Nissan X-Trail (07 - 12) Owner reviews

I bought this as a compromise, because I thought it would be more car-like than a proper 4X4 and capable enough off road for my needs. Big boot and a pokey 2.5 petrol engine. So it satisfies a lot of practical needs, but it won't make you feel good driving it. Handling is poor unless you drive like you have a goldfish in a bowl on the dash. The gearchange is snatchy, and on the road this can lead to some jerky first changes. Off road, in mud or snow it requires finesse and a feathered clutch to make sure you can set off without stalling or spinning. Low ratio would be nice, and a touch more ground clearance, but then it's a compromise car not a real 4X4. Other niggles-the radio is appalling, and the heater dangerously located in the bowels of the dashboard. Changing any setting requires the driver to look down at the dark digital readout, toggle through the unwanted modes by pressing tiny buttons while trying not to crash. Having said all this, with a set of Michelin Latitude Cross on the front, I have found it remarkably capable off road. It gets round muddy fields and rutted tracks with very little trouble. But that is mostly down to the tyres. Slippery grass slopes, snowy roads and sandy beaches all handled with boring reliability as long as you are sensible. And that's the problem. It's capable but boring. Bought cheap off eBay, it has cost hardly anything in repairs. No belt to change, no turbo to blow; it'll probably go for years! Oh joy!

Matthew Stamp, February 1st 2015

i S 5dr

Owned for 4 months and drove down through France in summer, fantastic holiday car with loads of space for family and luggage. Have managed to get 44 calculated mpg over a tankful which I think is fantastic for size of car. Looking forward to testing its winter capabilities. Whole family love this vehicle !

David Fane, October 4th 2013

dCi 173 Tekna 5dr

Well it's time for Precious to go. I posted a review in June 2006 and we've done what we said we should have done back then and bought a VW. To be fair it's not been all bad but the yearly bills are just getting bigger every time. She's had six, oh yes six front brake calipers, i made a jig and can have them off and serviced in two hours now. On her fourth rear calipers. New brake pipes. New turbo at 10k miles. New front discs. New anti roll bar bushes every service. Paint on the wheels is now like a textured coating and has virtually disappeared. Engine has never been quiet, my old tractor, registered in 1969 runs smoother. Nissan were a nightmare to deal with, so have dealt with an independent local garage sincee the warranty ran out. Precious is eight years old, 29k miles, looks good as new bar the wheels. Ventilation/demisting has been rubbish from day one, exhaust brackets are rotting away although the pipe is fine. It's been an experience but it ends next weekend when she takes her last run, I dearly hope she makes it, to be replaced by a Tiguan.

Dave Vernon, August 24th 2013

dCi 136 SVE 5dr

I've owned this X-trail for just under a year (62 plate). During that time it has been totally reliable and is a pleasure to drive. It copes well in really bad weather (snow and flooded roads during the winter months) and also the many pot holes that seem to be the norm now. Having, owned a CRV in the past, I do concede that it is less car like, but that does make it more rugged. Many don't like the boxy looks, but I kind of prefer it to the curvy looks of the many other SUV rivals. I suppose the sign of a good car, is whether you would buy again, and if that is the case then I certainly would. Many may prefer the more prestigious brands LR, VW and so on. Having had a VW in the past I'm not too sure what the fuss is. Anyway, I digress overall the X-trail is a good buy and I don't think you can go far wrong.

Keegan Streeter, July 3rd 2013

dCi 173 Tekna 5dr

My car Nissan x trail 173 teenage 5 door now had car for 2 years mph 46 per gallon have had only two faults one aerial leaked water and rust on Crome fitting ond on tail gate both were rectified very efficiently. This is the second x trail I have owned both cars have had no problems only the new one is mor gives more to the gallon and is very reliable and quieter

Edwin Hayman, Norfolk, June 26th 2013

dCi Trek 5dr

After a long search for a new car I went for the 2.2 DCi X Trail in Sport trim. I'm very happy with the car, it drives very well compared to other similar 4x4 and the cabin is well laid out. The level of kit was improved in early 2005 so go for one of these if you can, 6 disk CD, air con, huge sunroof, 17in 6 spoke alloys and cruise control as standard. During my extensive search I had read of problems with the DCi engine but decided to take the chance. The car I bought has an impeccable service history and is in very good condition. 2 weeks into ownership sitting at traffic lights idling and when I went to move off the car had no power and wouldn't rev above 2000 rpm, I was able to stop and restarted the engine and all back to normal, this fault continued to happen when ever I idled and sometime during normal driving. The engine light came on after a couple of days so off to the garage. I'd put my symptoms into the web and it came up as a solenoid on the diesel pump, garage agreed and changed it for Β£305 (not Β£2000 as some garages used to say for the whole diesel pump). A week later I pulled out of a junction and a large pop from the engine followed by a banshee type screaming, blown turbo! Β£700 plus fitting. Luckily I bought the car from a garage and they very kindly paid for both issues at local garages despite the seller being a small garage 300 miles from where I live. RS Morphet in Sedburgh (highly recommended). Fingers crossed that that's my problems over.

