster than 70mph, so much for the claimed 55mpg for faster driving. The engine noise becomes quite noticeable at 70mph so even on the Continent one is not tempted to go much faster because it all gets a bit buzzy. It feels like it needs another higher gear. My main gripe with the car is the comparatively small dials which are hard to read. The speedo is partially obscured by the steering wheel rim when the steering wheel is set low and the seat is set high. The kph numbers on the dial are tiny and are completely obscured by the needle, a serious flaw and a very poor design. A satnav should help with this problem I hope. There is no engine temperature gauge so it's difficult to know when to boost the fan without being blasted with cold air. The seats seem very flat and hard and are not particularly comfortable on longer trips. The best things are the various storage compartments in the cabin and the false floor in the boot, the huge amount of leg and headroom and the solid feel of the car apart from some of the hard plastics used inside. I also like the way the car is made to look a bit quirky with the funky front and rear light arrangements. I would buy another one as it's a fun car for running about in and has loads of space for four adult passengers.

Edward Roberts, WEST SUSSEX, December 9th 2008

SE 5dr

bought second hand with 11k on the clock. Engine is prone to surge at low speed ie in traffic and when decellerating. Numerous attempts by Nissan dealership fail to remedy the cause. Brakes are noisy when operated, cleaned by dealership with no difference to performance. Now the engine howls which is diagnosed as the auxillary belt and guess what! its not covered by the 3 year warranty. The dealership inform me that they have had several go, so be warned, expect a bill at about 12,500 miles. Ridiculous!!!!

robert wolstenholme, cheshire, November 8th 2008

SE 5dr

Had this since 3 months old as an ex demonstrator. Now done about 48,000 miles and had no reliability issues apart from glitch with the 6 disc CD player that fixed itself a few days later and hasn't reoccurred. Love the storage features, got plenty of space for 4 adults. Possibly have issues with back (lumbar?) support though. The one major annoyance is tyres. Mine are a unique size that ONLY Continental make and they seem to wear out quickly even though I am not hard on them.

David Walton, Northants, October 22nd 2008

dCi SVE 5dr

Mine is an automatic and I have covered just over 12000 miles in 6 months. Good :- The mpg is reasonable. My two teen-age children like it and find it roomy and funky. I love the engine and gearbox and find it is very nippy. The intelligent key works fine. The ride is hard and speed bumps really jar the car but I suppose the handling makes up for it. The bluetooth in the radio/CD player works really well with my mobile phones. Bad:- I paid an extra £700 for the technology pack consisting of reversing sensors and upgraded alarm. These are dealer fitted and neither work as they should. The fog light is on all the time due to this BCM problem. Great! I find the road noise really loud at speeds over 60mph and it's a lot worse than my wife's Fiesta. The seat material is both uncomfortable and impractical. The stitching on the leather steering wheel is very "sharp/hard" and really makes holding the wheel unpleasant. It steams up really easily in damp weather and I have the a/c on all the time to combat this. The electric power steering is a lot heavier than my old Espace. The front tyres need replacing within the next month and so will have lasted about 13,000 miles. Overall this car gets you from A to B but I would not have another one.

James Belmega, September 13th 2008

Tekna 5dr

had a few teething problems from new with the BCM, first of all the fog light came on on its own and wouldnt turn off so they replaced the BCM then the rear wiper wouldnt return to its park possition yep it was the BCM again so they reprogrammed it then we couldnt get the car to start yep you guessed it it was the BCM needed REprograming and as of now we cant use the front drivers window button to put the window automaticly to the top, and we have a friend who has just got his note and has started to have the same problem with the fog light (BCM) its about time nissan sorted this problem out

Graham Chapman, West Yorkshire, July 21st 2008

SVE 5dr

I've just traded in my car (07 plate) for a Qashqai. This was done purely for space for holidaying but I would like to give others my review for the Note. Prior to the Note I owned a 2.2dci Tino extras and I initially found the drop in spec from Tino to Note a let down. Once I was familiarised with the Note and all of it's trait's I was delighted. It's nippy about town hold's it's own on the motorway and did all that was asked of it. Fuel consumption led a little to be desired when 'the wife' was driving it (very heavy right foot) but I managed a healthy 38-40mpg about town and easily 50-55mpg on the motorway. High driving position is a plus and it seated 4 adults with surprising comfort. This is a very healthily priced car and would have no hesitation in recommending it. My parting shot is there is'nt a huge difference in the cab (space-wise) between the Note and Qashqai.

Iain Mills, Lanarkshire, June 9th 2008