Douglas Traquair, Aberdeenshire, December 3rd 2011

dCi 136 Sport 5dr

I have just picked up my X trail from a Cambridge dealer even though I live in West Yorkshire. Why?...because I managed to save almost Β£7k off the list price. The 160 mile drive back home allowed me to get to know the car faster than usual. It must be said, I am very impressed. The 2.0 diesel engine has plenty of oomph! I used to have the SE+ in 2002 and the improvement is phenominal. Great specification including Sat Nav, 6 disc CD system, bluetooth handsfree phone setup. Slightly puzzling is the six, yep count 'em, six cupholders in the front, I don't think it matters how far I'm driving, I couldn't drink that much! One slight issue relates to the auto box. Although its a very smooth change, I did notice that 6th gear doesn't engage until 76mph. Not ideal on a 70mph speed limit. The simple way round is to knock the lever over to manual and shift into 6th, helps with the fuel economy. I bought this vehicle as I have bought a caravan and will be towing this year. I'm hoping that the auto box combined with the cruise will be a great combination. I will update this review during the course of the year to include the towing feedback.

David Kirven, December 30th 2008

dCi Sport Expedition 5dr

I've got an 05 plate model bought brand new from Ancaster's in Croydon and has 43K on the clock. I have to say it has been excellent in all aspects - long haul abroad, in town and off road. The intercooler went but this was due to a casting flaw, the vehicle was still under warranty so no problems and no quibble from Ancaster who I have to say do an excellent job servicing and are very customer focused - can only speak as I find of course. What I would advise all owners is to replace the oil & filter every 4K or 5K and NOT at 12K. You will find this helps the life of the turbo & engine. Use a decent semi-synthetic like Millers XFE. The oil also acts as a coolant for the turbo & in addition it's worth letting the engine idle for a minute after a long run before switching it off. Doing this helps to keep the turbo lubricated as it slows & cools down. Switching engine off means NO oil to the turbo and it runs dry !! Having owned numerous derv vehicles in the past, regular oil change is the life line without doubt. Also worth supplying own oil at services, makes BIG difference to final invoice !! Only other problem is that the CD does not like playing in the cold, once cabin warms it's okay.

R LONG, December 10th 2008

dCi 136 Sport 5dr

I replaced my problem ridden 2007 Honda CRV after the Differential had to be replaced with Nissan’s Special Edition Arctix Expedition X-Trail 2.0 Diesel (171bhp). I have driven my X-Trail 3000 miles and so far it has proven to be faultless. The SUV is bigger and better than the old model. The cabin is roomy for 5 adults, with lots of storage places, including a large boot, with a split level system with drawers. It is a very comfortable SUV to drive on and off road, with many extras as standard. Towing a fully laden caravan (1390kg) in automatic i4x4 drive is excellent, as there is no discernable pitching effect. Even the hand brake is effective on this reincarnation. In fact it makes towing a less onerous task. Economy is 37 - 40 mpg when solo and when towing it is around 23 – 25 mpg. However, if you put your foot hard down on to the accelerator, the above figures quickly diminish. If you want a good all round SUV that is excellent on tarmac as well as off road, comfortable to drive, the X-Trail should be a consideration

S Henge, November 14th 2008

dCi 173 Sport Expedition 5dr

I was flabbergasted at the quality of my brand new 2008 nissan x-trail automatic and appalled by their service. from zero hour the car was jerking at gear change, the service center took 4 visits and a month to figure out the problem. when the problem was found, they needed to change the dashboard at the service garage. would you beleive I have been waiting 4 months for the part to be delivered from the factory which is situated 5 miles from the approved nissan service center . I offered to collect it myself but they keep saying it's been delivered by DHL. who should I beleive? a respected company like dhl who had never let me down ? or nissan who dont seem to care much for their customer satisfaction? one more fault developed a month from purchase, the carpet underneath my feet became bulgy, how? it came undone from its flimsy plastic fixture. good engine, shame about workmanship and time lag.

fouad nehad, October 29th 2008

16v Aventura 5dr

I own a 06 2.5 4x4 petrol auto X-Trail which had 7700 mls on the clock,bought from main dealer in Bournemouth,its the best vehilcle I have ever owned,previous to that I had a Tino. Ever so comfy, great drive,in July08 I had fitted a L.P.G system, so its now dual fuel 85 Ltr donut tank costing to fill Β£21.00 a week half the price of petrol,so to date I am very pleased with its performance.

DAVID CHILCOTT, DORSET, October 9th 2008

16v Columbia 5dr

UNFORTUNATELY I OWN THE 2.2 DCI SPORT, 54 PLATE. WHERE DO I START!!! WE HAVE OWNED THE CAR FOR JUST UNDER 2 YEARS, WE ARE ONTO TURBO NO 3, RADIATOR NO 2 AND NOW A BRAND NEW ENGINE!!! WHEN WE BOUGHT THE CAR, WE NOTICED A LEAK IN THE INTERCOOLER, SENT IT TO THE DEALER WHO LAUGHED AT US AND TOLD US THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG. AT APPROX 48K MILES, THE TURBO WENT AND IT COST US Β£500 TO REPLACE. 4 MONTHS LATER, THE TURBO WENT AGAIN, THIS TIME DECIDED TO TAKE THE RADIATOR AND THE WHOLE ENGINE WITH IT, AS WELL AS SCARING THE WIFE AND 2 KIDS!!! ALL I WOULD SAY, IS STAY WELL AWAY FROM NISSAN, THEY KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM BUT COULD NOT CARE ABOUT AFTERSALES. TOOK IT TO THE DEALER WHO DECIDED TO BEND ME OVER AND SHAFT ME WITH Β£800 TO TELL ME SOMETHING I ALREADY KNEW. THEY CHARGED ME Β£500 TO TAKE A TURBO AND RADIATOR OFF AND PUT A NEW ONE ON (LABOUR ONLY), CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THIS IS RIGHT? LAUGHABLY, THEY WANTED Β£7500 OFF ME FOR A NEW ENGINE WHEN THE CAR IS ONLY WORTH Β£7K. HAVING SAID THIS, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE DRIVE AND THE FUEL CONSUMPTION IS VERY GOOD WHICH IS A SHAME AS WE HAVE HAD OUR FINGERS BURNT WELL AND TRULLY OFF WITH THIS CAR. IT IS MY SOLE MISSION IN LIFE NOW TO TELL EVERYONE NOT TO BUY A NISSAN!!!!!!!!

marc walmsley, September 22nd 2008

dCi 136 Sport 5dr

Bought a 2.2dci Sport new in May 2004. Have now covered 72K - latest 1500 mile round trip to south of France without a hitch (wish I had gone for cruise control as an extra). Downsides are expensive service bills (Β£400) not unusual and turbo's - no 3 now installed! I bought the extended warranty and very glad I did as turbo no 3 fitted at 68K and new window motor. CD player now on the blink just outside warranty... Nissan really needs to address these problems. However, likely to by another soon as it has been a great family car. Late reg X-trails are a bargain - until you see and drive the new one. The new X-trail is light years ahead in every area. Buy either (and keep in warranted), you will not be disappointed.

Robert Ayley, Kent, August 31st 2008

dCi 136 Sport 5dr

Read a lot of mixed reviews of the Nissan X-Trail but still decided in the end to get a demo '06 Columbia dCi. Had an MPV before but felt that a 4x4 was more suitable now. Tried a Grand Picasso, Sportage, Tuscon, ceed SW, Outlander before parting my hard earned cash. Was really worried about comments on the turbo/inter-cooler failure, juttering above 3,000rpm, bad fuel consumption etc. But after more than 2,000 miles, I must say that I am relieved that it has been a sound buy. The car does drive brilliantly, both on and off road. No problems with the engine (touch wood !), and I am surprised that I am getting between 36 - 42 mpg (in London ! - though this means not flooring the throttle, cruising down hills, and seldom going above 2,000rpm in town). With sky high diesel prices, I'm glad of this. I also take the advice of letting the engine run for a minute before switching off after a hard, long distance journey. The sat nav is fantastic (much better than all the previous Garmins I've own, especially in picking up TMCs). All in all, a great car to drive and own (so far !) - believe in the best reviews you have read on it - as I was sceptical at first !

John Butler, London, June 6th 2008

dCi 136 Columbia 5dr

I bought used from a dealer with 18,000 miles on the clock and not a mark on it. It's very well equipped with leather seats, air-con, and sat-nav. I was reluctant to go for the 2.5 petrol at first, having driven the 2.2dCi and really liked it. However, as a low-mileage driver, the petrol made more sense. The engine can be a bit coarse when revved hard, but with 165bhp, it's no slouch. With a lighter right foot, I'm getting a good 30mpg out of it. My main reason for buying the X-Trail was to transport the family and dog, and it does this job brilliantly. I used to have a MkV Golf which I loved as it did everything I could possibly want out of a car, apart from having a decent-sized boot. The X-trail fixes that. Great car.

christian betts, May 23rd 2008

SVE 5dr

have completed 800 miles,adventura explorer 150 diesel,goes ok,steering ok,but have big problem with towing trailers,the ride for driver and passenger is awful,you know all too well that there is a trailer on the back.as I show vintage engines at rallies the load and ride of the trailer is a known factor,one trailer loaded is 400 kilos another about 800 kilos,plus a third twin axle at 1400 kilos,the trailers ride straight and tow up to 60 mph ok its just the rough bumpy ride felt in the vehicle,any one had similar problems,have tried variety of tyre pressures and nose load.one good point the rear camera makes backing up to trailer very easy.wish the satnav took post codes.the tray under boot floor is great for tool /tow rope storage.Fourwheel drive is good it towed a trailer across a very wet showsite field in auto mode without any noticeable wheelslip.

Nigel McBurney, Hampshire, May 10th 2008

dCi Aventura Explorer 5dr

I have had it for a week today. there is a jerk as the automatic gear changes, like a thump from behind. it disappears at the dealers garage, then plays up again when they re not around. still cant figure out how to operate roof rack headlights. but the car is smooth, fixture is good, i have a different model in egypt to the car displayed here...there is a very handy sort of extra glove compartment for the driver with power supply handy for my ipod or mobile phone. the insturment panel in the middle of dash board needs getting used to> not bad though, much smoother than my previous cherokee.

fouad nehad, May 4th 2008

i Aventura 5dr

Having seen some of the comments regarding the diesel X-Trail I'm glad I chose the 2 ltr petrol Sport version. I have owned the car for 5 years and covered 49000 miles. I have never had to claim under warranty, the car has not let me down because of mechanical/electrical problems. I average about 30 MPG, combined figure. I get it serviced & MOT'D once a year at my Nissan Dealer. It cost me Β£297 this year. Not bad for one years motoring. It is a comfortable family car. There is slight wear and tear on the right bolster cushion on the drivers seat due to me getting in and out. The interior plastics can look cheap and nasty but over time they have proved to be hard wearing and easy to clean. I clean it regularly and the car still looks like new, with slight corrosion on the alloy wheels(mainly on the inside out of view). Still on the same exhaust from new,only one full set of new tyres from new and still on the same brake pads and discs. It seems that Nissan are better at building petrol engines than Diesel engines. Therefore if you only drive less than 10,000 miles per anum consider a petrol version. I still rate the X-Trail as a very good family car and a little bit different from the run of the mill family cars on sale. So to summarise. Comfortable, reliable, good ride/handling for this type of vehicle,plently of room inside for passengers/luggage, well specified and a smooth petrol engine.

Mike Baldwin, Essex, April 18th 2008

i Sport 5dr

I bought a 54-plate SVE with 20,000 miles at two years old. All was fine until the three years was up! Then the intercooler failed six weeks after the three-year service was done - it cost Β£250, then this month the turbo failed. Disappointed or what? With the help of the dealer, I raised a complaint with Nissan UK - within two days, they'd offered a free turbo with me paying for gaskets and labour. I'm now working on getting compensation for the intercooler through the same route. The car itself is good to drive - it has an excellent driving position and all the bells-and-whistles I didn't know I needed. Don't be fooled by the size, though - the haulage capacity of the boot area is less than a decent-sized estate.

D Cocks, April 18th 2008

dCi 136 SVE 5dr

I've got a 2005 X-Trail 2.2dci Sport. I have only owned it since Nov 2007 and it only lasted 12 weeks before it started to cut out at 2000 revs, which would not be funny had i been towing a caravan. This happened twice before it had to go back and have a new fuel pump. Then in April the Turbo went. Thank god that the car is still under warranty. Nissan still deny that there are any problems with either of these faults. I now see that i have only two options left. I can either sell the car before the warranty runs out or i can need to get an extended warranty that will cover these parts. I really wish that i had read these reports before i brought the car.

Leonie Holzer, Bucks, April 9th 2008